• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What are the limitations of adobe reader on various platforms and devices, regarding multimedia?

Explorer ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am planning a project where text, pictures and video will be displayed universally on devices, typically tablets and phones.

To make the information available off line, I want to create a pdf. The user can initially download the document and then use away from wifi or phone connection.

So far, I discovered a slide show requires Flash Player to run and this is not an option for popular devices.

How can that problem be overcome?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

If you build mobile apps or e-books, users will still need to download and install them from Google Play, Apple or Amazon stores.

See Phone Gap Build for more on building Mobile Apps.

Adobe PhoneGap Build

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AlanJPerks  wrote

I am planning a project where text, pictures and video will be displayed universally on devices, typically tablets and phones.

In that case, it would make more sense to build a responsive web site with HTML5, CSS and JavaScript.    HTML5 <video> is well supported by all modern devices and no Flash player plugins are required.   Image slideshows are best done with CSS and JavaScript however as video is bandwidth heavy.

The tools of choice for this project are Dreamweaver (coding skills required) or Muse (aimed at non-coders).  And  of course, you'll need a domain name & web hosting to publish your media online.   People can save web pages to their device for offline viewing.

PDF requires special add-ons in browsers.  As I write this, the major browsers are starting a campaign to drop support for add-ons largely for security reasons.  Flash support will be phased out soon, too.

Mozilla to Drop Support for All NPAPI Plugins in Firefox 52, Except Flash

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nancy,

Your advice is sound and not unknown to me. However, as I mentioned, the project has to be used off line, so a website is no use. Also, and I didn't mention this, it would be problematic for the client to keep the web site updated with only simple word processing skills.

I was also considering a single file HTML file created by Word, but this introduces difficulties for Joe public to download and install on their device. Different devices, different locations to access it from the device and so on.

For me, the easiest solution would be to write software, but Apple are expensive and restrictive with software on phone and tablet devices. The software development tool would produce for all platforms from one base program. (Livecode)

It looks like we can get a man on the moon, but not produce a simple media rich document, regardless of Adobe advertising.

Thank you for your help, so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you build mobile apps or e-books, users will still need to download and install them from Google Play, Apple or Amazon stores.

See Phone Gap Build for more on building Mobile Apps.

Adobe PhoneGap Build

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nancy, I think I might go with PhoneGap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

However, as I mentioned, the project has to be used off line, so a website is no use.

You should consider publishing using the ePub Fixed Layout format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines