• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy paste from pdf without the formatting

Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2010 Sep 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never understood how to copy and paste from pdf to word without getting the line return characters which mess up the formatting. Why doesn't text flow from line to line as it does in a normal word processor? Why does adobe insist on copying the newline character when you paste from pdf to another application?

This must be the dumbest feature in the world.

If there's a way to copy and paste from a pdf in plain text, without line breaks, please please tell me how. Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

You can use find replace in Word to remove the line breaks and replace them by a space.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mar 29, 2011 Mar 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know a way to do it right out of Adobe, but you can use this tool to do what you're asking:  http://www.textfixer.com/tools/remove-line-breaks.php.  I routinely have to copy and paste pdf material for the web for a non-profit I work for, and I use that tool every time because it works so well.  Plus it's free.  If you find out how to do it without using a third-party tool let me know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2013 Dec 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my new hero.  This worked like a charm.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or you can run this application in the background, you can also exit if you want. It's amazing, I never had any safety issues.

Fix Copy-and-Pasting in PDFs - Blog - One Hour Programming - Programming for the Rest of Us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

u are the real champ...really i mean it..thanks a lot for this background app....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you brother, that is an excellent solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it still works in 2022 on windows 10, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you have eternal happiness!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG - this is amazing - thank you thank you. they NEED to build this into InDesign!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its an old question but I found another way. in Adobe Acrobat you can go to

File/Save as/ Word or Excel Online

At least it filters out the breaks and you can smoothly copy past. Manual line breaks cannot be filtered out but it saves a lot of  time. Especially if you have to copy to html. When you copy the text out it keeps even the ul and li tags so it is ready to go online wihtout extra making bullet point afterwords.

Textfixer is also ok but then you have to make bullet point manually. If you copy text out of a pdf with bulletpoints its not well formated for import into html and you have to make the bulltet points afterwords again. So try first my first descriped method with exporting to Word.

We first lost a lot of time with the Textfixer Method. However, make it better

Keep up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gimmilow  wrote

Its an old question but I found another way. in Adobe Acrobat you can go to

File/Save as/ Word or Excel Online

That requires a subscription to the PDFPack...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great solution brother!!! Works for me. Lots of blogs that come from PDF and I have been backspacing and deleting line breaks forever. Thank you thank you!

A jack-of-all-trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's an easier way -

Right click on the selected text in acrobat, select copy with formatting. When you paste into word, it will paste the text without all the annoying paragraph breaks in every line.

I'm not sure if this also works in Adobe Reader or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is genius. Much more elegant than find and replacing. Now I simply copy with formatting, then paste without formatting in my target app, and it works like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ten years later & it's still stupid. I know there are workarounds, but... really?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paste the text into a plain-text editor and use search & replace to remove line-breaks.

When you copy text it copies what is there. If there's a line-break, it will copy that, too. The issue is with applications that add line-breaks when creating PDF files in the first place, which is not necessary (and doesn't do anything, anyway).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround that I discovered is to open the PDF using a web-browser - Chromium or Edge work for me - and then copy the text and paste it into Word. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually use TextSoap, but even then it can be painful, especially if it's a very long docuemnt.

Here is a little longer way around it. I just did it now with a 100 page document that I have to typeset. The client only had a PDF version of it and no open files 👹

1. Open original PDF. First check to see if it is a "Tagged" PDF.
  2. Go Control D or Command D, look at Description Tab, look at "Tagged PDF" at bottom left. It will be yes or no, and worth noting.
  3. Next. If it has headers, footers or page numbers, you need to get rid of these.
  4. Use Crop tool in Acrobat to crop all pages to same size, removing unnecessary details.
  5. File > Save as > More Options > Post Script > close the PDF.
  6. Click on the new Post Script file and should automatically open in Acrobat Distiller, which will automatically after a few seconds, re-save the Post Script as a new PDF. Once that's complete, close Distiller.
  7. Open new PDF file and give it a new name so you don't confuse it with any others.
  8. Now if your original PDF was not a "Tagged PDF", then you need to Tag it now. If it was Tagged, then ignore this Number 9, and go straight to number 10.
  9. Go Tools > Accessibility > AutoTag Document. Just ignore any Tagging reports that may show up in the left-hand pane.
  10. Save under name if you wish. The important thing is this file MUST be closed and re-opened again after Tags are inserted.
  11. Now comes the best bit. Select all text (Control A / Command A), and Paste into your InDesign file, flowing all text as it comes in. Use InDesign's Autoflow to add pages automatically to the end of the Story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone mentioned this application in a subthread back in 2015. I don't know much about security but I took the risk and downloaded it. When you start it, it doesn't seem to be doing anything but then you copy and paste from pdf into any other program and it does all the job for you, as though this issue has never even existed! http://www.onehourprogramming.com/blog/2010/9/1/fix-copy-and-pasting-in-pdfs.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello from the future (i.e., 13 years later)...

Now we eveloved that we can ask ChatGPT "remove extra line breaks from the following text" -> PASTE text from adobe PDF.

Well... Thanks Adobe for managing to ignore the issue this long. I wonder how many years later this issue will presist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe can't be blamed for this. When there is a line break in the text, “copy” needs to take it, as that is what has been asked for.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can pretty easily set up a macro in word to sort it out somewhat easily, especially if its just a few lines. It will save you a lot of time if you are doing it often - and you can also use the line break remover linked above if you feel like it for longer sections.

1. Paste the text from PDF into your word document and place your cursor anywhere on the last line of the copied text
  2. go to the developer tab in word (you may need to enable this in ribbon settings).
  3. Click on record macro and assign a key kombo (I use ctrl+ . )
  4. press control and left arrow (command on mac) (this gets your cursor to the beginning of the row), then press backspace. 
  5. Stop the macro
  6. now every time you paste a block of text from pdf into your word document, all you need to do to remove the line breaks is put your typing cursor on the last line and repeatedly use your macro to remove all line breaks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can use find replace in Word to remove the line breaks and replace them by a space.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines