• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader download fails- Newer version already installed - How to fix?

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello --

I am unable to install adobe reader dc -- fails to complete installation because "newer version already installed' -- I do not have any adobe reader version installed -- I have tried all solutions I have found in forum so far -- including 1) download and run adobe cleaner tool --still will not complete installation -- my Lenovo support team has tried many solutions -- none successful --  my last attempt resulted in ERROR 1722 - there is a problem with this windows installer package --Contact your support personnel or package vendor -- I was using installer package from Adobe Reader -- Can anyone provide a solution to this problem??

Thanks for any assistance -- Steven21

Downloading, Installing, Setting Up​Acrobat Reader​ !

TOPICS
Download and install , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Hi Steven,

As mentioned above, that you have tried all the solutions you found on forums so far. I assume you have already run the cleaner tool to uninstall the old traces of the application's.

If not, then you may run the cleaner tool- Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

And try installing the Reader through - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Install for all versions

If still doesn't work then try in different user account. How to create a hidden admin, you may check- Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7, 8, or 10

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem.

I enabled - view hidden files and folders (left click a folder - menu / organise/ properties / show hidden files and folders)

I went to C:\ProgramData and deleted the folder adobe

then tried to reinstall - same problem

went to C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Setup\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AC0F074E4100}

and double clicked Acroread.msi

Problem solved - the program installed without problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dimitris,

I've looked for this solution for a long time.

J. G. Lachaussee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My Man.... Dimitris. Thank you so much!!!!! This worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I am Kanika, And I am facing the same issue. I want to install other version but it shows newer version already installed. Whenver I open any pdf file it opens in Google chrome. Please help as soon as possible. Looking forward for your reply. 

Regards, 

Kanika Aggarwal 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem, started with the updates failing with "Uninstalation of the package is not supported" then after trying to uninstall manually everything got into a mess. Tried the Adobe Reader Cleaner however I noted that a lot of Adobe stuff was left in the registry. I tried the univeral reader DC install and the enterprise download. The univeral one failed with the  "Newer version already installed" the eenterprise install package failing with "unistallation not supported" EVENTUALLY found it may be windows problem and found their "fix install and uninstall" tool.Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

"Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed"

Ran this and told it to look for uninstall problems.  It faound stuff and fixed it.  The ADOBE READER DC enterprise installer then worked - uninstalling "whatever" and installing DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the initial issue you had of it not installing from the website. It gave me the error of New/Old install already installed.  I used the link to get other versions and got the 32bit to install just fine. Not sure if it was due to Acrobat 32bit being installed and that is why it was not able to mix, but both are working now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this - I had the same issue. This computer previously had the 32-bit version installed, and the download site, by default, was giving me the 64-bit version of Adobe.  "readerdc_en_xa_install.exe"  

I went to the other version site:  https://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

I selected my Windows 10, English, 32-Bit.  There were two options:

1) Reader DC 2022.001.20117 English for Windows(64Bit)

2) Reader DC 2022.001.20117 English for Windows

I picked the second one, unchecked the "Optional Offers" and Downloaded Acrobrat Reader.

This time, I got a file named readerdc_en_xa_install.exe which did install correctly as normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just used Windows APP Store to download Reader DC with no problem after no success from Adobe.Com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For people who can't find the Acrobat Reader *.msi file in "Program Files" or "AppData" try to extract it from the *.exe file by following the next steps:

Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution at the following link: https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Then download and install: https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

What you have to do is open 7-Zip File Manager and select the AcroRdrDC[..].exe you just downloaded and hit Extract. After the extraction is finished search for the AcroRead.msi file in the folder you extracted the files to. Open and run it and you will have Acrobat Reader DC installed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kaba Mohamed 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sharing what I think should be an updated solution to this question as mine was slightly different.

- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\Setup\{AC76BA86-1033-1033-7760-BC15014EA700}

- Then double click on "AcroPro" which is the Windows Installer Package filetype. This finally installed it for me with no additional issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines