• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Bytes not ready" error

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using Acrobat Reader to view and comment on a couple PDFs which are located in my Google Drive for Desktop. After closing my laptop, walking to a different location (on the same Wi-Fi network), and upon opening it back up again, I was presented with a "Bytes not ready." error pop-up in Acrobat Reader. When clicking "OK," the pop-up always reappears after a length of time ranging from immediately to around five seconds. I know I could probably fix this by force-quitting and reinstalling Reader, but I would just like to know why this might be happening, and how to avoid it in future.

TOPICS
Mac , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Hi, I had the same issue, I found that if I remove any characters such as hyphens, commas, full stops etc then it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mayben73746699 Thank you for letting us know about the solution.

Marking this as correct answer for reference to future users.

-Souvik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This WORKS!. Remove all weird characters and everything is fine.  Good job and thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started having the same issue today.  After reading the entire thread here, the only observation I can conctribute is that I had multiple documents open at once on Adobe Acrobat and since I last used it (yesterday). I left the house to do some work and logged into the network at my destination. I left all of my applications open when I stopped working and returned home, but I did not save all of the documents in Adobe before packing up.  I did not close the applications or shut down my laptop because I expected to return to work at home but then utlimately I did not.  That said, I usually leave applications open for several days at a time. Today, when I returned to my work, the first thing I tried to do was open a new PDF with Adobe. It woudn't open. I tried several times.  It occured to me then that rebooting Adobe Acrobat might solve the problem, but when I tried saving and closing, I ran into the problem everyone here is describing. What ultimately solved the problem was closing Adobe Acrobat down, but I have lost some highlights and possibly some comments and other annotations. 

I've never had a problem moving from one network to another before today.  

Other possible factors and considerations (but again, these have never been issues before today):

1) New laptop (last week I bought a new MacBook Air M1)

2) Most of my open PDFs are saved on the local drive but some might have originated on a flash drive. That said, I had the flash drive connected via an Anker USB-C adapter hub when I tried to save the PDFs. 

3) The Anker hub is new as well, but I have been using it for several days. 

4) The laptop battery did not need a charge when I resumed work, so the laptop did not shut down between yesterday and today. 

If you have any questions, please let me know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Bridget273237493y56,

Thank you for the information.

Please collect the logs of the affected machine as described here - https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html and share the logs with us via document cloud - https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/sharing-pdfs.html.

Thanks,

.Souvik.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all. I just had the same problem today. I let Adobe Support access remotely and I re-created this issue:

Open a multi-page pdf file. Then try to insert a single page pdf file before the first page of the muli-page document. I get the "Bytes Not Ready" error for something I do almost daily.

The work around from Adobe Support was downloading the pdf I wanted to insert onto my desktop. Support told me the problem was the file specification path was broken so Adobe could not find it--hence "no bytes ready" to insert. While my support person checked that my Adobe Pro was up to date (and I recently upgraded to Mac OS Ventura 13.0.1) he could not offer anything other than this explanation and a work around.

After we were done, it occurred to me--I working from Google Drive, synced to my laptop. I opened the Google Drive using the (triangle) link and sure enough, the little cloud icons were telling me the files were not all synced. That was the issue. I could recreate the error when the files were not synced and no problem when the file I want to insert was synced. So for me it was a Google sync issue, not an Adobe issue. Hope this helps some of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same/similar problems performing tasks that I use on a regular basis. I'm trying to create a PDF from multiple PDF files. None of the combining files tools would work, but I finally was able to add most of the PDFs by opening one file and then inserting the other files. That worked until I tried to add the last few files. Then I started receiving the Bytes Not Ready error. It saved initiallty, but now it won't re-save.

I'm also having trouble opening some PDF files. I'm also using Google Drive, but I've had the same issue when I save the files locally. I'm running the most recent version of Acrobat Pro (2022.003.20281). Like others who have commented, I'm on a new Mac w/ M2 chip. The OS is up-to-date with Ventura 13.1. I also have a new docking station in use. Both the new Mac and docking station worked last week, although I did not need to combine PDF files at that time. I did open other PDFs w/o a problem from the Google Drive app on my Mac.

I checked to make sure Google Drive was synced, and it is, so that isn't my problem. I believe that Google is rolling out some so-called improvements. I wonder if those roll-outs are causing at least some of these problems. Judging from the dates of the posts, I suspect that may be the case. I spent the morning trying to figure out why more than half my memory had disappeared. It seems like that may have been related to a new Google roll out. I finally figured it out and was hoping it would solve my Acrobat problem, but no luck.

I have to say I'm getting tired of all of these powerhouses not playing nice together. I've wasted more time trying to figure out problems while tech support points fingers at each other. I don't have time for this. And as someone else said, I don't work for Adobe. Considering the pretty dramatic cost increase Adobe just notified me of, I expect more. I don't know who is at fault, but Adobe, Google, and Mac need to put their heads together and figure it out because I don't work for them, either. Considering how much time I've wasted today troubleshooting, I should be getting a consulting fee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem seems to occur whenever the file you have open is no longer available. Perhaps it was on a network share and you've lost your connection. Perhaps it was a temporary file that has since been deleted. I'm guessing the entire file is not kept in memory, and so the source file must be read from the disk in order to save your changes (even if you're saving to a new location).

I got this error today because I had opened a PDF document on a website, it opened in the Adobe's Acrobat extension for Chrome, I clicked the "Open in desktop app" button, and then left it open for a couple days in the background while I did other things on my Macbook M1. When I went to try and save it today after filling in the form fields, I got the "Bytes not ready" error. I pressed Command+D to see the file location, it was stored in /private/var/folders/xx/xxxxx.... as a .tmp file of some sort (which I just assume is where the Chrome extension's "Open in desktop app" button is intended to "save" it as a temporary copy, and it's just assumed you will save it to a proper location in fairly short order if it was a PDF you actually wanted to hold on to).

Since it wouldn't save, I re-downloaded the PDF to my downloads folder. I tried to open it so I could copy and paste from my form fields into this new copy. Acrobat refused to open the newly downloaded PDF. No error message or anything. Just... did nothing when I tried to open it. I had to resort to screenshotting the form, quitting Acrobat entirely, and then re-entering my form fields on the new copy. Luckily there wasn't much I needed to copy, but I would have been pretty upset if it had been a lot of work.

Seems like the fix for Adobe's developers is to figure out a way to preserve the source PDF's data somewhere in case the source file goes away. Maybe files under a certain size can be entirely loaded into memory (my particular PDF was only 516KiB on disk). Maybe make a copy in a temporary folder that Acrobat has control over so that it doesn't get deleted. At the very least figure out why I wasn't able to open another copy of that PDF so I could copy/paste form fields over to the new copy. Maybe hold a checksum of the PDF file (like a SHA256 hash), and if a user tries to open the PDF again with that identical checksum, automagically use that as the new source PDF. I'm just spitballin' here. It's not my job to fix Adobe's software. With perpetual licenses gone, Adobe should be rolling in cash to pay developers with. That way they can continue to deliver all that amazing innovation and the very best bug-free software that Adobe is known for. *cough*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a lot of replies for this and didn't find a solution but figured it out.

The PDFs / pages I was trying to add to another PDF were visible in my files, of course, but only in the cloud (so... the bytes were not ready...) -- once I clicked the little "download" icon next to the file name, and they downloaded to my computer, they dragged and dropped perfectly into the PDF file like normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

--
*James Gascoyne*
[Moderator deleted private information. Please do not post private information like e-mails and phone numbers]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello mate jsut wondering if you need help in the toilet lol hahahahaahahha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only occurs when I'm using a thumb drive that ejects improperly on my Mac. The Bytes not Saved pop up displays which will not allow me to use any functions or work arounds. I have to force quit, losing unsaved work. As soon as I do that Adobe begins installing an update.  Is the only solution to keep checking for updates?  Why hasn't this been fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem today on Macbook Pro 2020 running Ventura 13.4.1 (c) (22F770820d).

This problem is related to PDFs stored on a remote server. I was working on files from dropbox, and. even though I was working on local versions of the files as sync'd from DB, I got the bytes error trying to insert a PDF from file into another PDF. As soon as I copies the PDFs from the DB directory to a local location (my desktop), the problem was resolved. So I don't think this is related to if PDFs have annotations (although I didn't test this specifically, I think its related to permissions of a file that is sync'd with a remote server like DropBox or maybe others like OneDrive, Box, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More detail, I updated to MacOS 13.5 but the problem persists with DropBox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was continuously having this issue on my Mac, when it dawned on me how to fix it. Very simple. I had been storing my files in iCloud, and usually don't have any issues. This time, however, I decided to open Finder, select the files, highlight them, right click and select 'Download'.  As soon as that happened, I was instantly able to pull them all into a single doc as I needed, and saved it, and access it later to attach it to an email. Now, I make sure my files are actually downloaded BEFORE I create anything, or make comments. It will save automatically back to the cloud as needed, or wherever you want to save it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had this problem today on my MacBook Air using Adobe Acrobat Pro.  I was trying to combine files (add another pdf as a second page to my current pdf).  I finally figured out that the pdfs were not recognizing text, so I guess they were not worthy of combining or something.  I chose "recognize text" and saved each pdf, and then they combined just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The file might be in the cloud. It won't import until you download to the local drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines