• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"the credential selected for signing is invalid"

New Here ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a Mac user running on OS X El Capitán vers. 10.11.14 who just installed the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC program so that I could sign ACA (Autoridad de Certificación de la Abogacía -Spain-)  documents. When I attempt to sign these documents using my ACA certificated (common access card) via my smart card reader, I get the error message: "the credential selected for signing is invalid". My ACA credentials should not be the issue, as I've used it on work computers without signature problems, so I'm thinking that the issue i'm getting on my Mac is related to my current Adobe settings. Any advice or assistance in regards to signing documents with my ACA card would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, I can get some real assistance instead of a generic copy and paste "trouble shooting" response. Thank you

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

I found it!

This "the credential selected for signing is invalid" message appears when you use a trusted certificate as a trusted root. Probably because Adobe finds something wrong in the trust chain.

Just by *disabling* the checkboxes below the message disappears and digitally signing works:

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 10.57.27 PM.png

Enjoy it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI susanag95901292

Please try the steps given below :

1.Select the Acrobat > Preferences menu item

2.Select Signatures from the Categories list box

3.Click the More button in the Verification group box (second from the top)

4.Deselect the Require certificate revocation checking to succeed whenever possible checkbox

5.Click the OK button on the Signature Verification Preferences dialog

6.Click the OK button on the Preferences dialog

Try to sign and see what happens.

Please let me know how t goes

Regards,

Yatharth .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Different user, same issue. I tried this and I still have the problem. Is there a way to debug exactly what is invalid? According the Keychain, my digital cert from my CAC is valid and not expired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2016 Aug 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also different user, same issue.  The answer is no help.  One of my Macs with adobe 10 pro that i did not allow to update the digital signing certificates, within adobe, still allows me to digitally sign with my CAC.  My other two computers, macbook air with adobe DC pro and a macbook pro with adobe X pro, I allowed the update and cannot digitally sign pdfs.  What changes did the update make to my computer that I can undo to see if that is the problem.  This is effecting my work on a daily basis as I have to get someone else to sign documents for me.  Please HELP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 05, 2016 Aug 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Would you follow "post number 3" suggestions from this thread: Re: Digital Signature on Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

make sure you put E-card software module somewhere you can browse easily.

Regards,

Tariq Dar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2016 Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, but both fix actions above did not work.  Signing worked for a long time, but about a week ago is now giving me the "the credential selected for signing is invalid" error.  I manage IT for my organization and it is starting to happen on their machines too.   I really need a fix action since it is now affecting our business processes. 

I'm using a MacBook running 10.11.6 with the latest version of adobe reader.  I'm using a US Government CAC with Centrify Express for Smart Card agent.

Thanks so much,

Trek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2016 Aug 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the same here...

pdf signet works, but lacks timestamp feature which i need...

so i don't see why the all-mighty DC has problem with our valid credentials...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2016 Aug 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on Adobe - we're having the same problem with Acrobat Pro and PIV cards. Basically this is the only function justifying this product on my systems so while you may think this is a problem with a small feature from my perspective the entire application is broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.certsign.ro/en/support/error-when-signing-pdfs-with-adobe-acrobat-reader-dc/

Same situation nothing worked, but this worked for me. You need to just provide your card/token library full path

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2016 Aug 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue; can't sign anything using my Common Access Card. Tried both this remedy and the one referred to on the other post with no avail. This issue is preventing me from working from my personal computer (MacBook Pro Version 10.11.6 OS X El Capitan)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to the same issue. I still can't sign with my military CAC and its causing a lot of headache. I am required by the military to sign documents with my CAC card and am unable to at this time. Is there any update on this issue? (MacBook Pro Version 10.11.6 OS X El Capitan).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

You may try this workaround suggested by one of the user in post # 16 here : 10.11.6 CAC signing not working with 11.0.17 Acrobat

Thank You,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried, however, I am fairly Tech savvy but not THAT Tech savvy....

1) How do I verify permissions? The only thing I can do is click on Get Info for /Library/CACKey/libcackey.dylib and allow read and white permissions. I have no idea how to verify -rwxr-xr-x (755) owned by root?

2) Nowhere in Adobe Reader DC, open Preferences, then go to Signatures --> Identities & Trusted Certificates --> More... could I find "PKCS#11 Modules and Tokens" or anything after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Open a Terminal (click spotlight and type terminal)

in the terminal type:

ls -lart path_to_your_lib

That will list all the files in that directory and their permissions post that back if you are unsure. I actually don't think that the execute permissions are required (at least not with Centrify)

Look at that other thread mentioned above for the paths it depends on what smart card middleware you are running. My posts have the path for where Centrify is installed (note I don't think the necessary libraries are included with Centrify Express) other posted for libCAC, I've never used that one so I don't personally know the paths. It may take some searching around you may want to watch a basic video on navigating a unix filesystem if you are not familiar with using a terminal and the cd and ls commands.

2) Open Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

In the top menu (Where it says Acrobat Read) click preferences

Select Signatures in the Preferences window

Under Identities & Trusted Certificates click the MORE button.

The PKCS#11... is in this window when you click it you get the option to "Attach Module" on the top.

Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 5.25.57 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude... what? Apparently I am not in my element here. I have no idea what you just wrote, you might as well be speaking Russian to me.

I don't know how to open a terminal nor "spotlight". Furthermore, I don't know what Centrify is either.

Once again, PKCS#11 does not show up in Signatures... AT ALL... ANYWHERE.

Im just a normal guy trying to use my CAC card with Adobe PDF. It used to work, now it doesn't. I think its related to this "update"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are going to have to help yourself a little here since somebody can't walk up to your computer and fix it for you.

Try google...

"mac spotlight"

"mac terminal"

both bring up links that will help you understand what I'm talking about.

Are you able to find the screen I included above? Send us a screen shot of it.

google "mac screenshot"

At some point did you install some software on your mac for your CAC card or did it use to just work with Reader?

For general education on getting the CAC to work check out

MilitaryCAC's Mac OS X support landing page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found it!

This "the credential selected for signing is invalid" message appears when you use a trusted certificate as a trusted root. Probably because Adobe finds something wrong in the trust chain.

Just by *disabling* the checkboxes below the message disappears and digitally signing works:

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 10.57.27 PM.png

Enjoy it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, it worked!!!

Finally found the right answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, none of this tips are working for me. I'm using Smart ID Card from Estonia. 

Could you help please?

I did all: 

-Check option -> Require certificate revocation

-Update both Adobe and Mac IOS

-Restart computer 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines