• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does the Mouse cursor change into a black box within Adobe DC?

May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a user, who when opening any pdf document, her cursor changes into a black box

When you go into the preference settings it shows normal, when back into the home screen black box cursor returns

Removed Adobe DC, Reinstalled again Via Web Installer

Updated Java in-case it maybe linked

Restored the OS to a previous working state and the it still does the same

Is there some setting that could be causing this? Macro or ActiveX?

Black Box only shows in Adobe

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Can you let us know if the following workaround helps resolve the issue?

1. Go to local appdata folder -

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\DC

2. Delete the following file in local appdata folder -

IconCacheRdr.dat, in case of Reader DC

IconCacheAcro.dat, in case of Acrobat DC

3. Restart Reader/Acrobat

Do you still see the black cursor issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James - deleting the cache files should not effect the products installed on your machine.

From where are you trying to download your Acrobat subscription installer?    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with black box just popping up. I'm using Acrobat DC pro and not just the reader. I have a creative cloud subscription and can't seem to go back to to an earlier version as a work around. Have you solved this problem. It's difficult to take a screen shot of the problem because when you  move the cursor away from the task bar it disappears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Black Cursor Problem RESOLVED using your May 20 instructions to delete > IconCacheRdr.dat,

I'm a Windows 10 user running Acrobat Reader DC/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An important addendum to the "Correct Answer" posted in green above: First, close Acrobat first. If it is open when you delete the file, it will come back when you close and reopen Acrobat. Second do NOT try renaming the file (e.g. IconCacheAcro.dat -> IconCacheAcro.old) or it will return again. The fix only works if you close Acrobat, delete the appropriate file and then restart Acrobat and your cursor will return to normal operations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to delete one called IconCacheRdr65536.dat

I did the suggested fix, removing IconCacheRdr.dat but it didn't work (Yes, Adobe Reader DC was closed at the time).  I also noticed that the file wasn't recreated when starting Adobe Reader DC again.  I also noticed that this 65536 file was in there the whole time too so I closed Reader DC, renamed that file with a ".OLD" and restarted Reader and this fixed the problem.  Also, I noticed that the IconCacheRdr65536.dat file was recreated.

The black box is gone, the black arrow has returned and I still don't have a the original IconCacheRdr.dat file.  I did delete the ".OLD" file after everything was working again.

I'm running Win7 Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too!  Thanks.

I'm running Win7 Pro 64bit SP1 and DC 2019.021.20061.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that useful addendum!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"An important addendum to the "Correct Answer" posted in green above: First, close Acrobat first. If it is open when you delete the file, it will come back when you close and reopen Acrobat. Second do NOT try renaming the file (e.g. IconCacheAcro.dat -> IconCacheAcro.old) or it will return again. The fix only works if you close Acrobat, delete the appropriate file and then restart Acrobat and your cursor will return to normal operations."

This really should be added to the "correct answer" as it has solved the issue, at least for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A long time ago (?3 years) Adobe said they were trying to fix it ...

I followed anup.k's helpful route posted in 2016:

1. Go to local appdata folder -

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\DC

2. Delete the following file in local appdata folder -

IconCacheRdr.dat, in case of Reader DC

IconCacheAcro.dat, in case of Acrobat DC

3. Restart Reader/Acrobat

However, for me, the second file was called iconCacheRdr65536.dat (I use W10 and my Acrobat is Reader DC version 2019.010.20099). I needed to delete both files for the fix to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I worked for me too - deleting both files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted literally every Adobe folder in: App data, program files, program files x86, username\appdate\local & locallow & roaming.  Literally everywhere that I can think of that adobe creates when it is installed was deleted, and reinstalling still shows up with a black box for the curser.  Pretty ridiculous, going to revert back to an older version.  How was this posted so long ago and there has been no resolution?  Where you at Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked today for me on 2017.012.20098

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with black box just popping up. I'm using Acrobat DC pro and not just the reader. I have a creative cloud subscription and can't seem to go back to to an earlier version as a work around. Have you solved this problem. It's difficult to take a screen shot of the problem because when you  move the cursor away from the task bar it disappears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a link to a video of the problem with the black box appearing on Acrobat DC Pro

https://youtu.be/nM8fmwsJOzc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are you seeing this issue on your local machine or are you accessing the machine remotely?

Thanks,

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ankit, I did what someone suggested about the DC file, and the black box went away.

Thanks,

Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, please share the operating system details with us?

To get the OS details:

1) Press windows key + R

2) Type "winver" in the run dialog.

You will see a new dialog showing the OS details.

Thanks,

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2016 Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, we have built an enhanced logging for debugging the root cause and need a reproducible case to debug more. Anyone still facing the black box cursor issue? Please let me know.

regards

Aj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JainAjay,

we still have the problem with the black cursor / cross-hair and slower performance. I tested already the workaround mentioned before.

Details:
Adobe Version: 2015.017.20050

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2016 Jul 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Franz for reporting this. We have a private build that I will share with you (through email) for enhanced debugging.

regards

Aj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have tried the cache deletion and I still have a black box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melvin,

Did you tried using the workaround suggested by Anup? We have a few instances where the workaround worked fine...Please try and let us know

regards

Aj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2016 Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah! That worked. Thank you...that was a very annoying thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines