• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

URL links are getting corrupted by Acrobat Reader.

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We create password protected PDFs which contain links to external URLs.
These links work fine when we view the generated PDFs in chrome and firefox.
But the links are getting corrupted by Acrobat Reader.
One or more characters are getting corrupted (e.g "https://mywebiste.com/1234567" is trying to link to "https://mywebiste.com/123:567" or "https://my?ebiste.com/1234567")

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved from using the community >

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How have you created the links?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDFs are created using jsPdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the link tool in Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bernd, but that is not viable as we are generating very sophisticated PDFs automatically.

These links work absolutely fine in chrome or firefox PDF reader - it is only Acrobat Reader that corrupts the URLs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader can't change links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, but it is not reading them correctly, whereas chrome and firefox PDF readers are reading them fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a sample file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernd

Apologies - took a while to generate one - plus I had to ask consent from the client to use their details.

If you hover over the link at the top in chrome PDF Reader (for example), you see the correct URL, but in Adobe Reader it is corrupted.

Thnks very much.

Kind regards

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document is password protected. I can't check the links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I examined the internal structure of the file (independently of Adobe) and Acrobat is showing the actual URL used for the link. My guess is that the PDF plugins in the browsers don't display the Link objects at all but just interpret the file's contents and display a link over the plain-text URLs they find.

You can test it by moving the link object elsewhere on the page. Does it still work in the browsers, or is it ignored? Is the URL text still clickable, even though there's no Link over it?

At any rate, this is something you'll need to fix in the application used to create the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robin273851776am9_0-1669909882638.png

The screenshot shows in gray what appears on chrome - which is correct, but what's in yellow (in Adobe Reader) shpws "screfd" rather than "scread".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text that is displayed is different from the link itself - because that goes to another server to be redirected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean now... That is strange. The link does point to the right URL, but it seems Acrobat misinterprets it. Can you share a non-secured version of the file, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could tweak the code to create an unencrypted version, but my suspicion is that the corruption might not occur without it.

I do not have a password for the file I sent you - I would need to look into the code of the 3rd party compnent to see how it does the encryption.

I will get back to you.

Thanks Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry I see you are try67 not bernd - forgive me I am new to the community and not used to the layout yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be that you have two links at the same place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there are two overlapping links there, which is not good, but both lead to this incorrect address (despite pointing to the right one), so I don't think that's the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made numerous attempts to create a corrupted unencrypted file, but as I expected, I have not suceeded after about 20 attempts.  The corruption on the encrypted files is not consistent - some of the links are OK, but as you see, some are not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked at the code and it looks as though the default password is "" - is that of any use to you in further understanding the file I sent you earlier?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have resaved the document with Acrobat and now it shows always the wrong link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a good thing, either. The password shouldn't be empty. My guess is this is causing some kind of corruption throughout the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - thanks - I can easily add a password - let me try and see if that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried with a password, but the corruption is still there 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines