• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader will not open pdf

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I got an application for a job but I needed adobe acrobat to open up the PDF. I downloaded it on the computer but still couldnt open up the file. Then I downloaded the app on my iPad because I thought it was a computer issue (computer is very old). However the PDF still will not open and I've tried just about everything. Please help because I already got the job and this is my final step in completion before I could begin working.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to , PDF and browsers , PDF forms , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be the PDF is damaged or it's not a PDF. The latter you can check on your PC. 

Open the Windows Editor. Then drag the PDF in question into the Editor window. You should see the source code of the file.

A PDF would start with a string like %PDF-1.x. 

radzmar_0-1600931380245.png

If you find something else such as %PNG you file got the wrong file extension assigned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dakota,

We are sorry to hear that you are unable to open the PDF form with Acrobat Reader DC application.

++ Adding to the discussion

Do you get any error message when you try to open the form? If yes please share the screenshot of the same for a better understanding. Also, please share the PDF form so we can check it at our end for testing.

What is the version of the Acrobat Reader DC you are using? To check the version of the application, please go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the latest version 20.12.20043 installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates.

If you are on Windows machine, please try to turn off the protected mode for testing and see if that helps. Go to Edit > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Uncheck 'Enable protected mode at startup' , turn off the protected mode and uncheck the enhanced security > Click OK and reboot the computer.
Note: Turning off the protected mode may possess security risks, please turn on the security after testing.

If it still doesn't work,  for testing purposes, please try to open the PDF form a different web browser (Chrome) and see if that works for you.

Keep us posted with the results

Regards

Amal 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm not sure if the pdf file is damaged because I was unable to access it at all. I tried downloading the pdf on my computer but it only just came up as an icon with the files as opposed to just a link. Even so, if the file icon WAS the actual link, I still wouldn't know what program to use to open up the link. I saw an "edit pdf" "create pdf" "export pdf" but never an "open pdf". However, when I was still experimenting to see how to open the pdf I did get a message at one point that said "the pdf may be damaged" but I still wouldn't know if it were because I couldn't get it to open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only one app you should be using, that is, Acrobat Reader. Don't try to use Double Click to open a document, when there are problems like this.

1. Start Acrobat Reader.

2. Select Open from the File menu.

3. Choose the file you downloaded.

That's the only thing you should be doing. If you get an error doing that, please tell is the full text of the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still don't know how to download the file though. I figure it should be easier on my iPad than the computer, like I said earlier my computer is very old and doesn't run well. Whenever I try to open the link another link comes up, I attached a picture with the message it displays. How do I download the link as a file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I still don't know how to download the file though." Then that's the next thing to solve.

"I figure it should be easier on my iPad" Absolutely not! iPad is easy for many things but also has many limits. There are many fancy things in PDF you won't be able to use.

If you get that message (from your first post when you click on the link), don't click on the link. Instead right click on the link (or use Ctrl+click) and choose Download linked file. This might or might not work, depends what it downloads.  Otherwise you need to follow the instructions on the message. DON'T switch to iPad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So... basically it was my fault. My boss had to fill it out! I was stressing over nothing. It couldn't be authorized from my computer because I didn't have access to it. Silly me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines