• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF icons changed to Chrome icons on Winows OS

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my PDF files have had their icons changed to Chrome icons.  The files no longer open with Acrobat Reader....they now open through the Chrome browser.  I'm not sure what caused this.  The only thing I can think of is that my girlfriend was on my computer renaming a PDF when I noticed a popup that asked something about file extension or destination.  I tried to tell her not to hit the "yes" button, but I was too late.  I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problem.  Can anyone help me to get the icons changed back to PDF icons?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

You need to reset your file associations so that your system uses Reader to open pdf files. It's pretty easy to do but varies from one OS to the other. You can google the information on resetting file associations and find instructions or you could let us know what OS you are using and we can let you know how to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to reset your file associations so that your system uses Reader to open pdf files. It's pretty easy to do but varies from one OS to the other. You can google the information on resetting file associations and find instructions or you could let us know what OS you are using and we can let you know how to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  I will google resetting file associations.  It is Windows 10 btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HAVE WINDOWS  PREMIUM 7 DESKTOP.     HOW DO I GET THE UNDERLINE FROM MY APPS ON MY DESKTOP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me when I changed to Chrome for my default browser from IE. All the PDF icons changed to Chrome icons and the files would open in Chrome.

To set Chrome as default, I used "Control Panel>Default Programs>Set Your Default Programs". This was after the Windows 10 Action Center "All Settings>System>Default Apps" method would not set Chrome as default.

To solve the icon issue I did a right click on any PDF file, picked "Open With>Choose Another App>selected Acrobat(or Reader)>checked the "always use this app for pdf". I then had to do a restart and all was good again.

Not sure if this is a Windows, Chrome, or Adobe issue...and if they are asked I bet any one of them will point the finger at one of the other two as the cause!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome issue. And I don't work for any of those companies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ABeldecos thank you, your method is the only one that worked for me (Windows 10, Chrome 56.0.2924.87 64-bit):

Right click any PDF on the desktop > Open with > Choose another app > Select Acrobat > check "Always use this app to open .pdf files"

I can now open PDFs on Windows 10 desktop with Acrobat by double-clicking even though Chrome has still hijacked the file icon on the desktop.

Other suggestions being offered in the community did not work for me:

Failed option 1. type chrome://plugins in the Chrome (v56) address bar. "Go to: Chrome PDF Viewer [checkbox] Always allowed to run

You are supposed to be able to uncheck the box but it is grayed-out in the checked state for me and I could not uncheck it.

Failed option 2. type chrome://settings/content in the Chrome address bar. Check the box at the end "Open PDF files in the default viewer application, the Finished button. After I did this I tried to open a PDF on a webpage and Chrome went crazy, flashing a blank tab open and closed repeatedly.

Failed option 3. Windows 10 Start > Settings > Choose default apps by file type > .pdf > select Adobe instead of Chrome :
Result: the setting did not update for me, Chrome could not be dislodged this way.

I also tried uninstalling Chrome and getting Acrobat back as the default PDF app, which worked. But as soon as I reinstalled Chrome it took over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  It worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried this but the "Always use this app to open .pdf files" option was shadowed out so I could not check it.  

How do I correct this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me (link below). I didn't bother with pinning to start menu though.

Just removed the shortcuts in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs then found the exe's (I had three applications that Chrome took over) and put the new ones in there. Worked no problem. Hope this helps.

Icon Adobe Reader DC on taskbar is wrong - Super User

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows 10, here is what you need to do (tested and verified):

• Right click on the PDF file
  • Open with...
  • Choose another application
  • Select Adobe Acrobat Reader (or any other application you are looking for)
  • Tick the box "Always use this application by default)
  • OK

Then:

• close all your "Explorer" windows.
  • [Ctrl] + [Shift] + [Esc] (Tasks monitor if you prefer)
  • Search for the remaining "Explorer" processus.
  • Restart the processus

DONE ! If you go back to your folder where you had that PDF file with the Chrome icon, it will now display the usual PDF one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!  It worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with pdf files opening in Chrome. I tried changing the setting in Chrome to use the default program but it still continued to open in Chrome (even though Acrobat was the default program). I gave up, uninstalled Chrome  and used Opera. Despite this, the same problem exists except now it tells me Chrome needs updating! If I use File Manager to list th files it shows pdf files with the Chrome icon. By selecting the default program to open & selecting Acrobat all is fine until next reboot.Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit. ANy help greatly appreciated. Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super easiest method, of course. Thanks:

Right click any PDF on the desktop > Open with > Choose another app > Select Acrobat > check "Always use this app to open .pdf files"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines