• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why am I now being asked for my Adobe ID password to open PDF files?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files are not password protected. Is there a way to turn this off?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

I had a similar problem on my Macbook Pro running 10.13.6. Adobe Acrobat Reader version 18.011.20058.  After trying to open files that are saved locally to my laptop, I kept getting the Adobe login prompt. There was no cancel option and clicking on the red circle, which would normally close the window, accomplished nothing.  I could not quit/close down adobe reader normally: 1) selecting File-->Quit or 2) Command-Q.  The only other option, other than being forced to log into my Adobe account, wh

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe ID is nothing to do with the document password. Is it definitely asking for Adobe ID, and not some other password (system admin password for example)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. Screen shot below--requesting my Adobe ID. I realize this has nothing to do with document password, which is why I explicitly stated that.

I am working on a stand-alone personal machine not on a LAN. I had downloaded a credit card statement, and it wouldn't allow me to view it until I signed in with Adobe ID. I had similar last week with other PDF files, which I opened with different software.

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 5.32.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you just open Adobe Acrobat Reader (without opening a file)? Do you still get this prompt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not getting the login prompt. I did not try it alone when it was first asking for log-in when I was opening files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you saved the document in the document cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I know of. In 2 cases they were documents on my local hard drive. In one case I was on my bank's website in a secure account and asked to view my latest statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Can you please confirm the application are you using to view the pdfs. Is it Acrobat or Reader?

Also, please let us know the exact workflow you are following?

Thanks,

Poorvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Version 2017.12.20095

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and why should we be asked to give the adobe ID to open up a file every time we need to open one? disgusting business practice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I wouldn't really care if they doubled the price of Acrobat Reader. Tripled even. They are welcome, since twice nothing is still nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was asked for my workflow. In the first instance I had 2 PDF files on my MacBook Air. They were both files I had previously created. I went to open one and it asked for my login. I closed it and tried to open the other one, and again it was asking me to login, so I closed it. I then opened both with Apple's Preview software instead.

A few days later I was logged into my bank account on the Internet and asked to view my bank statement. It opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader since that is my default, but then was blocked until I logged in with my Adobe ID. It then forced me to add some account authorization steps before I could access the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for providing the detailed information around workflow.

It would really help, if you could provide some more information like: 

(1) Were you signed-in, in Reader previously ? And are these issues coming after sign-out?

(2) Is sign-in dialog coming with all the pdfs that you opened? Was the bank statement that you mentioned, opened in browser (Safari?)

(3) Do you also have Acrobat installed at your system, if yes, could you please tell the version?

(4) Also, what is the Mac OSX version, where you are seeing these issues?

Thanks,

Sumita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem on my Macbook Pro running 10.13.6. Adobe Acrobat Reader version 18.011.20058.  After trying to open files that are saved locally to my laptop, I kept getting the Adobe login prompt. There was no cancel option and clicking on the red circle, which would normally close the window, accomplished nothing.  I could not quit/close down adobe reader normally: 1) selecting File-->Quit or 2) Command-Q.  The only other option, other than being forced to log into my Adobe account, which is an exceptionally intrusive violation of my privacy, was to force quit the program. 

I solved this problem by deleting Adobe Acrobat Reader.  When I next tried to open a PDF saved on my machine, it opened perfectly in Preview.  No unnecessary login to my Adobe Account required.  Productivity has now resumed and I can now complete the tasks I set out to accomplish before running into this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to sign in every time i open a pdf file- so what do i do? you have no contact person to talk to, and I'll have to wait forever for a response so time to just remove your program- and go online to open up adobes outside of your damn program- this is disgusting business practicea- right harrass the user ALL THE TIME!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can we make this stop. Just stop. I don't want to enter my LONG password for Acrobat Reader every time I need to open a silly PDF (a closed, old, innefficient format, btw).  I have the Adobe Photography suite, and will not upgrade to the full suite because I don't need it.
It's a READER, it's not the paid version. It's ABSURD this is happening. 
How do we stop this behavior, besides deleting YOUR OWN application? I didn't sign up for this.
Adobe, do better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"every time I need to open a silly PDF (a >>closed<<, old, innefficient format, btw)"

Whether you like passwords or not, PDF is absolutely NOT a closed format. Since 2008 PDF has been controlled by ISO - Adobe gave away the control to the world, and ever since Acrobat 1.0 all the info has been freely available. There are countless PDF reading apps, because of this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you edit a PDF without Adobe Acrobat? If not, closed format. 
Still, this started a little while ago, without warning. It's stupid, unnecessary (for a free reader) and absolutely aggravating when you are in the middle of something and you have to fish out your LONG password, because password apps won't work on their Login.
So, Adobe, do better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem on my Android smartphone. I was forced to delete Adobe Acrobat Reader to be able to read the files on my phone memory.

Why did Adobe forced its way to require login which takes eternity to complete?

Acrobat Reader used to be synonymous with hassle-free, simple process. I guess that era is long gone. If you can make it to be complex, don't simplify it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Skip ahead 18 months and I have the same problem as connieinToronto and delvok.

(Mac OS 10.15.3, Adobe Acrobat reader 2020.006.20034)
Adobe login prompt appears whenever an offline PDF document is opened. 

The red circle doesn't quit the login screen and the only way to exit the applications is via Force-quit.

... same solution, too. Just unistall and find another PDF reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the last 18 months I think it's now become Adobe's policy to expect a sign in when Reader is started. Should only have to do it once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this every time I try to open a PDF....using the free Acrobat Reader application.

Why do I need to log in if the application is free and I am only trying to read a downloaded non-protected PDF. I find this new issue very frustrating.

[Personal contact info removed - Mod]

Check out my Bio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if your default printer hasn't been changed to "One Note". That was my problem and after I changed my printer back to default this went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love when Adobe replies to an issue with tons of questions (well-know escape method used by too many customer services), especially when the issue is a common one.

As I have the same irritating issue, (asking to log in just for viewing a pdf document is irritating, and intrusive enough to even question the legality of it), I have decided:

1) to use another pdf reader

2) not to purchase the Adobe graphics suite that I need (using some alternatives)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it when people use the slightest pretext to say how they aren't using the Adobe products. Especially when they take the trouble to register, come to Adobe's forum, search and add a post saying how little they care. Have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines