Unable to view preview in Outlook or windows Preview Pane

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running the current version of adobe and am on Windows 10 20h2. This is a new computer that replaced an older Windows 7 machine.

When inside Outlook (2019, 32-bit), I click Preview PDF and get the error "This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the following previewer: PDF Preview Handler"

In Windows Explorer it just states "This file cannot be previewed"

I have already confirmed "Show preview handlers in preview pane" is enabled in View Options in Windows, 

inside Adobe I have confirmed Adobe is the default PDF Handler, have checked "Enable PDF Thumbnail Previews in Windows Explorer", disabled "Enbable Protected Mode at startup" and "Enable Enhanced Security" is off.

I have repaired the installation of Adobe, tried an older version of adobe, run Outlook in Safe Mode, confirmed the registry entry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{DC6EFB56-9CFA-464D-8880-44885D7DC193}

and 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{DC6EFB56-9CFA-464D-8880-44885D7DC193}

are both correct.

I have created a new OST in Outlook

I am pretty much out of ideas here. Does anyone have another solution for me to try?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to add, if I install another PDF application such as Foxit, the previews are fine. This however causes other issues with Word opening PDFs and eventually the previewer breaks when Adobe's PDF Previewer gets reenabled somehow after rebooting so I am trying to avoid a different PDF Application as a resolution.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NicolasGBM  I have exaclty the same issue and it also works when I install a different PDF viewer. Did you ever find a solution for this?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, so far they are just 'dealing with it' as nothing seems to be working to resolve this. The only thing that has worked is another PDF application but that is very temporary as that breaks within days every time.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recently upgraded my Windows version and now it seems to work

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines