• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thanks Adobe, for installing putrid McAfee on my PC without my permission!

Engaged ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader was running poorly (spinning wheel), so I decided to reinstall it from their site. No problem right because I am a loyal Cloud customer and we can trust Adobe! Wrong.

The devious installer put "McAfee Safe Connect" GARBAGE software on my Win10 PC, without my permission. It is a god awful experience trying to get rid of it and I have not done so yet.

McAfee are complete LIARS, their advertised uninstall via Windows usual methods is BS that just removes the reference to the name of the program from a list. Wtf Adobe are you not making enough $$ that you have to screw with long time Cloud subscribers??

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

The McAffee installer is an optional download with Reader, and is not selected by default, so unless you ticked those boxes at some point it should not have been installed on your computer:

try67_0-1610793106128.png

I agree it's not very good software, but that's neither here nor there, and Adobe has the right to recuperate its investment in the free Reader by partnering up with third-parties and bundling their software with theirs. This is a very common practice, and I personally prefer it over having ads in the

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2024 Sep 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

NOPE!!  There was no install screen on my install. And yes, Adobe has the right to make even more money, but I also have the right to say that their product is crap and spread the word to not use it. There, fixed it for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have filed a formal complaint regarding to this case [here]

This is completely outrageous and unacceptable (make have actually touched US law: Computer Fraud and Abuse Act 18 U.S.C. § 1029 and 1030), please help to support the complaint crusade by upvoting & commenting my submition to their product team here: [Click here to direct], 30 upvotes will get us to the top of the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never solved it. Husband's PC. I have Acrobat with CC, so I don't need the free reader on my Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that.  I just went to https://get.adobe.com/reader and it looks completely different than the other day.  The 2 optional McAfee downloads are listed at the top of the page again (like they were years ago).  I still had to UNcheck them, BUT they were highly visible and not hidden as they were last week.

So thank you!  We WON!! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@FeliTec 

In Europe, the law forbids opt out options, so you expressly need to opt-in. That would be the way to go. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adobe for wasting my morning unistalling an unwanted program. Very deceptive and a terrible business practice. I can tell you without a doubt I do not want Mcafee on my PC and had no intention of installing it. I was simply running an Adobe update, that is it. Shameful.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2024 Sep 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Revo Uninstaller (free) to remove McAfee, and just about anything else.  Be careful after scanning, and do not check anything not in bold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines