• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The SAVE icon is grayed out and SAVE AS option is not working in my Acrobat Adobe Reader DC

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The save command is grayed out when I open a .pdf document in the Acrobat Adobe Reader viewer. I used to "save as" once opened, but now this command is not working properly, I think it happened after an operating system update (windows 10), so I thought this was related to it, but I can say...

The keyboard short Shift-CTRL-S is not working either... but it used to work and it works with other files like .odt or .doc

The point is: why could I do save and save as when already have the pdf document opened (pdf viewer) before and now this button is grayed out and cannot do save or save as anymore? I'm not doing nothing wrong using Acrobat Adobe Reader DC, because I do exactly the same of what I used to, and it always worked, so now it's something different...

Please help!!

Thanks in advance!!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Sep 19, 2016 Sep 19, 2016

Thank you very much Shivan Sharma !!

Magically It worked for me when I followed the link you suggest...!!!

All the best!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

I had the same problem by trying converting spot to process colors. (ADOBE ACROBAT PRO version 2024.001.20604)

With or whithout the checkboxes  'show online storage when opening files'  +  'show online storage when saving files' checked, I cloud not save.

For me the solution was:

When I tried to convert going via  'USE PRINT PRODUCTION / OUTPUT PREVIEW / INK MANAGER / CONVERT ALL SPOTS TO PROCESS' it did not work.

Goin via  'USE PRINT PRODUCTION / CONVERT COLORS / INK MANAGER / CONVERT ALL SPOTS T

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ajuso  ,

Could you please let us know the version of Adobe Reader installed on the machine?

Is this happening with a single pdf file or with other pdf files as well?

Try to follow below mention steps:

1- Restart the computer.

2- If step 1 doesn't work, check if there is an update available for Reader, launch Reader>navigate to Help menu>click Check for updates.

3- If step 2 doesn't work, repair Reader, navigate to Help menu and select Repair installation.

4- If step 3 doesn't work, remove Reader using Cleaner tool found here: Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs , restart the computer and then download and install Reader DC from here: Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution  (select your operating system, language, and version accordingly)

Let us know if it worked.

Thank You,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2016 Sep 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for reply!

My versión is Reader DC 2015.017.20050 for windows

This problem is happenig with all pdf files.

When I open the file I don't have any problem, and when I want to save it, I realize the save icon is grayed out and the save as option is not working, is not grayed out, but when I want to use save as, it opens a new dialog window wich keeps hunging on and never finsih to complete showing the new window, wich is the window that shows the options where to save the file.

I've follow all the steps you suggest but I still have the same problem...

Thanks for any help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 19, 2016 Sep 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ajuso

Save option is grayed out until you make any changes to the document.

And for "Save as" option, you may try out the steps given in this link : "save as" pop up box does not allow me to save the document.

Let us know if it worked.

Thank You,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2016 Sep 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Shivan Sharma !!

Magically It worked for me when I followed the link you suggest...!!!

All the best!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2024 Sep 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, I can't believe this is an actual problem! I am a Mac user and all the same for me, the save and save as functions disappeared. Not sure why... I've solved it by using signiture panel, although I didn't put any signiture there but it allowed me the save as function for saving a copy on my local computer. Hopefully these simple function will come back with the next softwear updates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem - My save icon is grayed out

File-SaveAs works

The Cleaner tool link is not found (Error 404)

The ReaderDC link works - I downloaded it and ran it

but it said I have a more functional version alredy installed and terminated

My Save Icon is still grayed out

commenting on 12/21/2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind.

I see you said in a separate reply that it will work once you make a change to the document - I don't usually make changes so I will always just us SaveAs

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2023 Jul 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i likeds adobe 8 better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done all of the things listed to fix this - and the save button is still gray, and the save as button works once or twice, then it disappears again - it will even sometimes bring up the save as box - but when I click on choose a different folder, nothing happens! I have done repair installation, updates, and re-installed - nothing has had a lasting fix!  The 2 boxes unchecked in preferences will not stay unchecked! Please help - I use this constantly - all day, and my work is paralyzed without being able to save pdfs to my computer!

BBauer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2016 Sep 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi coryg85234731

Try resetting preferences for Reader, close Reader DC, go to C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\DC, move entire DC folder to some other location like temp folder.

To view temp folder, press Windows+ R key on your keyboard, type temp in the run dialogue box then press enter.

If App data folder is not visible under your user name, launch Windows Explorer then click Organize in the top left corner of the screen>then click Folder and search option>under View>Hidden files and folders,click Show hidden files, folders and drives>then click Apply and OK

Try launching Reader again and check the issue is fixed

Thank You,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This message was originally HTML formatted.  View in a HTML capable client to see the original version.\r\n\r\n  Hi - I have not tried this yet, because I could not wait any longer - however, I found that using Internet Explorer instead of Mozilla allowed me to again save pdfs to my computer, (the save button is still gray).  There seems to be some fundamental conflicts between Firefox  Acrobat Reader, as this is not the first time I have had issues between the 2 - forcing me to use Internet Explorer rather than Firefox.  Thanks! -

[Personal info removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 32 bit or the 64 bit version of Firefox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This message was originally HTML formatted.  View in a HTML capable client to see the original version.\r\n\r\n  I am not sure - I just updated, it says Version 43.0 - does that help?  It was not working before or after the update though -

[Personal information removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how you would determine which it is: How do I tell if I have the 32-bit or 64-bit Firefox? | Firefox Help

The reason I ask is because Adobe Reader is not compatible with the 64 bit version. More than likely, that's not the issue but it's worth checking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried everything in this thread, when I had exactly the same problem... couldn't save pdfs at all (disk icon greyed out, save and save as on menu also greyed out) my pdfs weren't 'read only' either.

Tried updating, uninstalling, Adobe acrocleaner tool, reinstalling again.  -didn't work-

In the end just going to preferences - general - and then unchecking both 'show online storage when opening files'  +  'show online storage when saving files' fixed the entire problem, hey presto.

Another thing I noticed during my minor ordeal was that until you've edited/changed something in a pdf you can only 'save as' on the menu and the save disk icon will be grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem by trying converting spot to process colors. (ADOBE ACROBAT PRO version 2024.001.20604)

With or whithout the checkboxes  'show online storage when opening files'  +  'show online storage when saving files' checked, I cloud not save.

For me the solution was:

When I tried to convert going via  'USE PRINT PRODUCTION / OUTPUT PREVIEW / INK MANAGER / CONVERT ALL SPOTS TO PROCESS' it did not work.

Goin via  'USE PRINT PRODUCTION / CONVERT COLORS / INK MANAGER / CONVERT ALL SPOTS TO PROCESS' it works.

I presume it was the fact that the first is only an OUTPUT PREVIEW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what happens if we need to keep the sopt colors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines