• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I enable comments in Acrobat Reader DC?

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Acrobat's online help says to do this:

• Open the PDF and choose File > Save As Other > Reader Extended PDF > Enable Commenting and Measuring.

But I am not getting any such option under Save As Other. Very frustrating. There are two options - Save As Other/Text, or Save As Other/Word or Excel Online - neither of which are any use as far as I can tell.

Can anybody help me locate this? Better still, is there a way to set Acrobat Reader up so all pdfs have comments enabled automatically?

Thanks so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Adobe Acrobat for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernd!

Thanks for getting back to me. Adobe Acrobat is not free though, is it? On Adobe's website it specifically says that Reader DC can be used for commenting on pdfs. Is it not possible, then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, with Acrobat Reader DC you can add comments to unprotected PDF documents. Try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The person I've sent the pdf to can't comment - how do I know if the pdf is 'protected' or not? I can comment on it fine, but that's no use to me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌May be that the person doesn't use Acrobat Reader DC.

If the document is protected you will see "(secured)" in the window title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Adobe Acrobat for this.

Hi all,

is this still the only way to go? It seems that in the meantime, you can comment using Adobe Reader without having to enable this using Acrobat.

Even online PDF collaboration via Cloud seems to be possible using only Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader DC can add comments by default. You don't need to do anything special to the file in Acrobat to enable it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reader extension is not required for Acrobat Reader DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK thank you.

What I am trying to do is a carrying out a shared review of a PDF file by a distributed team.

The "Preparing for a PDF review" guide also states that this requires Acrobat Pro.

However, I have just managed to upload a PDF to the Adobe Document Cloud only using the current version of Acrobat Reader (version 2020.009.20074), and to invite third parties via e-mail to comment online, who can then also insert or reply to comments and send them back (I have sent myself invitations under several different e-mail addresses):

9ajuMgt

The comments of all remote participants then instantly show up in my shared PDF in Adobe Reader.  

This also seems to go in line with the help page here: 

###########################

Share and track PDFs online

Open a PDF in Acrobat DC or Acrobat Reader DC. The sharing tools are displayed in the top-right corner of the tool bar.

You can share a PDF file using any one of the following methods:

• Share an anonymous or public link to the file
  • Share the document as an email attachment
  • Send personalized invitations for viewing or commenting

###########################

So my question is, what is the point of that linked statement that sending out a "managed review" requires Acrobat Pro -- if it seems to work already with Reader? Or what additional features would be enabled if Acrobat Pro were used?

Thanks for clarifications on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Acrobat is the only way out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines