• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reopen PDFs from last session - how to enable ?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

= D is underscored for key equivalent, but disabled [shaded out]: ...

reader just updated, i rebooted, after screencapping window list of docs.

want to reload "from last session" but no go.

old user, slow learner, cranky but friendly - will pull up the hard way,

but would MUCH prefer being able to Reopen last session docs.

fairly knowledgeable wrt OPs and programs etc.

tell me a joke, too. thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Hi There,

Apologies for the trouble caused, as described above you have updated the application to the new version and want to reopen the PDF from the last session, correct?

With the new release v19.12.20036, now we can manually set the preference to reopen the PDF from the last session. Go to Edit (Windows), Adobe Reader / Adobe Acrobat DC (Mac) > Preferences > General > Check, Open PDF from the last session on Acrobat launch> click Ok

For more information, you may also refer to the help article -

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anybody have any idea why this came to my USA mailbox ?
if it was YOU -- why the characters ? or ... is that the joke ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Apologies for the trouble caused, as described above you have updated the application to the new version and want to reopen the PDF from the last session, correct?

With the new release v19.12.20036, now we can manually set the preference to reopen the PDF from the last session. Go to Edit (Windows), Adobe Reader / Adobe Acrobat DC (Mac) > Preferences > General > Check, Open PDF from the last session on Acrobat launch> click Ok

For more information, you may also refer to the help article - What's new in Adobe Acrobat DC

Let us know if you need more help

Regards,

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal - you are the best of the best. thank you so much.
i hope others you help celebrate your knowledge, too,

not to mention how kind and friendly and "easy on the eyes."

have a very good week ♥

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not always work.  I made the change in preferences, and sometimes it opens the PDF(s) from the previous session upon launch, and sometimes it doesn't.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About to pull my hair out. Computer shuts down occasionally for updates. Every other app recovers and relaunches files that were open in the last session without a hitch, but even with this setting checked Adobe will not relaunch my PDF files that were open. Can anyone help.....PLEASE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to get this done on a Macbook too but can't find the means yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this but it is not working. Works on one laptop. Does not work on another one. Any idea why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reopen PDFs from last session still grayed out. How do we enable it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enable also the entry "Open documents as new tabs in the same window".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is already enabled. i created a screen capture of the gray out portion

A4247CE5-25CD-46E5-AA34-83E20AF6EA0A.jpeg

4C715E9B-D3D8-44BA-A0C8-ED224A70C1C3.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This option works only if your Last Acrobat/Reader session had some PDF's opened/already launch when Acrobat/Reader was Closed/Quit.

If your Last session was closed without any PDF, it will not work since Technically your last session did not had any PDF when it was closed..

Hope it clarifies?

Thanks 

Ayush Jain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 2 years since this post above, which I found after trying to figure out how to get DC to open to the last page in PDFs I was working on. In otherwords, this solution no longer works. Instead, I draw boxes around the page number I was on. Then when I reopen the PDF, I have to scan through them t ofind the boxes,to figure out where I left off. This is maddening. 

Please tell me how to force DC to open PDF's I was working on to the last page I was on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[lONG COMMENT AHEAD BUT HOPE IT HELPS]

Hi, I came across here since I have the same concern with using adobe acrobat reader. I uninstalled it long time ago and have been using my edge browser in viewing pdf files. Edge pdf viewer opens the document I select with the last page on it that I viewed. I am worried that setting won't work in adobe but as a user again of adobe, (I just reinstalled it again because edge pdf viewer is not working fine) I am glad to share that I was able to view the last page I viewed on the documents I previously opened, when I reopen them and when I open the acrobat reader itself (took less than a minute before the last document you viewed reopens automatically). PS. IF YOU WANT THE LAST DOCUMENT WITH THE LAST PAGE YOU VIEWED TO OPEN WHEN YOU OPEN THE READER ITSELF, DO NOT CLOSE THE TAB OF THE DOCUMENT WHEN YOU CLOSE THE READER. I repeat, THE FUNCTION IS ALREADY WORKING. I also did these to my preferences. Hope it helps!!!

PbMay26617284okn4_0-1665884603876.png

PbMay26617284okn4_1-1665884798584.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pibs, I tried your advices and it works. While reopen the pdf file, it show up the last pages and interesting is the choice "open pdf from last session..." in my Adobe still in gray [not active].... hope others solve their problems as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution recommended under "Correct answer" - to change the settings in preferences - does work.

However, my question is  - how do make this setting persist?
I set this setting a while ago, but it switched off on its own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should remain checked. Maybe an update reset it, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Patrick275282362r5w 

That is correct, it should remain checked if you did change it from preferences. It must have been reset because of the automatic update installed.

Keep track of it, and observe this behavior, in case it resets again. Please do let us know.

~Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat reverses these changes as soon as I close Preferences.  How is a Preferences change permanently set?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... closed Preferences without saving.  Got it working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to save the preference setting we have to change in Preferences then close w/out saving? 

I'm shaking my head.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe -> Please make this setting the default behavior!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Macbook and I can't sort this yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @JIMOH32901955l00z

You can open Preferences from Cmd+K which will open Preferences Pane, then select General > Check, Open PDF from the last session on Acrobat launch> click Ok.

Relaunch Acrobat and changes would be reflected on Macbook.

Also, @Jeff32215096kt82 we have taken you feedback to make this Preference On by default.

-Bhawna (Adobe)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines