• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

there was an error processing a page. there was a problem reading this document (110)?

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2012 Jun 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

my name is kapil and i am trying to open one (which is downloded) pdf document.which giving me an error as there was an error processing a page. there was a problem reading this document (110) for some page only. i am using acrobat reader x. is it any 3d setting or any thing else please give me an idea. i am waiting for replay as soon as possible...........

your sincerely

KAPIL TRIVEDI

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 06, 2012 Oct 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened a pdf document in Adobe Reader X. When I attempted to scroll through the pages the following error message appeared, “There was an error processing a page. There was a problem reading the document (110). After an Internet search to try to find the reason for the error and a solution, I came across a site that suggested it was an issue regarding the fonts of the document. I then reopened the document and went into the document’s font properties (FILE – PROPERTIES – FONTS tab). There I noticed that the “Gathering font information” stopped at 2% which, of course, I took to mean that Adobe Reader X was having a difficult time in loading the font’s information. Another site suggested opening the document in the pdf reader, Foxit. So I did, and the document loaded properly with no error messages. I was still curious as to why the document did not load entirely in Adobe Reader X and if the same problem would occur using a different reader. I then downloaded the pdf reader, Nitro Reader 2.  I opened the same document and initially received the following message, “The requested page number is invalid and does not exist in this document.” I closed the message and proceeded to scroll through the document. As I scrolled, the following message appeared, “This file was damaged (corrupted) and has been repaired.” I thought, “Wonderful!” I then chose <FILE – SAVE AS – PDF DOCUMENT> and saved the “repaired” document under a new name. When I opened the “repaired” document with Adobe Reader X, behold, the document opened entirely with no error message. I was curious, so I went into the document’s font properties and noticed, this time around, that the “Gathering font information” loaded to 100%. Nitro Reader 2 detected the error and fixed it. Now I’m left to wonder…why wasn’t Adobe Reader X able to do the same? I hope this post helps others who are experiencing the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting the same 110 error with Acrobat XI Pro when I open certain pdf's.  It's interesting that every other program I've tried opens the questionable pdf without issues.  So logically this is more of an acrobat issue and not problem with the pdf itself.  So how come the best (allegedly) pdf software out there is the only one that can't open it's own native format because it can't recognize some font??  That's just shameful.  I have to resort to a free reader like SumatraPDF or Nitro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's true that when I open the pdf in Nitro and look at the file properties, I see many more fonts loaded than in Acrobat.  I tried doing what user Aldora310 did by fixing the issue in Nitro, but unfortunately and ironically I don't get an error message in Nitro, so no 'repair' is possible cuz there's nothing to repair. 

Acrobat is so rudimentary in its error handling.  "Can't open pdf, error # gazillion and five".  Well what the hell is error # gazillion and five.  "Shht be quite, nobody is supposed to know".  Then I search a bunch of forums and find that it MIGHT have something to do with fonts.  Then I noticed that more fonts load in Nitro than the almighty Acrobat.  The whole thing is pathetic.  Can't Acrobat tell me that its a problem with fonts and POSSIBLY give me a suggestion? 

Anyway, when Acrobat can't 'process' a file because of font issues, while every other free pdf program on the face of the planet can open it without a problem, something is laughably wrong. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2014 Mar 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I encountered an error "there was a problem reading this document 110" in Acrobat Pro 11 on 28.7 MB CS6 file, it indeed was very frustrating.

I solved my problem, but since I don't know which step benefitted me, I've to enumerate all the steps I took:

Read below:

1.1. I could copy the file anywhere on the drive, but couldn't 'save as' from Acrobat Pro.

1.2. No document security was applied of any sort on the file.

1.3. Still in the first tab of the document properties, all details under advance section were empty. No 'PDF Version' 'location' 'file size' etc were populated. Nothing.

1.4. I couldn't change and save anything in any of property dialogue. I could comment on the text, but as soon as I tried to save, it gave an error (some sort of 'File reading' error).

1.5. When I tried to extract a page (I tried many), it gave 'reading error'.

1.6. I didn't try 'splitting error'. Since I was 100% sure, it'll give me same reading error.

1.7. I opened the file in Firefox and tried saving it as pdf from there. But no error, but no save either.

1.8. I ran 'Remove Hidden Information' from protection panel without any errors.

1.9. I tried 'sanitize document' from the same tab, but didn't succeed.

1.10. Then (here I think the problem was resolved), from Document Processing panel, I did some commands. 1st, 'Export all images', successfully. Then 'Remove all links', it found 0.

1.11. Then in 'print production' panel, I clicked/tried to open acrobat distiller. The same opened, did some processing. But I don't know if it did something in solving the problem or not.

1.12. Although I think my problem was resolved till now, but the last step I did was 'Saved As' the file (from the file menu) as a .ps file. Though I've not yet reopened/used that ps file (to convert it into a pdf file again). But around here I wanted to close the file and it asked me whether I wanted to save the file, I said yes. And it saved the file correctly. And I checked that in properties dialogue, the missing information was populated too.

1.13. Sorry for so lengthy instructions, but I had no choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2014 Dec 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your method worked like charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! I had a similar problem and I followed these steps and there you go! Problem solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2014 Apr 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat X 10.0.2 Pro:

Error Message:

The document could not be saved. There was a problem reading this document (110).

File > Properties > Fonts

Gathering font information... (15%)

At this point Adobe gets stuck.

I have solved this issue.

Nitro Pro v9.0.5.9 (x64): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitro_PDF

FILE > Save As > Standard PDF

Nitro Pro will review the PDF's integrity and save a repaired version of your PDF document.

Now you can open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat.

> File > Properties > Fonts

Gathering font information... (100%)

You can now edit and save your PDF without hassle.

Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2014 Apr 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobo0 wrote:

What if you update AcrobatX to the latest version 10.1.9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2014 Aug 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobo0

Your solution worked perfectly for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobo0 wrote:

Error Message:

The document could not be saved. There was a problem reading this document (110).

File > Properties > Fonts

Gathering font information... (15%)

At this point Adobe gets stuck.

I have solved this issue.

Nitro Pro v9.0.5.9 (x64): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitro_PDF

FILE > Save As > Standard PDF

Nitro Pro will review the PDF's integrity and save a repaired version of your PDF document.

Now you can open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat.

> File > Properties > Fonts

Gathering font information... (100%)

You can now edit and save your PDF without hassle.

Problem solved.

This method worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are also having the same issue with Acrobat DC now. Why is Adobe not able to fix the issue directly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2016 May 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect way to solve this problem.

100% done with me.

grateful(thank you) a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2014 Oct 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still got the message "The document could not be saved. There was a problem reading this document (110)"

In more detail:

- I am using the latest version of both 'Adobe Reader' and 'Adobe Acrobat Pro'

- I am using the latest version of OSX, i.e OSX 10.9.5

- I downloaded some pdf file

- I opened the file (both with 'Adobe Reader' and 'Adobe Acrobat Pro')

I could read the file (and did not receive any warning on opening)

- I highlighted a small piece of text and tried to save the modified file

- I got the message  "The document could not be saved. There was a problem reading this document (110)"

(from both 'Adobe Reader' and 'Adobe Acrobat Pro')

- I did not get any warning when reading the file

So, can someone please:

-    explain the details of  message "The document could not be saved. There was a problem reading this document (110)"

- tell me how I can circumvent / deal  this annoying problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I got the same issue. And, after reading those reply. I consolidate 2 situation and question

1) Once I got this issue and I use "Gathering font information". If it stop loading in X%, what can I do for next step? (I can't use other software to replace adobe as it;s corporate platform that third party software installation blocked.

2) Once I got this issue and I use "Gathering font information". If it loaded 100%, what is the next step? refresh my browser? And what can I do after if it still failure after refresh my browser?

Thank you very much

Some more information:

IE: 9.0.8112

Adobe reader: 11.0.15

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your are open the PDF from office ppt files  . Fist insert  PDF you can printer a new PDF and insert again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2016 Jun 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue opening PDF bank statements. I used PDF-JPG converter software and was able to read and print the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the mac, I opened with Preview, then exported a new PDF.  The new PDF has all the same content, but no error 110.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thomas92 wrote:

On the mac, I opened with Preview, then exported a new PDF. The new PDF has all the same content, but no error 110.

The new PDF actually doesn't have the same content - same as if you export to .ps and create new PDF using the .ps ... you lose ALL bookmarks, so if this is a textbook, good luck taking the time to put them all back in.  No Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thomas92 wrote:

On the mac, I opened with Preview, then exported a new PDF. The new PDF has all the same content, but no error 110.

The new PDF actually doesn't have the same content - same as if you export to .ps and create new PDF using the .ps ... you lose ALL bookmarks, so if this is a textbook, good luck taking the time to put them all back in. No Thanks.

You're so right, I should have added this disclaimer: 

This is a fast and easy solution that saves the text, images and format of the original PDF to a new file without having to download additional software when on a mac.  I used it to fix a textbook file I couldn't otherwise access without downloading additional software.  Beware, you might have to use the find function to jump to a specific chapter or section number rather than using the bookmarks.  If you can't live without the bookmarks, see the posts above about downloading Nitro Pro to fix the original PDF rather than making a duplicate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this work for me so much! I open it on preview and save it with another name.

thanks, you save me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be the wrong format in your document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened the document in Nitro pdf and did the same thing but again after opening it in Acrobat and adding some comment I get the same error massage and can not save it !!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple solution that worked for me:  I went to pdfmerge.com.  I merged the damaged pdf with a pdf of a blank page (I opened Word, then saved the blank document as a pdf).  The merged file worked.  Here are the steps in other words:

1)  Open Word Document and leave the page blank

2)  Save the blank document as a pdf

3)  Go to pdfmerge.com

4)  Upload the blank pdf and the damaged pdf that gives the 110 error

5)  Merge the files and download the new pdf

The downside is that your new pdf has one additional blank page.  But at least this way it will save.  Hope this works for others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, this worked for me, saved me hours of work and stress. Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines