Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital Signature

Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a certificate that my company provided to me, to sign documents. Reader DC accepts the certificate, but does not allow me to use it to sign the documents.

I can't seem to find the reason.

I have created a digital signature using the tools that comes with the Reader DC and I am able to sign documents with that signature. But not with the certificate.

Can anyone guide me through the steps to verify that certificate is the problem. And what might be the problems with the certificate.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Hello,

this certificate has an Extended Key usage that is intended for Authentication rather than for Content commitment (which is essentially the definition of a digital signature applied to a document).

Acrobat enforces Extended Key Usage extension according to RFC 5280 since version 11.0.9, see A: Changes Across Releases — Digital Signatures Guide for IT

This means that if the EKU extension is present in the certificate then Acrobat enforces its expected use.

Only certificates with EKU equivalen

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mmerol  wrote

I have a certificate that my company provided to me, to sign documents. Reader DC accepts the certificate, but does not allow me to use it to sign the documents.

What happens when you try it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled.png

I can use the ID "LAPTOP-M/M to use for signing, but not the "Mehmet Murat EROL" ID

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the ID file on the left and change the "Usage Options".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the problem.

I don't have the "Use for Signing" under "Usage Options" drop menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can you see at "Certificate Details"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why you can't use it for signing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying Bernd.

I have also added certificate of my company to trusted certificates, but the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Details tab in the Certificate viewer.  Does the "Key Usage" look anything like the screenshot below?  Does it say "Digital Signature" for one of the usage items?

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 1.15.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says "Digital Signature", but there is an exclamation mark on the logo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

this certificate has an Extended Key usage that is intended for Authentication rather than for Content commitment (which is essentially the definition of a digital signature applied to a document).

Acrobat enforces Extended Key Usage extension according to RFC 5280 since version 11.0.9, see A: Changes Across Releases — Digital Signatures Guide for IT

This means that if the EKU extension is present in the certificate then Acrobat enforces its expected use.

Only certificates with EKU equivalent to the following list can be used for creating a digital signature.

• emailProtection
  • codeSigning
  • anyExtendedKeyUsage
  • 1.2.840.113583.1.1.5 (Adobe Authentic Documents Trust)

I would recommend your IT department or PKI team to have a look at the web page linked above to consider providing you a more suitable certificate for signing.

Regards

Andrea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer Andrea, I will talk with my IT department.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Andrea Valle , thanks for the detailed answer! It really helped me to understand what's happening.

But it's a pity, that the user interface is still so misleading, that I only was able to understand the issue after finding this your post. I've just posted this improvement suggestion, could you please take a look at it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines