• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text-box tool gone?

Participant ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the text-box tool that used to be in the 'Fill & Sign' panel been removed? I haven't been able to find it since the update, it's very frustrating.

I'm running the full version of Acrobat DC. I know I can go into the Edit Page tab and sometimes I'm able add text boxes, depending on how the document is formatted (but not always). But this is not what I'm wanting to do. How do I find the olod tool I was familiar with?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , Modern Acrobat , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Is this the tool you are looking for?

Abambo_0-1706390589761.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the tool you are looking for?

Abambo_0-1706390589761.png

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is. Thanks you! But it is extremely weird - sometimes that button is there, sometimes it's not. Perhaps it's how the document has been saved, before I've recieved it. Eg. however the author has set the edit permissions? I encountered a bunch of documents in a row where that button just wasn't there, and started to think the function had been removed. But I checked on a documented I'd authored, and it is there. Confusing and frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new interface is full of surprises. You could test this by locking own documents and seeing how it evolves. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks braydon.

Like you, I believe that recent updates to Adobe Acrobat Reader might have made changes to the availability of the Fill & Sign text box.

Rather than looking for the text box tool in the left panel, I use Tools > Fill & Sign to open the Fill & Sign toolbar and look for the text box option in the toolbar:

FillAndSignWithTextBoxOption.jpg

In the screenshot above, the text box option is circled in red. (The Tools option, used to reach Fill & Sign and open the toolbar, is in the green ellipse.)

For some documents, I see no text box option in the toolbar.

FillAndSignWithoutTextBoxOption.jpg

In some cases, File > Document Properties shows:

PropertiesWindow.jpg

It is easy to understand why there would be no text box option in the toolbar with such a document.

But in other cases, File > Document Properties shows that 'Filling of Form Fields' is Allowed, yet there is no textbox option in the toolbar!?!!

The Adobe Acrobat 'Fill in PDF forms' help (at https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/filling-pdf-forms.html) says, "Not all forms are fillable. Sometimes form creators don’t convert their PDFs to interactive fillable forms. Or, they intentionally design a form that you can fill in only by hand or with the Fill & Sign tool. These non-interactive forms are called flat forms."

I am using the free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader 24.002.20687 (the current level) on Windows 10 Pro 22H2.

I have a document that is an interactive form (in which the author has defined the fields to be filled in). For that document, File > Document Properties shows that 'Filling of Form Fields' is Allowed, yet there is no textbox option in the toolbar.

Perhaps that is true of all documents which are interactive forms, but it seems to me that the text box option used to be available even with interactive forms. That was helpful in situations (which were not uncommon) where the author of an interactive form forgot to make fillable one or more fields which needed to be filled in.

Perhaps the Adobe Acrobat Reader has been updated recently so that it no longer presents the text box option with interactive forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you have a border around a text box?  You could in previous version, but I have not been able to since this last upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally found it.  Now called "Add text comment".  Hope this helps.

MDennison_0-1709220634092.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines