• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Out of Memory error after upgrading to Reader X

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2011 Jan 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have several PDF documents that work fine on Reader 9.  But after upgrading to Reader X, the files will not open.  Instead, they report an Out Of Memory error and a blank document opens instead.  Removing Reader X and re-installing Reader 9 corrects the issue. This has been reproduced on 3 different PCs running both Windows XP and Windows 7.

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader X issue:

Same issue. Some pdf documents will not open after upgrading to Reader X. "out of memory" error given. The error has no correlation to the size of the PDF or OS. This happens on XP64, XP, Win7 x64.  It does correlate to where I get the pdf from. IF my copy machine scans documents into a pdf then there is an issue.

The workstations work fine with 9.x versions of reader when downgraded from X

Reboot does nothing

Reinstall does nothing

pdf from copy machine work in all versions of reader 7 8 and 9 not X

Size of pdf does not matter.

Will Adobe be issuing a fix?

Is there a simple solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could you please share any sample PDF with which you are seeing the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2011 Feb 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is. Attached as example.pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2011 Feb 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2011 Feb 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manish,

I sent the file. Any progress?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2011 Feb 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

Thanks for sharing the test file. Bug is logged for this problem and hopefully fix would be provided in future update of Reader X.

Thanks

Manish Pali | Lead Quality Engineer | +91-120-2444711 Extn: 34337 | Adobe Systems India

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manish

Is there any news regarding this issue?

We started seing the problem a couple of days ago, have been using Reader 10/X for a month.

I updated Reader 10 to the latest version yesterday and it didn't change the result, still getting the Out of Memory error.

Lasse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it was a late finding, it missed the timeline for Reader 10.0.1 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately thats not a great answer,

due to the wide spread nature of the issue, we are needing a little more clarification to when Adobe will fix the bug.

is that in the next day, week month?

because a lot of people see this as a huge error, enough to downgrade to adobe reader 9 to get away from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2014 May 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this will help, but I find that the files I have this same problem with were created and saved in Photoshop CC as a pdf, with no layers, and not preserving photoshop capabilities.  This has been a problem for several months.  I have had to save files a scaled down in quality jpeg to send off to printers because the pdf's wont open.  Any help soon would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to a lot of people. This keeps us from using acrobat. Surely, there is a fix from the R&D team so that the program is functional?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2011 Feb 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I released this to a test group and

those people are complaining about certain documents getting out of memory. Some were also complaining about access

denied error on network documents but found a temporary solution for that on another blog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2011 Feb 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using an HP Laserjet 4ML postscript printer and Windows 7. Since upgrading to Adobe X, PDF statements from Chase credit cards give this error, while some from other banks don't.  The only sure way to print pdf is using a print image.  Downgrading again to 9.4.1 solves the problem, obviating the need to select "print as image". ( Reducing the size of the selected amount of text does not help, nor does following any other of the error message suggestions.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2011 Mar 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any solution for this issue?

The out of memory error happens when opening a pdf file of 2mb or larger.
When opening the same file in version 9.3.0 the document opens without any errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know there isn't a solution yet.

The size of the file doesn't seem to be the problem in our case. I have seen the problem with 230KB and a 2MB file. I am thinking that it might be caused by the program that made the PDF file, for example a PDF printer, Word or something different???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could also be the cause.

The document that doesn't open is made by EFI Cyclone, pdf version 1.3

I've opened that same document in Adobe reader 9.3.0, used a pdf printer to convert it and now it opens.
Now the document is made by GNU Ghostscript 7.06, pdf version is still 1.3

The document has grown from 2,5mb to 6,9mb.
So indeed, it looks like it is not the size that causes the Out of memory error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have received 3 PDF files from our users, where they have the problem. I can see that they are all made with EFI Cyclone, two with version 1.3 and one with version 1.6.

I have had other users with the same problem, but haven't checked which program that made the file.

It's starting to look like a problem between Reader X and EFI Cyclone. Anybody seen the problem with other PDF creators than EFI Cyclone?

I have no experience with EFI Cyclone, but is it just another PDF printer?

We use Win2PDF or the built-in PDF function in Office 2007 and those files we can open without any problems.

To be continued!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done some further testing 🙂

A scan from our MFP

A PDF from a business partner

A PDF created in Word 2007

A PDF created with Win2PDF

Reader X can open all the above files, and when I check which program that made the files, none of them was made by EFI Cyclone.

Now it's weekend, but monday I will look for a demo of EFI Cyclone to see if it works in Reader X.

Have a nice weekend 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2011 Mar 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

at my end, i have files made distiller 4.05 and 5.05 on Mac.

any that have the following fail:

Application: FrameMaker 5.5 PowerPC: PCPrinter 8.3.1

PDF Producer: Acrobat Distiller 4.05 for Macintosh

PDF Version 1.3

so all the files made with distiller 4.05 for Mac are failing it seems.

where as the files created as following and fine.

Application: FrameMaker 5.5 PowerPC: PCPrinter 8.3.1

PDF Producer: Acrobat Distiller 5.05 for Macintosh

PDF Version 1.3

any docs that are made with distiller 4.05 for mac it seems are failing with the out of memory error.

having said that, i am not sure and havnt found any distiller 4.05 for PC etc. (if that even exists)

is there anyway to upload a couple of PDF's here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2011 Mar 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that it's possible to upload files to the forum.

I have just tried with a file created in Adobe InDesign CS5 and it works. The file info is Adobe PDF Library 9.9, PDF version 1.4.

I am looking forward to the solution. Could an Adobe employee confirm that the problem is getting solved and will be included in the next Adobe Reader update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that files of any size as produced by the Fiery EFI Cyclone PDF Wrapper (version 1.3) fail to open in Acrobat Reader X. The symptom is that Reader displays a dialogue box with the message "Out of memory." After the "OK" button is clicked, a single blank page appears. The blank page cannot be printed or annotated. This affects both versions of Reader X (10.0.0 and 10.0.1) on any Windows OS that can cun Reader X (XP SP3, Vista, 7).

The workaround I use for employees at the company I support is either to downgrade to Reader 9 or use an alternative free PDF viewer. For individuals who wish to keep Reader X, I simply open the file using Reader 9 and print to PDF using PDFMaker. The resulting re-encoded PDF file is viewable in Reader X. This process should also work with any other PDF encoder.

I am curious to see if Adobe is aware of this issue and if they plan to implement a solution. The EFI Cyclone wrapper is somewhat common in Canon and Ricoh business multifunction units produced in the late '00s. Therefore, the issue affects many business users at my company and others. A solution integrated in the next upgrade (10.0.2) would be optimal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it will not be fixed in 10.0.2 according to the following document:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83708/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_ReleaseNote_10.0.2.pdf

The document says that there are no bugfixed and that 10.0.2 only is a security fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i agree, from the article, the 10.0.2 update doesn't not look like it will fix the issues.

i am trying to get a copy of the release to test in case the security fix somehow miraculously fixes the issue as well... (hoping and praying it will)

otherwise we will have to revert back to reader 9 until adobe brings out an actual release version with the fixes instead of what feels like beta's.

maybe adobe cannot find the fix, or they are plain ignoring the forums like this one.

i am chasing another issue, which i have seen no resolve for.

adobe please respond to this forum discussion...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 11, 2011 Apr 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After submitting a bug report to Adobe, I have received an initial response from one of their senior software developers. She asked for example files (which I provided) and confirmed that she had forwarded those files to the appropriate group. While this may not mean an immediate fix, Adobe is seemingly aware of the issue. Hopefully they will find a solution in the near future, saving us all a lot of headache. I will continue to update this thread as new information comes in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines