• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3 pages are shown blank with an error "A number is out of range", good in Android and Chrome

Engaged ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be some issues (though strange for ISO/IEC doc) but even if there is it should show the page as it is shown in Chrome and Acrobat for android. The problem also occurs in Adobe reader. All latest 20.006.20042. Ah yes, Windows 1909, latest updates. Looks like fonts may be corrupted, I see the same issue on the forum... When I do Ctrl-D, fonts, it stops on 6% of all fonts...

<poster's URL removed by moderator due to illegal posting of copyrighted material> pages 22, 24 and 25.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Engaged , Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Can somebody triage this?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

As the chair of an ISO committee, I have real trouble believing that this is a PDF file coming directly from ISO. It actually looks like someone got a protected PDF file and tried to unprotect it by “refrying” it through some funky third party software.

Why do I say this? Look at the Document Properties

2020-04-05_12-45-57.png

Based on our knowledge of ISO's publishing process, the VeryDOC PS to PDF Converter is not software used by ISO for publication. The output is done via a process that ultimately exports

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can somebody triage this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the chair of an ISO committee, I have real trouble believing that this is a PDF file coming directly from ISO. It actually looks like someone got a protected PDF file and tried to unprotect it by “refrying” it through some funky third party software.

Why do I say this? Look at the Document Properties

2020-04-05_12-45-57.png

Based on our knowledge of ISO's publishing process, the VeryDOC PS to PDF Converter is not software used by ISO for publication. The output is done via a process that ultimately exports PDF from InDesign and has bookmarks.

Scrolling through the document, at page 34 I get the following:

2020-04-05_12-56-20.png

Running the Acrobat Pro Preflight profile Report PDF syntax issues I get the following results:

2020-04-05_13-01-04.png

This is clearly a very bogus PDF file with unknown operators and invalid operands. The problems are so bad that what should otherwise be a relatively simple PDF file, forces Preflight to run out of memory.

Also, running Preflight's List potential font problems profile yields:

2020-04-05_12-42-36.png

The fonts are Type 3 fonts - something you wouldn't normally find in PDF files from ISO and they certainly wouldn't be at 0.18pt.

Bottom line is that this is a very malformed PDF file that I am positive did not come directly from ISO, but rather via some attempt using some very bogus tools to remove document security via “refry” mechanisms.

Sorry, but this file cannot be fixed!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it was created with LATEX. As you can see in C++ ISO/IEC doc, that is open source. https://github.com/cplusplus/draft/tree/master/source

What then was used to add ISO/IEC 1 page I dunno.

"wouldn't be at 0.18pt" Well, it is not normal font, I suppose, but something from LATEX. And it has very strange fonts.

Anyway, the file works normal in Chrome and everywhere else except Adobe app. That is strange. Also that glyph that is empty can be from LATEX, I think a common problem as LATEX uses many such things to alligh text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The URL you pointed us to doesn't contain this particular PDF file. Furthermore as can be seen from the information on the bottom of the second page of the PDF file you originally pointed me to (a specification for 'C' and not 'C++'), the ISO specification is not "open source" anything at all:

2020-04-05_21-59-04.png

As such, I am editing out the URL you posted initially since it is an illegal posting of an ISO specification. However, assuming no ill intent on your part, I am not reporting this to the ISO copyright office.

In terms of the PDF file itself, we stand by our analysis of this being a malformed PDF file, not due to the sillinesses in terms of the font point sizes (they are perfectly kosher), but rather the unknown operators and invalid operands. Those could be very dangerous

The fact that this file opens in Chrome and possibly some other viewers is irrelevant here. Acrobat does issue diagnostics for very serious problems that other viewers might ignore. Some such problems could conceivably compromise your system's security and/or might be signs of malware. We'd “rather be safe than sorry.”

Speaking of ISO standards, PDF is an ISO standard, ISO 32000-2. This alleged final copy of ISO/IEC 9899:2018 Information technology — Programming languages — C (note, not C++) absolutely does not conform to the current or any other previous ISO standard for PDF. Sorry!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines