• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader 9.2 - AdobeARM - Purpose?

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2009 Nov 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For security reasons, I am updating Adobe Reader within our corporate environment from 9.1.3 to 9.2.  I noticed that a new executable is launched at startup called AdobeARM.EXE.  What is the purpose of this?  Is it safe to disable?

We restrict user rights - so if this is some sort of updater service, we cannot have it checking Adobe for updated versions, as the users will not be able to install.  We test all updates internally before deploying them to our users.

TOPICS
Download and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

huskyfur wrote:

STOP SPAMMING ME.!!

I DIDN'T post this

Nobody is spamming you - you posted in this topic, and because your Preferences are set to notify you, you get notified.  You have to change your Preferences and unsubscribe from this and all other subscribed topics, or post at http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments if you are unwilling to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have blocked the emails from adobe anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is a bit long in the tooth now we are up to 9.3.4 really, but here's my tuppence worth.

Anywayz, after installing 9.3.3 then being nagged to update to 9.3.4. I did so.

Then, thanks to my Guardian Angel, WinPatrol on lookout, I was requested to let reader start with the system FIFTEEN TIMES IN ONE HOUR!! That was with only two start-ups of reader! So I initially did what a man's gotta do.

I un-installed Reader.

Then I thought "This ain't gonna beat me", so I did some trawling round T'Interweb.

I eventually came across this thread. Some numbers may have changed from the original Tut, but by following the Tut, I now have, and this is the first time I've ever attemped anything like this, (although I have been known to make my own msstyles/themes) a very light Reader, no nags, no let me auto-start, no ARM and no harm.

Not quite sure if I'm more impressed at the speed reader now opens or in my ability to have made it like this!!

BTW Running Windows 7 64 bitHome Prem.

Regards

Elmer (not very, now) BeFuddled

Message was edited by: Elmer B. Fuddled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2011 Apr 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is still wondering what it is, look here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_Updater.pdf

It's used for the Updater.

ARM stands for Adobe Reader & Acrobat Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2011 Apr 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ARM is the new updater that came to replace AUM. There are only several keys in registry to control it and this keys can be found in AIM: Administrator's Information Manager. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709.html here you can find it.

I've made group policy templates in admx format based on AIM and they include managing ARM. They can be found here https://sourceforge.net/projects/customadmx/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2011 May 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it does stand for Adobe Reader Manager and I don't understand how and Acrobat Manager gets added in when ARM exists even if only reader and no Acrobat is installed, plus it would and should be ARAM if it truly stood for Adobe Reader & Acrobat Manager and I am well aware the question has already

been answered and yes it can be removed without causing trouble. The user that posted group policys to make changes and propagate sytem wide in an Active Directory enviornment has a head on his shoulders. Those that went about it via the registry need to rethink strategy.

In workgroup enviornments or in the absence of Active Directory in some enviornments, there is a far more efficient way to do it then the registry.

I think it bizaar and over the top to always jump to the conclusion you need to go under HKEY_LOCAL to add or remove things from startup. It is easy to botch things in the registry, far more time consuming to add and remove entries and simply not neccesary. Reality is even after removing the registry entries or changing a DWORD value, ARM still resides on the machine, but just doesn't start up when Windows starts. However, by approaching it this way if you decide you need it later it is just more of hassle to add and remove from registry and is just plain uneccessary even if it makes you feel geeky cool that you did it by the registry. In many corporate enviornments, i.e. large ones like Boeing, where I have worked a registry change especially propagating it company wide can create headaches and even on a single computer this other method is far more efficient.

Simply go to "RUN" and type "msconfig" then go to startup tab and deselect AdobeARM and apply, it accomplishes the exact same thing without delving into the registry uneccesarily and is VERY SIMPLE. Furthermore, you can propagate the change to other machines more easily and if you change your mind its as easy as going back and rechecking the box. Furthermore, in the absence of a group policy you could simply make the change on the master image using msconfig and next time you image, it would propagate, even in a non AD enviorment.

Why most parties in this thread think going to the registry under HKEY_LOCAL>blah blah blah>Run and deleting or adding values is the best way to go to accomplish this I will never know.

Take care,

Someone with a B.Sc. in Computer Network and Communications Management, A+, CCNP and X....system admin, lead tech and help desk manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>I think it bizaar and over the top to always jump to the conclusion you need to go under HKEY_LOCAL to add or remove things from startup.

Yes!!! Me too!!!

I think Adobe should not "go undel HKEY_LOCAL and add things to startup":

If they do not want os removing it... they can simply not add it in the first place!

I HATE automatic update programs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mjkocker,

Why create two update mechanisms and programs, one for reader and one for acrobat? Why not just create one! Maybe Microsoft should create Word updater, telnet updater, notepad updater, etc....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2011 Nov 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated Adobe Reader and my machine told me it wanted to run ARM at startup, was that alright with me?

That's what brought me here.

So I read this and told the updater I didn't want ARM. It finished the update without the ARM thing. Wouldn't that be the simple way to go?

I also installed it without the infuriating and redundant McAfee scanner - another option provided for me.

Lastly I find it bizarre that man so educated and obviously intelligent should spell it the way he does.

That's the kind of nasty, snide, nitpicking, carping little nuisance I am....

I just have this thing about spelling......

p.s.  the thing I found most interesting was the bit about foxit.  I'm downloading it, will give it a try. Lovely if I can get rid of Adobe entirely....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines