Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to save file in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

New Here ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

when I press Ctrl-S or click File>Save, the new Adobe Acrobat Reader DC opens the Save As dialog and asks for the file location. Why is that? How do I just save the file to its location without having to specify it?

Tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tomášj9120014,

I can understand your concern & will guide you through this.

In Adobe Acrobat DC/Reader DC while saving a file you need to specify the location where you want to save it.

It also saves the path of the folder where you recently saved file, so you can directly choose that path instead of specifying the path again.

Save As11.jpg

Regards,

Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you replay. What I still miss is the common functionality of saving the file to its current location. I understand that the path will be added to the list of favorites paths but the Reader still requires me to choose one which is not necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Zotero to manage documents.  I can't always find the zotero files buried deep within a roaming file on my C drive, and the file names are often a string of numbers and letters that only mean something to the program (something like n5fd76sdaiuhf87as).  Is there an update yet that will allow Reader DC to save to its current location without navigating through the Save As features? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 09, 2015 Aug 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree with Tomas. I fail to understand why every time I save a file, I need to waste time by selecting its current folder. If I wanted to "Save As...", I would select the option in the File menu, since it is still there. However, the "Save" option is greyed out. Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2015 Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to lend my voice to this and have some thoughts. It's ludicrous that I have to select a path each time I want to save the same file. I think the only reason this happens is so that Adobe can tout their save to the cloud feature. I've also noticed that the list of folders that is presented places the most recently accessed folder at the top - which would normally great, but when I open multiple PDFs, the folder placed at the top is not always the folder the PDF I want to save is located in - which creates new files in other folders.

To be honest, this is enough to make me want to find a new PDF viewer - Adobe! Please fix your save function!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Aadesh Singh,

Thank you for your informative reply. The reply from crodriguez.k2 was also useful.

Please see my posting dated May 25, 2016.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE: This behavior of Ctrl+S (File | Save) in a newly-opened PDF is a bug. Please fix it.

As FormerReaderUserMaybe said, there's a decades-long meaning attached to Ctrl+S and File | Save. Please respect it.

As for this "protected mode" thing, it has nothing whatsoever to do with saving a file back to its original location. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

It's truly astonishing that here, at the very end of 2018, and out-and-out bug reported more than three and a half years ago is still in the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try EDIT > PREFERENCES > GENERAL > uncheck "Show Online Storage When Saving Files".  Then CTRL+SHIFT+S as shortcut key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2015 Sep 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me, but I still think it's a sneaky way to force something on people. I ended up switching to another, more "foxy" viewer and have really been liking it so far. Thanks though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Keats87,  Thanks for the posting.  The suggested setting did not work for me, and like yourself, I ended up with a different PDF reader.  I XChanged DC for an older reader that makes saving the files a real snap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot, crodriguez_k2!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2015 Nov 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answered below by

Try EDIT > PREFERENCES > GENERAL > uncheck "Show Online Storage When Saving Files".  Then CTRL+SHIFT+S as shortcut key.

Many thanks crodriguez!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur with the common complaint. There is a two decade history where Ctrl-S = Save (same name, same location). When closing the program with a changed document your're asked if you want to Save it. Yes = Save (same name, same location).

I edited my preferences as suggested. It's better, but not right. You're still presented with a Save-As dialog. Sure, the correct folder is pre-selected, but that's an unnecessary step.

Yes, it may be time to choose a new PDF reader. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2016 May 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable the Protected Mode in Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bernd Alheit,

Disabling Protected Mode does solve this problem. I have disabled Protected Mode.

Read about: Protected View feature for PDFs (Windows).

An excerpt: "By default, Adobe Reader DC runs in protected mode to provide an added layer of security. In protected mode, malicious PDF documents can’t launch arbitrary executable files or write to system directories or the Windows Registry."

In contrast to the stated purpose of Protected Mode, saving my PDF document is not attempting to launch arbitrary executable files or write to system directories or the Windows Registry. I would like that protection, but I'd rather have Save work correctly.

There is a feature in the Security Settings to enable Privileged Locations, only it doesn't work. First I tried adding the root of my Documents folder. Then I tried adding a specific folder in which there are PDFs I mark up regularly. Even after restarting Reader, with Protected Mode enabled I was presented with a Save As dialog when trying to Save.

So, Adobe, I appreciate your attempt to enhance my system's security. I only wish you were better at it. For now, Protected Mode is off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just wanted to add my voice

If I press Ctrl+S the file should be saved.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Without going to a Save As in some recent folder, which have no relation

with the folder of the file!!!!

I use Zotero and I don't what wnat each time to check where the pdf should be saved.

And please also sacrifice the programmer or manager who introduced

this annoying behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 19, 2016 Sep 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The user named answered the question on 26.05.2016 at 10:06.  Having reviewed the thread through most responses, I came to the same conclusion & confirm it does the needful with regards to ^-S.

I too await the correct behavior of the "Privileged Locations" function.

Now if only some moderator can indicate this issue has been answered and give due credit to FRUM — perhaps adding a link for users to jump directly to FRUM's answer — so that no one else will have to comb this entire thread again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 23, 2016 Sep 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Adobe DC Pro today, and went to do some crucial work. Now, I can't find the saved files.  Once I find them, DC will be uninstalled forever.  No dialog as to where they were going.  Saved to "somewhere."  This is a BS way to manage your save functions.  Goodbye Adobe DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone please read FormerReaderUserMaybe's very helpful response. 

On the same Security menu (having clicked command K on the lefthand side) you may specify various default locations, at least I could using Mac. 

It is indeed a waste of time to have to individually specify where I want to save files I download from email. 

I agree that whoever programmed this should be taken to the woodshed.  Not having a proper "save" function is ridiculous. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines