• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader download fails- Newer version already installed - How to fix?

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello --

I am unable to install adobe reader dc -- fails to complete installation because "newer version already installed' -- I do not have any adobe reader version installed -- I have tried all solutions I have found in forum so far -- including 1) download and run adobe cleaner tool --still will not complete installation -- my Lenovo support team has tried many solutions -- none successful --  my last attempt resulted in ERROR 1722 - there is a problem with this windows installer package --Contact your support personnel or package vendor -- I was using installer package from Adobe Reader -- Can anyone provide a solution to this problem??

Thanks for any assistance -- Steven21

Downloading, Installing, Setting Up​Acrobat Reader​ !

TOPICS
Download and install , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Hi Steven,

As mentioned above, that you have tried all the solutions you found on forums so far. I assume you have already run the cleaner tool to uninstall the old traces of the application's.

If not, then you may run the cleaner tool- Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

And try installing the Reader through - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Install for all versions

If still doesn't work then try in different user account. How to create a hidden admin, you may check- Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7, 8, or 10

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steven,

As mentioned above, that you have tried all the solutions you found on forums so far. I assume you have already run the cleaner tool to uninstall the old traces of the application's.

If not, then you may run the cleaner tool- Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

And try installing the Reader through - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Install for all versions

If still doesn't work then try in different user account. How to create a hidden admin, you may check- Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7, 8, or 10

Let us know the update.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steven,

I am facing the same issue. I have genuine windows 7 professional service pack1 -- I tried clean up tools mentioned above--tried logging in with  admin user---tried deleting my trash--tried cleaning up registry--ran malwarebyte--ran CC clean up---ran sys debug query in cmd---but still not able to download acrobat reader DC.

BUT

If I install adobe reader 11 it would install with no problem. And I am able to open documents with it but not able to use some necessary commands.

I tried downloading Adobe reader DC directly from site and shows me the same problem and then I tried installing adobe reader 11 and tried to update via notification which say adobe reader DC is available and would get the same error. I am pretty sure that hardware requirement on my PC are the greatest one. Please let me know how to fix this issue. I am interested in getting the issue fixed but I am more interest in knowing why is it doing this, as I work in IT field and curious to know the root cause of it so I can explain my users why this is happening.

Adobe update error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arjun,

Your issue seems different.

Please make sure that "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC" folder is absent before you try to install Reader DC.

Also, it could be useful to have verbose MSI log file to investigate this issue (please google for instructions how to enable MSI verbose logging)

If you get the log, do not post it here, it could be quite large. Instead send it to me privately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  I cannot install because I "have a newer version".  This message occurs when the installation gets to 55%.  I have cleaned, deleted the setup file mentioned above, and emptied the trash.   I needed to reinstall Adobe after I reinstalled Windows 10.   What else I can I do? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ddwilson,

Did you use the cleaner tool to remove the application? Or just uninstalled it from control panel?

Also, as suggested above did you create the new user account or not?

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled AND used the cleaner tool.  I also tried to install as the hidden admin.  Same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that it still didn't work. You may please follow few more steps here-

Check again.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did not work.  I got this error message:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@moisesb14464588

The accepted "standard" answer from Adobe Staff on this thread did not help any.  Your post did.  Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too. I got several of those Error 1328 error boxes. Click "Ignore" on each one and it all works.

Official Adobe advice is rubbish and quite bizarre.  This YouTube post did the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YESS !!! Its worked for me too..THANKS 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me too, thank you whoever made the video 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much. After spend 1 day to install this program i can fix it by your help ^^ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too was facing the same problem and I tried all the steps that were suggested above, but it did not work. But finally the video link above showed how easy it was. Thanks a lot for sharing the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, good day to all! Thank you to the YouTube video you shared here. 🙂 I can't help but to let you all know that this the SOLUTION we're looking for. 😄 I've been troubeshooting  (adobe installation- "new version already installed") this since last week and followed all the troubleshooting steps from top to bottom and none of them worked. I'm glad I read thoroughly this section and found your replies about the video. Very easy to follow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Yogesh & Adobe Team,

Let me initiate this post with a thanking note to Yogesh. Your solution perfectly worked for me, thus thanks for posting the resolution.

Now the below text is for Root Cause Analysis - Out of curiocity, I went ahead and tried following,

Step 1 - Go to Program Data Folder - Click on AcroRead.msi file (Windows Installer Package) - It will successfully install Acrobat Reader DC.

Step 2 - This is for the Adobe Team / Developers - After successfully installing above, Go ahead and Run AcroRdrDCUpd2001220048.nsi Windows Installer Patch.

Now while installing this Patch - It will face that problem Error 1722 - And the it will Roll back the installation.

Hope this further inputs will help Adobe Team to further Debug this Installer Patch - and Resolve the and fix the bug.

- Someshwar

Adobe_Install_Newer_Version_Problem.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the solutions mentioned at Adobe site did not work, but the solution mentioned in this Youtube vide has worked for me. Thanks for posting... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woe is me.  Am I the only person who cannot understand what this lady is saying and whose display does not show the video clearly?  Has anyone written up this solution?  Thanks if so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2019 Jun 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I had the same problems. Tried to fix a number of solutions suggested here, but none was working until I went to the C:/Program Files/ then with the "Adobe" folder, I manually deleted it and emptied the trash bin. Afterward, I reinstall the adobe reader. Then, voila! It works! Hope this will help fix your issues.

Regards,

TST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour

Exactement le même problème pour moi, les mêmes messages et rien n'a été résolu en suivant les pistes proposées ici.. Pour finir, j'ai installé PDF Architect 7..qui s'installe ainsi : C:\Program Files\PDF Architect 7\architect.exe.

Beaucoup trop complet pour mes besoins, un simple lecteur de pdf me suffit...

Avant de mettre à la corbeille le fichier de Adobe Reader, j'ai fait une nouvelle tentative, et là...

Bingo !!!, ça a marché !!!

Installation : C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe.

Je précise que je suis sous Windows 7.

Bonne chance à vous également.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Il n'est jamais vain de réessayer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this works 🙂

I got several error boxes each with Abort, Retry and Ignore buttons. Just hit Ignore each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines