• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader DC opening slow after latest update

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am having an issue with Reader opening extremely slow on one of my profiles. Other profiles on the same machine open it perfectly fine. I have tried running the repair, reinstalling, and deleting the files in the appdata folders for that profile (although i'm not sure if it was the correct ones). It wasn't an issue until it updated to version 2019.010.20091. This is on Windows 10. Any other ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Hello Steved,

In addition to what Anand mentioned can you please share a few more details for us to help you better.

• Are you signed in Reader or not?
  • Go to Edit-> Preferences -> Security (Enhanced) and check if "Run in AppContainer" is enabled or disabled?

Regards,

Rupa

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are seeing the same issue on our network. Two users affected so far, both on Windows 10 and both on the latest version of Adobe Reader (19.010.20091). It doesn't matter if you open Adobe Reader directly or double click on a pdf document, it takes as much as 30 minutes for the adobe window to open. If you look in task manager you can see the adobe process is running in the background and if multiple attempts are made to open Adobe you will see multiple running processes. However even though the processes are running in the background no Adobe window/document is shown. Killing the process and trying again does not help, restarting the system does not help and reinstalling Adobe Reader does not help.

Is this a bug in the new version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems we're having the exact same issue, the process launches, but doesnt actually pull any resources for a long time whether opening a pdf or just the program on its own. I'm going to try some of the steps mentioned by anandsri and see how they go. Will report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Steved,

We're sorry for the trouble you had with Adobe Reader, please reboot the machine once and then navigate to Adobe Reader's Preferences from Edit>Preferences>General> and uncheck 'Show online storage when opening files'>Click OK, restart the application and check.

Are you experiencing this issue with one specific PDF file or with all the PDF files? As you mentioned that it is working with other profiles, is it possible to repair the user profile at your end and check?

For testing purpose, please disable 'Protected Mode at startup' and 'Enhanced Security' from Edit>Preferences>Security(Enhanced). Click OK and restart the application and check.

Note: Disabling the protected mode and enhanced security is only for testing purpose, please enable it back.

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, tested both AnadSri and Rupa's suggestions. It looks like the issue is with the "run in AppContainer" option. Current options are:

"Enable Protected mode at startup" checked

"Run in AppContainer" Unchecked

"Enable Enhanced Security" checked

When i tested just unchecking the "Enable protected mode at startup" Reader opened up right away, but it automatically disables the "Run in AppContainer" option. I went ahead and checked the other profiles on the computer and the same settings are applied, so looks like somewhere along the line the "run in AppContainer" got checked and is whats causing the issue. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steved,

Thanks for your testing and findings. Just to narrow down the root cause can you please check one more thing.

Enable Protected mode at startup checked

Run in AppContainer unchecked

What is the behaviour in this case?

Thanks,

Rupa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Unchecking the "Run in AppContainer" option is also fixing the problem for us. So far we have seen this on three separate computers with the common theme being that they are all Windows 10 computers, so far we have not seen this on any computer the does not run Windows 10. Unchecking the "Run in AppContainer" option have fixed it on all three machines affected so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi aaronl67489317,

Apologies for the problem you are facing. ​To analyze as to why appcontainer is causing slowness on your machines we would be needing to analyze the dump when the freeze/slowness occurs. So first enable run in Appcontainer mode and take the dump when reader freezes. To take the dump follow these steps:

• When Reader freezes take dump of the process. Go to task manager; right click on AcroRd32.exe and click on create dump file. You can share the file via dropbox|googe drive or any shared location. Make sure you take the dump when Reader freezes.

Thanks & Regards,

Rupa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unchecking "run in AppContainer" fixed the problem for me.  Thanks Steved and Rupa for troubleshooting this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Steved,

In addition to what Anand mentioned can you please share a few more details for us to help you better.

• Are you signed in Reader or not?
  • Go to Edit-> Preferences -> Security (Enhanced) and check if "Run in AppContainer" is enabled or disabled?

Regards,

Rupa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same issue here with just a few employees complaining of the issue. Even after updating to the latest version released just today, the problem still occurs. Unfortunately, trying the solution(s) above didn't make any difference for us. What did make a small difference, however, was clearing out the "recent items". The issue still occurs every time though upon opening a PDF file and makes the program go "not responding" for 10-30 seconds. Afterwards, the application works as normal.

Per rupa jannela​'s suggestion, I have taken a file dump of an instance of when this issue occurred for us and it is located at the link below.

Shared - Google Drive

Please let me know how we can get this fixed.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

Repairing Acrobat Reader did not fix the issue, but a complete uninstall via the Acrobat uninstall tool and then a re-install of the newest version fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi the option Edit-> Preferences -> Security (Enhanced) and check if "Run in AppContainer" does not appear on my Acrobat DC look

error.jpg

not sure what to do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jorgev56224007 check that you are running the latest (20.013.20074) version.

Oh... and I had the same "super slow start" issue (it would start fast in a browser, but just not the app). Turning off the Run in AppContainer clearly fixed the issue for me and it's now back to running fine. I haven't changed any other setting (protected mode is still enabled, as well as enhanced security).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check add remove programs if you have 'Adobe Acrobat DC (64-bit)' uninstall it then download the offline installer from:

https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/enterprise/

You can get the right version for your server, mine was windows 2016.

In Add Remove Programs it now was listed as 'Adobe Acrobat Reader DC' 

Reader DC opened no problems then even if you have enhanced security at startup enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution! I installed the Foxit PDF reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know if this has to do with how the PDF is generated or some kind of certificate that causes this. Disabling the Protected mode at startup and Enhanced Security helped for one user but not others. I wouldnt want to leave these settings disabled either.

I found opening PDF's in Edge opened immediately but for some reason Adobe takes 15-20 seconds.

I wish someone at Adobe could figure this out as we too pay for Adobe Acrobat to edit PDF's. It seems silly to complain about waiting 20 seconds for a 110 kb pdf to open, but it affects the end user who ends up clicking the pdf 5 times to open then it hangs up and eventually crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines