Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set Hand Tool as default?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I would like to set the default tool in Adobe Reader to be the Hand tool instead of the Select tool. How can I do this? Every time I open a new document I need to reselect the hand tool, which is extremely tedious. 

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Hi All

This issue is fixed with the new release 22.2.20212 now available. Please update the application from the help menu > check for updates and reboot the computer once.

For more information about the new release please go through the help page https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Hi mschwarze,

Sorry for the inconvience caused. We are showing Select Tool as default,  To change it to hand tool we can easily do it through just by selecting Hand tool and to get Hand tool selected always you can select Touch Mode Always under Preferences --> General.

Please let me know if this is not the issue to fix it asap.

Thanks & Regards

Gaurav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this a few times in a row.  change the value, kill all adobe processes or reboot.  Seems to work hopefully!

Regedit....Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\Selection\aDefaultSelect = Hand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is used this method because I wasn't being able to make the selection tool as default, I think it's a bug on Adobe.

I changed to this and it worked, I don't know if this is the correct command.

Regedit....Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\Selection\aDefaultSelect = Select

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of steps will fix this.

1. Go to: Edit/Preferences/Accessibility

In the section marked "Other Accessibility Options", de-select the check box labeled "Always display the keyboard selection cursor"

2. Go to: Edit/Preferences/General

In the section marked "Basic Tools", locate the "Touch Mode" pull-down menu. Note the following:

• Setting "Touch Mode" to AUTO-DETECT allows Adobe to automatically select what it thinks is appropriate, either Select Tool or Hand Tool, depending on the document.
  • Setting "Touch Mode" to ALWAYS for Hand Tool. (<- THIS is the real fix 😉

3. This is IMPORTANT.... After #2 above, you must grab the scroll bar to SCROLL DOWN, and then click OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this a few times, unfortunately it is not working for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you clicking the OK button after making your setting changes? On my machine, the OK button is off-screen. I have to grab the scroll bar and drag it down to see the OK button and click it. If you're not clicking OK, your settings are not being saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I was clicking the OK button. This solution used to work but no longer does. I just recently found another fix, perhaps linked to your solution here, I just posted it as a separate reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your solution has worked for me in the past, but on one machine, for whatever reason, I was unable to get it to update the registry value from within the software - only from regedit.  I didn't try rebooting and then re-trying it, but I would recommend that as an additional step.  @Clinton25657312w929 if this doesnt work (what mschwarze suggested after a reboot), then please try the registry setting in the above "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\Selection\aDefaultSelect = Hand" and reboot again as that's what it took for me the most recent time this happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your solution worked. Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a fix and it is most bizarre. It potentially is linked to other solutions here as I did not undo the changes made by them.

What I found is when you right click a document, you can change the selection type here BUT there are two versions of the right click menu. in a normal document, there is a small ribbon above with pictures of the tools. Selecting hand tool here, closing and re-opening the document will NOT have the hand tool stick. I happened to have a document open that had comments made by a different user and the right click menu is different for some reason, it has no ribbon above with pictures, but text to select from. If I choose the hand tool here, then right close and re-open, the hand tool is now default.

no.pngyes.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, something that should be an easy fix resolved in such a BIZZARE way! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send us the commented Pdf, try deleting the content first of course 🙂

Perhaps that document was generated in an old Pdf version or OS ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

This issue is fixed with the new release 22.2.20212 now available. Please update the application from the help menu > check for updates and reboot the computer once.

For more information about the new release please go through the help page https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated my Acrobat DC to version 2022.002.20212 | 64-bit, I found that the mentioned issue is still remaining, even after a reboot: It has not been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated:
I found that if the Settings > General > Touch Mode is set to Always, then the Hand Tool will be set as the default; and that if the Settings > General > Touch Mode is set to Never, then the Select Tool will be set as the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this behavior is not what I expected: In non-touch mode, I still can set the Touch Tool as the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This IS NOT A SOLUTION.  Either say you don't know, or get somoene who will tell us is not working.  I spent half hour reading these pages and the SELECT tool is always the default after following the so called instructions.  I deal with plans and research a lot. That means zooming into figues, panning a lot, and I do it with several PDFs at a time sometimes. Now Adobe always opens withthe SELECT buttom on. This was not the case and it was never an issue before.  Self inflicted complication. This is not a questions. is a status update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this...

A couple of steps will fix this.

1. Go to: Edit/Preferences/Accessibility
    In the section marked "Other Accessibility Options", de-select the check box labeled "Always display the keyboard selection cursor"
  2. In the section marked "Basic Tools", locate the "Touch Mode" pull-down menu. Note the following:
    • Setting "Touch Mode" to AUTO-DETECT allows Adobe to automatically select what it thinks is appropriate, either Select Tool or Hand Tool, depending on the document.
    • Set "Touch Mode" to ALWAYS for Hand Tool. (<- THIS is the real fix)
  3. Go to: Edit/Preferences/General
    This is IMPORTANT.... After #2 above, you must grab the scroll bar to SCROLL DOWN, and then click OK. On my machine, the OK button is off-screen. I have to grab the scroll bar (scroll wheel has no effect) and drag it down to see the OK button and click it. If you're not clicking OK, your settings are not being saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CLARIFICATION:
@Domingo2488069447tr

1. Go to: Edit/Preferences/Accessibility
2. Go to: Edit/Preferences/General
In the section marked "Basic Tools", locate the "Touch Mode" pull-down menu. Note the following:
• Setting "Touch Mode" to AUTO-DETECT allows Adobe to automatically select what it thinks is appropriate, either Select Tool or Hand Tool, depending on the document.
• Set "Touch Mode" to ALWAYS for Hand Tool. (<- THIS is the real fix)
3. This is IMPORTANT.... After #2 above, you must grab the scroll bar to SCROLL DOWN, and then click OK. On my machine, the OK button is off-screen. I have to grab the scroll bar and drag it down to see the OK button and click it. If you're not clicking OK, your settings are not being saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Comments are one of the only tools you don't need Acrobat Pro for.

To summarize this workaround:

>Open any pdf

>Select Comment tool from the Tools Pane (Shift+F4) or the Tools tab or Menu Bar (F9)>View>Tools>Comment>Open

>right click the document

>select Hand Tool (like @Clinton25657312w929 shows)

The Hand Tool should now stay selected. Perhaps this is what @Amal. stated was fixed; not really sure because he did not include details, just a link to a document that states a bug fix for "Unable to set Hand Tool as default".

This is not an acceptable solution because it is not intuitive. Adobe does not seem to have a department that cares about user ease. My experience has often been that there is a solution for every problem (in the pro versions), but it is hidden under an unintuitive layer (i.e. a sub-sub-sub-menu option). Or there is a similar and more intuitive option that doesn't do what you expect, like selecting the Hand Tool visible on the ribbon and assume Adobe will get the hint when you select it every time you open a document that you want that to be the default behaviour. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one did it for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also facing same issue when download pics even anything from combo smoker grill site but now its working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Lee26134612ypu6 

Thanks for confirming that the issue has been resolved. Let us know if there's any further assistance is required.

~Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines