• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable online services/features in Acrobat Reader DC?

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the new update being released from Reader to Acrobat Reader DC, I have concerns with the use of cloud storage and storing sensitive data.

I have looked around and the only information I have found for disabling these new features are in reference to groups who use the Acrobat Customization Wizard DC, which means they would be running an Enterprise version.

I have installed and tested the new Acrobat Reader DC on both Windows and OS X, there are no obvious options for disabling the services that I am referring to.

Services I am referencing:

• Adobe cloud storage service
  • Sending and tracking documents
  • Syncing across multiple devices (by use of cloud storage)

Is there a way to disable the use of these services on an individual (non Enterprise) install of Acrobat Reader DC?

Thanks in advanced!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

You can use the Adobe Customization Wizard DC on both Reader DC (Classic or Perpetual) versions.

Adobe Customization Wizard

You can also use the Windows Registry to turn these services OFF.

Services integration‌

Workflows (Services integration)

These preferences enable integration with Document Cloud services.

This preference category contains the following subfeature(s):

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Adobe Customization Wizard DC on both Reader DC (Classic or Perpetual) versions.

Adobe Customization Wizard

You can also use the Windows Registry to turn these services OFF.

Services integration‌

Workflows (Services integration)

These preferences enable integration with Document Cloud services.

This preference category contains the following subfeature(s):

Services integration (DC)

These settings for DC products replace those used by 11.x and earlier. By default, Adobe online services are tightly integrated with the user interface so that users can leverage them in enterprise workflows. Adobe's services are rapidly evolving and allow your organization to increase its efficiency with zero infrastructure and management costs.

Summary table
bAdobeSendPluginToggleToggles the Adobe Send and Track plugin for Outlook
bToggleAdobeDocumentServicesDisables all service access except those features controlled by the other preferences.
bToggleAdobeSignDisables Adobe Send for Signature (formerly EchoSign).
bTogglePrefSyncDisables preferences synchronization.
bToggleWebConnectorsDisables 3rd party connectors.
bUpdaterDisables both updates to the product's web-plugin components as well as all services.
bUpdater
Supported on WindowsSupported on MacSupported by AcrobatSupported by Adobe ReaderTop > Workflows > Services integration (DC) > bUpdater
Data typeboolean: DWORD value > REG_DWORD
Version #DC
HKLM PathHKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\(product name)\(version)\FeatureLockdown\cServices
SummaryDisables both updates to the product's web-plugin components as well as all services.
DetailsThis new preference replaces the now deprecated HKCU services master switch bEnableAcrobatHS. It disables both updates to the product's web-plugin components as well as all services without exception, including any sign-in screen. The setting is not the same as bUpdaterwhich resides directly under FeatureLockdown and disables product updates. Possible values include:
  • 0: Disable services and service component updates.
  • 1: Enable services.
bToggleAdobeDocumentServices
Supported on WindowsSupported on MacSupported by AcrobatSupported by Adobe ReaderTop > Workflows > Services integration (DC) > bToggleAdobeDocumentServices
Defaultnull
Version #DC
HKLM PathHKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\(product name)\(version)\FeatureLockdown\cServices
SummaryDisables all service access except those features controlled by the other preferences.
DetailsThis setting does not affect Adobe Send for Signature, preference synchronization, or third party connectors. Possible values include:
  • 0: Enable Document Cloud services.
  • 1: Disable Document Cloud services.
bToggleAdobeSign
Supported on WindowsSupported on MacSupported by AcrobatSupported by Adobe ReaderTop > Workflows > Services integration (DC) > bToggleAdobeSign
Defaultnull
Version #DC
SummaryDisables Adobe Send for Signature (formerly EchoSign).
DetailsPossible values include:
  • 0: Enable Adobe Send for Signature.
  • 1: Disable Adobe Send for Signature.
bTogglePrefSync
Supported on WindowsSupported on MacSupported by AcrobatSupported by Adobe ReaderTop > Workflows > Services integration (DC) > bTogglePrefSync
Defaultnull
Version #DC
SummaryDisables preferences synchronization.
DetailsThis preference disables and locks a new feature which synchronizes desktop preferences across devices on which the user is signed in with an Adobe ID (including phones). Possible values include:
  • 0: Ensable preferences synchronization.
  • 1: Disable preferences synchronization.
bToggleWebConnectors
Supported on WindowsSupported on MacSupported by AcrobatSupported by Adobe ReaderTop > Workflows > Services integration (DC) > bToggleWebConnectors
Defaultnull
Version #DC
SummaryDisables 3rd party connectors.
DetailsAllows configuring in-product access to third party servicesfor file storage. Possible values include:
  • 0: Enable 3rd party connectors.
  • 1: Disable 3rd party connectors.
bAdobeSendPluginToggle
Supported on WindowsSupported on MacSupported by AcrobatSupported by Adobe ReaderTop > Workflows > Services integration (DC) > bAdobeSendPluginToggle
Default1
Version #DC
HKCU PathWorkflows
HKLM PathHKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\(product name)\(version)\FeatureLockdown\cCloud
SummaryToggles the Adobe Send and Track plugin for Outlook
DetailsWhen enabled, an Adobe Send and Trackbutton appears in Outlook when composing an email. It enables sending large files as public links through Outlook. The attached files are uploaded to Adobe Document Cloud and public links to the files are inserted in the email body. Recipients can click the link to preview the file in a browser window and can download the file if needed. Possible values include:
  • 0: Disable Adobe Send and Track.
  • 1: Enable Adobe Send and Track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2015 May 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve, this is very helpful...

Do all these work for Acrobat DC Pro/Standard (individual licenses) as well?

Also, is there an equivalent for Mac OS?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is should be available via PLIST.  This link explains the translation:  Preference Reference for Acrobat and Adobe Reader

This has the naming convention and location:  Macintosh Deployments — Enterprise Administration Guide

Disabling updateshttp://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/mac.html?highlight=plist#disabling-upda...

Disabling the Updaterhttp://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/mac.html?highlight=plist#disabling-the-...

With version 10.1.1 and later, it is possible for IT to disable and lock the Updater settings so that updates won’t happen and users can’t change the setting.

1. Navigate to <machine root>/Library/Preferences.
  2. Create a new file called com.adobe.(Acrobat.Pro | Reader).plist This file does not exist by default.
  3. Open the plist with an editor.
  4. Set the version value in the key. For 11.x, this is 11. For DC, this is either DC for the Continuous track or DC for the Classic track.
  5. Add the entries shown below.
  6. Save and close the plist.

Locking and disabling the Updater

<dict> <key>11</key> <dict> <key>FeatureLockdown</key> <dict> <key>bUpdater</key> <false/> </dict> </dict> </dict> 

Set the update mode (DC)http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/mac.html?highlight=plist#set-the-update...

The update mode is set on a per user basis as follows:

1. Open /Library/Application Support/Adobe/ARMDC/Registered Products/com.adobe.<product name>.<track name>.plist
  2. Set UpdateMode:
    • 0: Don’t check for updates.
    • 3: Automatically download and install updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old, but can't get a response on my thread.

How can i disable the "Add Account" option from the UI? I don't see anything in the customization wizard to do so.
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally to the items above,  you will need to disable the SharePoint Office 365 feature.  Then the "Add Account" item will be gone from the application UI.

Services integration

Services (SharePoint-Office365)

These preferences configure SharePoint and Office365 integration. Macintosh support begins with 11.0.

Summary table
bDisableSharePointFeaturesDisables the SharePoint and Office 365 integration features.
bDisableSharePointFeatures

Supported on WindowsSupported on MacSupported by AcrobatSupported by Adobe Reader

Defaultnull
Version #10.1+
HKLM PathHKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\(product name)\(version)\FeatureLockdown\cSharePoint
SummaryDisables the SharePoint and Office 365 integration features.
DetailsControls the application's ability to detect that a file came from a Sharepoint server, disables the check-out prompt, and removes the SharePoint specific menu items. Possible values include:
  • 0: Same as "null." Don't disable SharePoint and Office 365 integration.
  • 1: Disable SharePoint and Office 365 integration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not working for me, probably due to me not understanding and adding the correct registry entry.

Here is my setup:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown\
From here should cSharePoint be a new Key and within that cSharePoint key create a DWORD (32-bit) Value or DWORD (32-bit) Value labeled cSharePoint at the FeatureLockdown node?

Capture.JPG

or

Capture1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Continuous

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\FeatureLockDown\cSharePoint]

"bDisableSharePointFeatures"=dword:00000001

Classic

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\2015\FeatureLockDown\cSharePoint]

"bDisableSharePointFeatures"=dword:00000001

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not seem to work for me on Mac OS X. I've been reading the official documentation and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I created a file called com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro.plist in <System Disk>/Library/Preferences/ and I added the information in the screenshot below. Every time I launch Acrobat Pro, it still has all the cloud features and the updaters available. How can I remove all the services?

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 4.44.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

'bUpdater' must be set to false to tune out services and needs to placed at /Library/Preferences

Also make sure your Reader is closed before doing so.

After making the changes in plist,

Run the Command

" defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro.plist " on terminal .

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Poorvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poorvi,

I created this com.adobe.acrobat plist in Xcode.  Boolean options there are yes and no, not true or false.  Does that matter?  bUpdater is set to no and i still get access to Add Account on Acrobat DC 2017.  Do i need to use another text editor.  Must it be "false"?

Thanks,

Sheldon

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 12.25.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should look something like this:Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 2.09.26 PM.png

I use Apple's XCode to create PLIST files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve.  Last question: where do you get a list of the subheaders under Feature Lockdown i.e. cServices and cGeneral?  I have other things i want to lockdown thru FeatureLockdown plist.  Also, how do you know which ones require a subheader and which do not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look in the Preference Reference in the ETK and follow the path that is documented.

Here is an example:

bToggleAdobeDocumentServices

Supported on WindowsSupported on MacSupported by AcrobatSupported by Adobe Reader

Defaultnull
Version #DC
SummaryDisables all service access except those features controlled by the other preferences.
DetailsThis setting does not affect Adobe Send for Signature, preference synchronization, or third party connectors. For the base release, it also did not disable Send and Track; however, it does control Send and Track with the July, 2015 release. To disable all services, use bUpdater . Possible values include:
  • 0: Enable Document Cloud services.
  • 1: Disable Document Cloud services.

The path given is "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\(product name)\(version)\FeatureLockdown\cServices"

Note that after "FeatureLockdown" subheader the next item in the path is "cServices"

This is how you decipher if there is another subheader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

Thanks for that information.  I am seeing something interesting here and was wondering if you could explain.  I have bToggleAdobeDocumentServices in the FeatureLockdown plist and i have bUpdater as well.  I would like to stop access to box, DropBox and Onedrive but keep Sharepoint.  My settings are below.  What i'm getting is Box, DropBox and Sharepoint restricted and One Drive accessible.  How can i get what i want?

Thanks in advance.Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 10.37.07 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, this setting doesn't have that type of granularity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send me a link or an email considering the organization of the fantastic details I found ever so useful. What's this page?!!  Awesome!  Send me a link.[email address removed by Mod. Please use the PM system]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2015 Nov 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't Adobe see how perfectly ridiculous all these suggestions are?  Why do we have this problem at all?  Given the pain in the butt caused by this Adobe Acrobat Synchronizer "service" there should be some simple single way of disabling this service when it is not at all wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines