Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Read Out Loud Doesn't Work

Aug 25, 2013 Aug 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was sent to this forum by the following exchange -

By Robin Turner      - 11:54 AM on August 15, 2013   Reply

I can’t get Read Out Loud to work with Reader XI (11.0.03). I have already turned off protected mode. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Other sound functions (MP3′s// MP4′s websites) work fine. Adobe and the operating system both have the latest patches.

Help!

By joiemikitson      - 4:40 PM on August 15, 2013   Reply

Are you having trouble with all files, or just specific ones? Can you please make sure that the Read Out Loud function is activated? Use this help page for instructions: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/using/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7d24.w.html#WS58a04a82...

By Robin Turner      - 12:52 PM on August 18, 2013   Reply

None of my PDF Files will read out loud. The actions in the instructions do not produce results. Where can I get a copy of Acrobat 9? – ROL works fine with version 9

By joiemikitson      - 5:16 PM on August 19, 2013   Reply

Hi Robin. Sorry for the inconvenience. Have you tried repairing Reader? Choose Help > Repair Adobe Reader Installation. Let us know if that helps.

• By Robin Turner      - 3:38 PM on August 20, 2013  

Help > Repair Adobe Reader Installation did NOT fix the problem

• By joiemikitson      - 5:31 PM on August 20, 2013  

Hi Robin. Have you tried visiting our forums for assistance? We have experts there ready to help out with any issues: http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RobinThe Broker wrote:

• By joiemikitson      - 5:31 PM on August 20, 2013  

Hi Robin. Have you tried visiting our forums for assistance? We have experts there ready to help out with any issues: http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa

I didn't know that Adobe has experts here ready to help out with any issue.

And I am sorry that I can't help you with your problem. Perhaps knowing exactly what happens when you try would be helpful for others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2013 Aug 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing happens no sound nothing. All other apps with sound work correctly. backed down to Reader version 9.5 still no joy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious. Can you select any lines of text in the PDF with the selection tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can select text. I've tried that and hit "read this page" also, no help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing the same issue.

I even updated to XI 11.0.04 today and no change. That is, until I unchecked "Enable Protected Mode at startup" (via Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced)), then closed Reader and launched Reader again.

I think it's sad that to enable an accessibility feature one has to disable a security feature, but that has been the only solution I've found thus far.

If this is the solution, I think Adobe developers need to find another way to successfully enable both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution was to switch the the Nuance PDF product. Forget Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2015 Jun 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[ I've been experiencing the same issue.

I even updated to XI 11.0.04 today and no change. That is, until I unchecked "Enable Protected Mode at startup" (via Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced)), then closed Reader and launched Reader again.

I think it's sad that to enable an accessibility feature one has to disable a security feature, but that has been the only solution I've found thus far.

If this is the solution, I think Adobe developers need to find another way to successfully enable both.] Quote

Thank you TUth7 for sharing this! I was ready to pull my hair out over trying to get my Adobe Reader to read aloud a long document while I do other things... I followed your instructions to "uncheck Enable Protected Mode at startup" and my reader is reading the document as I type. I haven't used the read aloud feature since upgrading to Windows 8.1. and didn't realize there were steps to get it to read aloud. I have been to many sites and blogs today, including Microsoft AND Adobe, but not one of them referenced this, at least that came up in my search.

Thank you again!! I really appreciate the help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just resolved this problem on my computer running Windows 7 64 bit.  \

Try the following:

Open Adobe Reader XI

Choose Edit > Preferences

A dialogue box will open with a "Categories" Column on the Left, and another broader section on the right with items to check

FROM THE LEFT COLUMN  choose "Security (Enhanced)"

Now look to the right of the categories column; you will see a check box with "Enable Protected Mode at Startup" checked

Uncheck that box.

When Adobe asks you if you're sure, choose "yes"

Close Adobe and then restart the program.

Open a pdf document THAT IS NOT A SCANNED DOCUMENT

Choose View > Read Out Loud > Activate Read Outloud

Then click on a section of the doucment you want read.  It will be bounded by a box and start reading.

You may also choose to read the entire document or a single page.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me. My solution was to switch the the Nuance PDF product. Forget Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RobinThe Broker wrote:

Where can I get a copy of Acrobat 9?

You want Acrobat 9, or Reader 9?

Acrobat 9: http://prodesigntools.com/all-adobe-cs5-direct-download-links.html

Reader 9: http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a possibly related issue with read out loud.

Read out Loud worked before I added a button to the form to allow a user to print the page (customer requested, 508-compliance related).

After I added the button with the print functionality, read out loud does not work anymore. I also have both a Save and Reset button, but neither cause the issue, only the print function.

Anyone experienced similar issues and have a fix?

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not getting read out loud option 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines