• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"I've forgotten my password for my signature" [LOCKED]

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is a common problem we are experiencing with our forms - and we currently are telling staff to uninstall Adobe Reader, re-install it, and re-create their digital ID and signature.

There must be a better way.  Any suggestions?

[This discussion from Sep 10, 2009 is now locked]

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

UPDTAE: Actually, I've discovered you can remove a digital ID (whose password you have forgotten) by deleting your old digital signature file (.pfx file). The loction of the .pfx file should be in the same default location as what you specified during creation of that digital signature (for example: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\10.0\Security\). NOTE: The folder names / paths will be different based on operating system).

Hope this helps! I finally was able to r

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 17, 2009 Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lea,

You don't need to uninstall and reinstall Reader just to create a new digital ID. You don't even need to delete the old one, but if you do want to clean out the inaccessible digital ID do the following:

• Select the Document > Security Settings menu item
  • Select Digital IDs from the list box
  • Highlight the digital ID you want to remove in the list box on the right
  • Click the Remove ID button on the Security Settings dialog toolbar

This only works for digital ID files that were created in Reader. If you are using digital IDs (you use a digital ID to create a signature, think of it as the pen) that came from somewhere else other than Reader do the following:

• Expand the tree view under Digital IDs and then select Digital ID Files
  • Highlight the file name on the list box on the rights
  • Click the Detach File button  on the Security Settings dialog toolbar

I hope this helps,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2009 Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - we will try it out.

L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might have worked in earlier verisons of Reader, but currently you need the password in order to Remove a digital ID. At least you do in Acrobat.

Not sure if there's a workaround for today's cases than a reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDTAE: Actually, I've discovered you can remove a digital ID (whose password you have forgotten) by deleting your old digital signature file (.pfx file). The loction of the .pfx file should be in the same default location as what you specified during creation of that digital signature (for example: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\10.0\Security\). NOTE: The folder names / paths will be different based on operating system).

Hope this helps! I finally was able to remove an old unused ID this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this. I'm using Acrobat Pro 9.0. There is no Security subfolder. Nor does a search for that file extension yield a result. Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answer not helpful!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answer true. May be unwelcome but if you forget the signature password, there is no way to get it back. Make a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2016 Jan 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have forgotten my password only for my signature, I never had to use my password before? Plwease could you help?

Thanking you

Louis Cardini at: xxx@xxx.com

email address removed by moderator — this is a public forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing that can be done about it. You'll need to create a new Digital Signature profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your answer just for Reader? I'm using Acrobat Pro 9. And when I try to create a new Digital ID it asks for a password - so caught in an infinite do loop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create a NEW digital ID you give a NEW password. Twice. Not the same one as an digital ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This seems to be very version specific. When asked for a signature Acrobat Reader DC, i realized I forgot the password.

I opted for "Create New Digital ID".

After creating the new ID, it asked me if I want to save it on the disk.

Then it reported that file already exists and asked if I want to replace it.

Answered YES, and old signature was gone.

Not sure if this helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines