• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I stop pdf from saving to desktop using chrome?

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer always wants to save pdfs to downloads before opening it. How can I stop that? Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Open Chrome, Go to Settings>Advanced>Privacy and security>Content settings>PDF Documents. Turn off "Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome".

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome doesn't use Adobe Reader to open pdf files. It has it's own pdf viewer. Perhaps you may want to ask in a Chrome support forum?

What I can tell you is, you probably want to download them first. Chrome sucks at opening pdf files. In the case of pdf forms, it may not even work at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downloaded Acrobat Reader DC and I'm mostly using it to print postage.  I do not need to save these .pdf's, but it prompts to save them on my computer as an "artifact".  I have to go through and delete all of these artifacts later.  How do I stop Reader from saving every .pdf I open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not Reader, it's the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Chrome, Go to Settings>Advanced>Privacy and security>Content settings>PDF Documents. Turn off "Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect!  That solved the problem.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this answer! It worked perfectly for me, and I am using Firefox most of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mine is already set to this and it is still auto-saving every single .pdf.  This is so frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines