• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Invalid node in PDF document

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Perl program which generates some PDF files. When these files are opened by Adobe Acrobat Reader DC in Windows 10 there is an error message 'The document page tree contains an invalid node'. Apart from the message the pages appear to render correctly.

Screenshot_20210302_120306.png
Other pdf readers don't produce the error message.

How can I obtain more information about the invalid node? With this information it might be possible fix my program so that it produces error free PDF files.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will not get more info than that from Reader. You will need to use a PDF debugging tool to find out more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Request you to kindly share the sample PDF file and acrobat version you are using.

You can find the version using the steps mentioned below:
Go to Help -> About Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

Thanks,

Sweta Karn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Acrobat Reader DC 21.001.20142.30912.

I don't seem to be able to upload PDF files here but You can access my sample files at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wqyw9bx_KJczFL4z2H70_Sq8obh1qeWY?usp=sharing 

The files sample1.pdf and sample2.pdf were generated from the first two pages of sample,pdf using a Perl program.

Acrobat reader can open both sample.pdf and sample1.pdf without any problem but produces the error message 'The document page tree contains an invalid node' for sample2.pdf. Experience with splitting longer multipage documents shows that the error message appears for all pages except the first. All the pages do however appear to render correctly.

I appreciate that Acrobat reader may well be correctly reporting a non critical error but I am hoping that it might be possible to identify what error was introduced by the Perl program in the hope that we might then be able to modify it to produce error free documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that the xref tables of sample1 and sample2 are not correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, as well as the bad xref table there is a subtle error in the splitter.

The original PDF has an open action to show page 1, perfectly normal. But the open action is left untouched by the splitter. This leaves a document with one page, and an open action to show - what - a page that no longer exists. You won't see an error in most apps, because they ignore the open action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines