• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you delete recent file history on adobe reader?

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2011 Aug 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to clear recent file history  on adobe reader

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 03, 2015 Sep 03, 2015

Howdy!

This is a great topic, and has partially answered many of my own questions.

I'll add an answer that directly answers the topic:

There's a Clear Recent Files button in the newest Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

ClearRecentFilesButton.jpg

I guess Adobe has listened to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a shame that Adobe does not have any options to clear the recent files listing.

But I did come up with this workable solution.

I wrote the following registry file, and you just double-click this "reg" file to clear all "Recent File" listings.

Close the Adobe program before double-clicking the "reg" file.

Now when you open your program the "Recent File" listings will be all clear.

For Acrobat and Acrobat Pro:

In Notepad, copy and paste the following 2 lines between the dashed lines, then save it as "Adobe Acrobat Clear Recent.reg"

Include the quotes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\10.0\AVGeneral\cRecentFiles]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Adobe Reader:

In Notepad, copy and paste the following 2 lines between the dashed lines, then save it as "Adobe Reader Clear Recent.reg"

Include the quotes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\AVGeneral\cRecentFiles]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck and enjoy!

John from Colorado

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you want to "clear" as opposed to "delete" the recent files? It's the old ones that have got to go! Help me get rid of them forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader can't delete files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CCleaner can do that for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you can do is remove your access rights the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\10.0\AVGeneral\cRecentFiles" key in the registry.

Not actually cleaning out the last opened list, more like stopping the list getting created in the first place.

1. Open regedit
  2. Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\10.0\AVGeneral\cRecentFiles"
  3. Delete any subkeys you find there to clear out old history
  4. In the left pane, right click on "cRecentFiles" & select "Permissions"
  5. Click "Advanced"
  6. Untick "Include inheritable permissions ..." & click "Add" when the dialog is displayed
  7. Select the entry corresponding to your user name on the list & click "Remove"
  8. Click "OK" twice & you are good to go

Really dont understand why Adobe dont provide an option to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2015 Jun 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. Using the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\10.0\AVGeneral\cRecentFiles" and uncheck the "

1. Untick "Include inheritable permissions ..." & click "Add" when the dialog is displayed"

This works like a charm. Thank you again for this easy trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2014 Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a way to remove the list of Recent Documents: After opening an Adobe .pdf document, click on Edit at the top of the screen, then click on Preferences at the bottom, then at the top choose Documents.  On the right side of the screen, it will say "Documents in recently used list" with a number in the box. Change that number to one (1), because it won't allow you to put zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow thanks so easy and so hard to find!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader DC can actually clear the Recent files list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How? I don't need to look at all this trash! LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Read the replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this information.  It was much easier than the rest of the info posted.  And it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked so well, now it doesn't display any recent files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Acrobat Mac Yosemite. Contrary to an above statement, I can set the recent docs pref to zero. Perhaps it's different on Windows.

I clear recent.

Set pref to '0'.

Close and reopen app.

I then opened a doc I'd been recently working on which was not appearing in 'recent', made a change, saved, set pref to '1', closed and re-opened app, and that doc now appears. But I don't know if the whole mess will reappear if I should now set 'recent' to 10,  50, whatever. [Edit: I have reset 'recent' to 40, and they are not reappearing, only three test-docs opened after the fix.] Hopefully Adobe has recently fixed the bug.

Adobe, we don't all want a lot of old files appearing in perpetuity, and the most recent not. That just doesn't make sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much...your process worked wondered..............

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2015 Sep 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy!

This is a great topic, and has partially answered many of my own questions.

I'll add an answer that directly answers the topic:

There's a Clear Recent Files button in the newest Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

ClearRecentFilesButton.jpg

I guess Adobe has listened to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the OLD ones I want to dump. I get clear Recent Files. Where do they go? Trash? Delete forever? It's the words Clear vs Delete that confuse. If they're cleared, are they gone? Or lurking someplace else adding to storage creep? Cannot drag to trash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recent documents is a list. Emptying the list doesn't delete files.

However, if you are disorganised and don't know where your files are you may never find them again, and they will keep using space. You NEED to know where your files are, for every app, not just hit save and assume it's somewhere ok. We can help you find out if you wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would appreciate that help. Glitch is my whole life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled.png

Newest version:

Open program

Click "Edit" at the top left

Click "Documents" on the left of the pop-up

Under "Open Settings" section, highlight the 100 in the "Documents in recently used list"

The default setting is 100, change to 0 (or whatever number you prefer)

Click "OK" at the bottom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump this answer up to the top! It's the most current and works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no 'Documents' button under Edit, nor any preferences. The Preferences tab under Adobe Reader has so many options. Maybe there is a 'delete recent' in there but it sure isn't obvious. Adobe, you have a check box on the Recent page that selects all the files. What is it for? Why isn't there a delete funcion for each file and a 'delete all' above the check box? Come on folks, this is old school. Please don't keep our documents so you can tell advertisers we have a certain profile. Don'e automatically bump all docs to the cloud.

Please fix this soon and let us all know when it happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines