• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

McAfee installed when updating Reader

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone at Adobe realize how stupid and annoying it is that McAfee gets installed when updating Reader, unless you uncheck a box?  I live in Fremont and really feel like walking down to Adobe's headquarters and getting in someone's face about it.  Ditto for Flash updates, Google toolbar, etc.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2010 Dec 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you are installing it!  The download links to the installers and updaters without bundled software are posted multiple times every day in this forum, yet people keep using the DLM and get unwanted software delivered with it.

Don't complain to us; complain to yourself, or complain to Adobe.

You may not have read the whole thread.

Many people have felt the need to go to the trouble of registering solely to add their voices to this topic.

I know what happened to me.

Several others had the identical experience.

Gre K

mat chavez

cruizinJohnx

mamosa  09

infinitywraith

Daiseyoops

Jamie McDaniel

Are we all either stupid or liars ?

links to the installers and updaters without bundled software 
are posted multiple times every day in this forum

We were supposed to find this forum before we updated Reader ?

I had never heard of this forum until this happened.

I joined thinking that since the OP's post was already here perhaps there was some interest in this. I also thought Adobe representatives would monitor these forums and make the appropriate changes.

It happened to me in June of this year and it appears that no changes have been made.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform was suggested above.

I will send them a link to this thread.

Maybe it will make someone there sit up and take notice.

Message was edited by: annoyed231 to reformat the second quote

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2011 Mar 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please point me to those "download  links to the installers and updaters without bundled software which are posted  multiple times every day...."

I can't find them and I need to be able to point my clients to a download of the PDF reader that will not trick them into installing the dreaded McAfee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 06, 2011 Aug 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you are installing it!  The download  links to the installers and updaters without bundled software are posted  multiple times every day in this forum, yet people keep using the DLM  and get unwanted software delivered with it.

Don't complain to us; complain to yourself, or complain to Adobe.

"The download  links to the installers and updaters without bundled software are posted  multiple times every day"

Would you be so kind as to post any one of these links as I do not have the time or patience to search.

Many thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

or

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But other users must have the time and the patience to provide them to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 14, 2011 Aug 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other users?? It was a request made to the ONE user who had posted having knowledge of the information requested. So yes, I, like most people, lack the patience to unnecessarily search for the proverbial needle in a haystack when the information provider could so easily reveal its source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2011 Aug 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PleaseHelpMe#24666978678 wrote:

Other users?? It was a request made to the ONE user who had posted having knowledge of the information requested. So yes, I, like most people, lack the patience to unnecessarily search for the proverbial needle in a haystack when the information provider could so easily reveal its source.

Then you should complain directly to Adobe. These user to user forums are not a channel for addressing Adobe, and it's not the fault of fellow users if Adobe does not provide easily any information you that may require. It has been other users, not Adobe, who have provided answers in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 19, 2011 Aug 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't need to complain to anyone. Unlike you it seems, I don't feel the need to spend half my life trawling this forum looking to bitch at every opportunity.

I asked someone a question, I received their reply, just what it had to do with you I don't know, or why you continue justifying your initial interference is a mystery.

Feel free to get a life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 31, 2013 Aug 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Returning to the origanal thread.  STOP INSTALLING MACAFEE~!!!!!

Now there is not even a click box you get it after Adeobe stuffs another update on you no matter what.

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2011 Mar 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happened to me and makes me extremely angry especially because it wasn't even an option or one that was so well hidden that someone who is quite used to dodging the nuisance of extra applications getting downloading could miss.

While using Adobe Reader a pop-up came up directed from the Adobe website (or appeared to be) which instructed that Adobe Reader X was available with more features and did I want to download it.  I did.  When the download manager completed it said that Adobe Reader had been installed along with McAffee which I immediately de-installed.

Have some respect Adobe.  Don't push other products on us - if you want to promote them fine but at least give us the choice of what to install and what not to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2011 Mar 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem today while installing Adobe Reader X. The major problem I have is that it did not ask me if I wanted to install McAfee Security Scan Plus or not, it just installed it. This should be illegal!!! I do not mind if they ask, but installing without my permission is truly wrong.

Two things I can see going wrong; #1 it slows down my computer & #2 it opens up the chance for viruses to exploit the software. I already have virus protection & DO NOT WANT "McAfee Security Scan Plus" ON MY COMPUTER!!!!

Adobe you need to fix this!

Josh Delcore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not just a problem but can be a major issue for compliance issues at companies where some

employees must have admin rights to do their job and pc already has a corporate version of Mcafee installed and seeing extra Mcaffee product short cuts can and will drive helpdesk tech crazy thinking its malware or worse a trojan and force them to reimage pc back to new and clients starts whole issue all over again.

It is a nightmare that has already happened for my helpdesk crew and this prechecked install 3rd party software is a bad choice in a major way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happened when I updated to the latest flash player version.

Is there anything we can do?

This isn't right. Adobe must stop this practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2011 Mar 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just found this thread as a result of a Google after having seen McAfee being installed - Yes, after all this time I was unaware!

I innocently took an update from within Firefox and got no warnings.

The point about software installation in corporate environments is something I'd like to emphasise. Licence concerns and software clashes....

As a consumer, I'm getting more annoyed by bundled products being offered and needing to be unticked but this unwarned, unchecked, forced download and installation is exceptional for giving no option.

Whilst taking software "push" to the next level, Adobe have done it with not just the sort of benign product which can be removed cleanly, they've done it with McAfee.... A product which has achieved stellar notoriety as an invasive product which is difficult to remove.

To mess with people's chosen virus and intrusion prevention is a very risky business - Have Adobe's lawyers been told what the marketting people are up to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2011 Mar 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also just found this thread as result of Google search ("adobe install mcafee annoying" to be specific"). As a tech who frequently sets up computers and downloads/updates Adobe software, the auto-selected McAfee option box is downright irritating. Not only is McAfee one of the worst AntiVirus tools (didn't Comcast recently cancel their contract with McAfee after thousands of their customers lost data directly due to the "free" McAffee software?), but to make it so that the option is very easy to miss for the average person simply updating software is downright aweful.

Adobe really needs "fix" this...or at least make the box UNCHECKED by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2011 Mar 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely a problem.  On my home computer, on Chrome, I was able to uncheck the "install McAfee" box.  HOWEVER, at work, using Firefox, there was NO box.  Adobe installed a Firefox addon to install Reader, and I had to restart Firefox to get it to work.  As soon as Firefox restarted, the Adobe add on started - and when I looked at it, it had already installed McAfee.  NO option to turn it off, NO box to check, NOTHING to do but uninstall McAfee.  Which, thankfully, I was able to do swiftly and without it mucking anything up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 10, 2011 Mar 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's start a facebook page to register the number of people who find this offensive.

If Egypt can over turn their government using facebook we should be able to stop Adobe and MacAffee from force feeding us software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2011 Mar 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me also and I did not see any checkbox option on download!!! Infuriating to say the least. This is not only annoying, but potentially destructive to your computer. Having more than one security installed causes conflict and possible system instability. Hope they get sued by someone whose computer crashes because of this!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2011 May 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also just happened to me and I did not see any opt-out box. Totally non-customer oriented approach to their customers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 16, 2011 May 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Business 101:

Server space and bandwidth ARE NOT FREE, so there are two options for something as downloaded as Reader.

1. Start charging for something everyone needs to read PDFs, which will go over like a fart in an elevator... or

2. Get someone like McAffee (which I'll agree is a terrible choice) to pay for the bandwidth by adding a download of their crappy free virus scan software with the Reader download and leave it up to the end user to uncheck the box or get something they don't really like or want (or need).

Personally I've never had it download with a new version of Reader, but then I stop and read EVERY box that pops up during the process before I click agree of OK anywhere.

All the griping here won't change this. Adobe doesn't really want to charge a buck or two to everyone who downloads Reader and this is how they keep from doing it, whether anyone likes it or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no opt out option. That is the basis of our complaint if you'd bother to read it and not with business reality we have all grown accustomed to.

Sent from my iPod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. The problem the normal notification about the install is absent. We

all know by now how this kind of notification takes place. The normal

practise was not followed. Therefore this is a deliberately disceitful

tactic. Shame on Adobe. For allowing it, or for not auditing the process.

Either way, Adobe should fess up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Off course the "reader" is free. Adobe makes money when they sell the software that creates PDF files at a hefty price. If they did not give away the reader for free then so many people would just refuse to read the documents and then the popularity and universatility of the program would cease to be. They then could not sell the program at all.

I own Adobe Acrobat (the PDF creator) and enjoy using it. But if my clients get frustrated and start refusing to get the reader...... then I will have no incentive to continue using or buying future upgrades of this software.

I have no problem with Adobe having a large advertisment for McAfee or who ever they wish, on their page, the problem is with the deceitful and sneeky way they try to trick people into downloading the McAfee crap.

If Adobe isn't careful they are going to get a bad reputation like McAfee already has.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2013 Nov 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not only Adobe Reader, also Adobe Flash Player.

when i update my Flash Player to the lastet version, it installed also McAfee Security Scan Plus, and i was not able to disable this.

adobe, fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2013 Nov 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use the offline installers that are not bundled with any 3rd-party software?

Both Flash Player and Reader installers are posted dozens of times every day (including in this very topic).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines