Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF intermittently saving to Adobe Acrobat instead of Edge

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have a user experiencing an intermittent issue, when they are saving a PDF document this will occasionally open with Edge or Adobe Acrobat.

I have documented the steps below;

>Open PDF document in Outlook e-mail

>Opens in Microsoft Edge [default app]

>Save As button clicked

>Save as type: is set to Adobe Acrobat Document [only alternate option is All files]

>Document saved

Opening the saved document destination, this will either save as one of the two options shown below;Screenshot 2023-06-30 113944 AA.png

Screenshot 2023-06-30 114010 ME.png

Screenshot 2023-06-30 114357.png

The file that opens with Edge, we are able to amend to open by different means through right click > open with > and selecting an alternate program. The file that opens with Adobe Acrobat, doesn't provide alternate options.

-Machine has been booted down and back on.

-Going into Default Apps within the machine, PDF is set to open by Microsoft Edge.

-Adobe and Edge are both on the latest version, updates checked.

-Ran repair installation on Adobe Acrobat.

Any help is appreciated and apologies with the wording, I've tried explaining it as best as possible but it's an odd issue.

Thanks

Andrew

TOPICS
PDF and browsers , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can see from the screen shot that this is an old Windows problem. When the file is saved, it does not have a PDF file type. Usually you can see there is no type. In this case, it has a type "23". Someone on the computer has connected "23" files to Acrobat, while "PDF" files still connect to Edge.

How did this happen? The file sent is called "Induction training 20.6.23". The sender needs to fix this. 

(Tip: if you are saving a PDF when it is created - not from email - and type something like "My name-whatever", the system adds a file type .PDF so the file is called "My name-whatever.PDF". But if you include a file type like "My mistake.txt" Windows assumes you know what you want. The file is the same but the name is now wrong. You get a file containing a PDF but called TXT, which will cause havoc. Similarly if you type "My next mistake.42" Windows assumes you want a 42 file not a PDF. So, the user typed "Induction training 20.6.23". They need to either use something like "Induction training 20-6-23" or if they really like the dots type "Induction training 20.6.23.pdf".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

We've remoted onto the user machine facing the issues, with the files in question we have amended these to be "Training.pdf" however this remains a .23 file.

When the user generates the .23 file, they are deleted and recycling bin emptied and aren't present on the machine though it is a shared machine and is used by other users. The issue is isolated to one user from the troubleshooting performed.

Is there anything further that can be tried?

Thanks

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

A quick follow up, adding .pdf to the end of the file name when saving the document seems to have resolved the issue, however is there a work around to avoid needing to include this into every document?

Thanks

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines