• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader 9 won't open PDF from web browser

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2008 Jul 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Reader 9, and now when I click on a link to a PDF on a web page I get this message: "The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a web browser. Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 8 or 9 is required. Please exit and try again." Since I AM running version 9, this seems peculiar. Any ideas?

Mary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 245 Replies 245
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2010 Oct 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey thanks so much! i 'm on a mac so i opened the preferences and

unchecked that box, it works! love the simple fixes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup!

99% of the time this works, though this is not a fix, it relieves stress!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not call tech support on this matter because they will tell you that you have to buy a contract before they will help you.  i just went throug that when i called just a few minutes ago on an update that is always failing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have removed 9 and downloaded 8 and I have not had further problems

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2010 Oct 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution

This post assumes we have Acrobat 8... installed. Don't disable Browser opening PDF in Acrobat's preferences as someone suggested or any of the other tricks.

From the beginning, Acrobat and Reader are installed:

1.  UNINSTALL Reader only.

2.  Download and Install Foxit Reader.

3.  Open Foxit, menu Tools > Preferences > Internet > Web Browser Options.  make sure "Display PDF in Browser" is checked (unchecked by default).

I can now launch a pdf that normally opens a browser and I'm back in business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2010 Nov 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Adobe Reader 9, Go to Help, Repair Adoba Reader Installation.

This worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2010 Nov 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or install Adobe X!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2011 Jan 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried for months to resolve this problem. Was finally able to resolve by installing Acrobat X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2011 Apr 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didnt work for me,i'm back to 8v.............see my post today

Johnny.L.G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2011 Apr 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prf files on windows internet 9.. .... Yo will have to remove intenet 9 until the conflict is resolved.  Removing, will just revert to your previous windows

petera59@hotmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2011 Apr 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 7 and internet explore this is what worked for me on a government computer that I could not change that much on due to "lack of access"

I went to Edit > Preferences > Internet and turned off "Display PDF in browser" and unchecked the other boxes.

It now simply open as a PDF file which is fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you find Edit Preferences?

And you say you unticked open in broser,is that correct?

See my post today

Cheers Johnny.L.G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes folks its a a real hassle

I'm also back to 8v now also.

Deleted all other Adobe programs,shut down firewalls,followed all the suggestions etc etc etc

Still get the same pop up box "Can't use Adobe reader to view a PDF from your browser"

Anyone found a different fix,it seems that going back to 8v fixed most...... but not mine.

Running Windows 7 and Explorer 9

Been without now for weeks.....

HELP!

JLG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2011 May 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now up to Adobe 9.4.  Have been having this same problem for months.

Running on Firefox...

Changing the default under options seemed to have worked for me.

Adobe.JPG

Need to change the default to Adobe Reader 9.4.

Hope this helps anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Adobe Reader 9 on my MAC OS X 10.4.11 because I got a screen prompt saying a .pdf opening in the browser was different? or newer? or something and it might not display well. Had trouble getting the darn install to work, but then it was successfully installed. Aha. Not a single .pdf would  open in the browser, even the ones I had just been looking at using Adobe Reader 8.  Read a little of this thread and saw it is apparently a very common problem, amazingly enough. (Why urge users to download newer version that doesn't work, won't display .pdfs in a browser??)

Fortunately, I hadn't emptied the trash of the old Adobe Reader 8 yet.

And, as others have noted, there is no uninstall app for AR 9, even though instructions say there is supposed to be. Went online to adobe and did search for uninstall for AR 9, hoping there would be one i could download. Nope.  So I set about uninstalling on my own, just trashing the AR 9 folder and app, but not all of it will empty in trash. I did hard drive search of all things with "adobe" and trashed them. But I still got messages saying a localized.rcsc (something like that) and an Adobe Air something can't be trashed because they're in use. At this point, the pdfs still won't display.

So used the MAC "secure trash" which forces the trash to empty even when something is in use.  Put Adobe Reader 8 back in the apps folder and voila, I have a working browser that will show pdfs again! Only took about 3 hours!

I hope this is helpful to someone else who has discovered the nightmare of Adobe Reader 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 03, 2011 Aug 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was having the same problem but when i update to the latest X version, it all worked.

You guys can try to see if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2011 Aug 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Nicole,

I couldn't fix the problem in Explorer 9 so i installed Google Chrome........now if i want to just browse i find Explorer the best but when i get to a site that requires Adobe i need to cut and past the page into Chrome.

At least i have a solution.

Cheers John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see many people are having this problem. It is now one month later. Adobe, are you listening and have you solved this problem? Any one know what Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 has done to solve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2011 Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys,

Version 9 has been old for quite sometime. Install X be done!

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2011 Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did. Thanks.

Somebody ought to shut the whole thread down and post the Reader 10 message to that effect, Tony. Some of us have not used Adobe Acrobat Reader for some time. Why not the suggestion, since we get so many messages regarding automatic, or almost, updates . . . why not automatically update everyone with Reader X. That would have saved at least half the 247,000 people that viewed the discussion boards about this issue. Come on Adobe. It's really amazing to me that this problem has been on the discussion boards since 2008. That's a long time to tick your customer base off. And another curiosity, I wonder why I have not noticed the problem until recently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2011 Oct 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings.  I right-clicked Reader 9 and went to Restore Previous Versions.  That worked for me.  At the same time, I can imagine there a many solutions that would work depending on your exact set-up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines