Unable to open PDF report in acrobat reader

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SQL Server Reporting Services  2019  report exported to PDF  and able to open in all browsers, but unable to open acrobat reader. It’s working fine in SSRS 2016.

While open the PDF in acrobat reader getting this message “There was an error open this document .The file is damaged could not be repaired

TOPICS
General troubleshooting, PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No solution to this issue as of Feb 2021?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When no sample file is supplied such that we can analyze what's going on, it is impossible for anyone to determine whether the issue is a problematic PDF file or a problem in the software. If @Jay5C5A  would be willing to provide a sample, we could try to assist.

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attached a simple PDF generated by SSRS2019 that gives the above error and is able to be cleanly opened by both Chrome and Edge

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I can duplicate the problem but regrettably, it doesn't open enough to be able to run Acrobat's built-in diagnostic tools. It does open in both our mobile reader (iOS and Android) and the Adobe web viewer.

I'm sending this off to others in engineering to analyze.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, is the failure to open the PDF file in desktop Adobe Reader (i.e., Windows or MacOS) or on the mobile versions (iOS or Android)? I can successfully open this file on the Adobe Acrobat Mobile Reader for iOS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not open in Windows 10 Adboe Acrobat Reader DC  ver: 2020.013.20074

Most recent version for Windows 10 downloaded from Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. With some of my comrades here at Adobe we have found the problem.

In fact, the file you provided does not conform to the ISO PDF file specification which states:

The last line of the file shall contain only the end-of-file marker, %%EOF.

This particular file contained some JavaScript and HTML after the %%EOF. And that is strictly non-kosher and could be indicative of other corruption in the PDF file. A “fixed” copy of the file is attached!

The fact is that the other viewers (including Adobe's own mobile and web-based viewers seem to be lenient about this error and after opening the PDF file, search backwards to find the %%EOF characters. We will investigate further and see whether we can add some “leniency” to our desktop products (or at least provide better diagnostics).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines