Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do I convert .txt to .pdf and keep the formatting

Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large .txt file that I would like to convert to .pdf.  I have tried to print the file and choose Adobe PDF but the output is just a mess.  I loose all the formatting and get blank pages every so often.  Does anyone know if is possible to convert .txt to .pdf and keep the formatting.  I would try a virtual printer application but I am not able to just install any application on my office computer.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What application are you opening the .txt file in to create the PDF? Most basic text editors (Notepad and Textedit for two) don't recognize page size or breaks so you won't be able to pre-format the file. You would need to bring it in to something like MS Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am opening the txt in notepad.  i tried opening in word but when I do that its even more of a mess then when I convert from txt to pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, you will probably need to reformat it in Word to get a good PDF out of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2013 Feb 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be a bit late for you now but in future (and for anyone else interested) I would recommend copying the text into a word document and changing the text font to Consolas. Adjust the size to fit the page again and it should match the original notepad formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get exact results by copying all the text into a Word documents and changing the font to Consolas 8 pt. I also needed to use landscape page setup and modify the paragraph setting so that no spaces were added between paragraphs of like style. Voila.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me too. Yeah, this tip should to be as the right answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody pin this as the asnwer. It worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you can't convert a .txt file keep the full formatting. However it is possible to convert with partial formatting, I have found this cool trick to convert a notepad txt file to pdf file. >> How to Convert Notepad txt to PDF file without software and online site for free . To keep all the formatting as it is you need to use word to pdf conversion >> How to Convert MS Word to PDF Files free without software & online converter sites

[Blog promotions removed. There is a way to do this with Adobe products]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you want to try with [software advertisement removed. Adobe sells a product that does this] converter, and share your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Simply use the Print (Ctrl + F) function in Notepad and then Microsoft Print to PDF. That way the formatting stays the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines