• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not Able to Copy Text from PDF

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to right click on the pdf document and the whole screen would turn blue, copy it, and then put it in a Word document.  Now Adobe Reader does not do that anymore.  I am also not able to copy a portion of the text in the pdf document. How can I fix?  Thanks, Lisa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you select a few words of the text? If you can't, you don't have proper text but an image of text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, go to File > Properties and check the security tab to see if it has been locked down:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the documents is a pdf that I created from Excel.  So there is no text to be copied.  I just want to right click and have the whole document copied to place in a Word document.  The other pdf document I received via email.  Same thing, I want to right click for the whole document to be copied into a Word document.

I checked the above properties and those all match to what you have advised.  I just want it to go back to how it used to be where I can right click on the pdf (it turns blue) and copy it.  This just changed about a week ago and I don't know why.  So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the whole thing turns blue, that usually means it is an image. Does it say "Copy Image" when you right-click?

If your document is made of text, it will look more like this when you right-click:

How do you usually create your PDFs from Excel?

When you usually do this, which tool do you use, and does it go into Word as an image or as a table?

If you selected the text in Excel and copied it, then pasted directly to Word, it would come in as an editable table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create pdfs in Word or Excel I just save as a pdf.  The Excel document I saved as a pdf was a chart.  All I am trying to do is copy the pdf page and paste it in a Word document.  It used to be that any pdf I could click the pdf page, it would turn blue, then I would right click to copy the pdf page.  I was able to do this a week ago.  Now something has happened that I cannot do this any longer.  I am not trying to do anything complicated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was finally able to reach a tech that explained to me:

"Because it's a scanned document, it will recognize it as an image. If you try to highlight text, it will select the complete image. It can't be changed using Acrobat Reader.
But if using Acrobat Pro DC, you need to click "scan & ocr"; then "recognize text". Takes about a minute to recognize the text/document.
(Because it's a scanned document, if you want to highlight text, you would need to recognize the text first).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for this! helped a great deal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines