• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

inserting degree symbol in commenting markup tools

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, am just starting a proofreading course so am navigating my way around Acrobat Reader DC for the first time. I am using the commenting tools in the pdf to correct text, but within that I can not find how to insert a degree symbol. I can find it on Word and have googled for results but some of the answers such as ALT + 0176 doesn't work in acrobat reader..help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

On an English language system Alt+0176 and Alt+248 are equivalent. Not Alt+0248.

Details: Alt+number without leading zero gives a number in code page 850 (Code page 850 - Wikipedia )

Alt+zero+number gives a number in code page 1252 (Windows-1252 - Wikipedia )

History and more choices: Alt code - Wikipedia

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try copy/paste from Word as your first step. Not all fonts have a degree sign but you can try it. Alt keystrokes should also work If the font is ok and you do it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said an alternative solution. It varies depending on the operating system people are using.

Degree Symbol on PC: Hold down the Alt key, and on the numeric keypad on the right of the keyboard, type 0176 or Alt+ 248

on Mac: Press Option Shift 8.

Copy and Paste: °

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On my dell latitude 5400 the keyboard shortcut is fn/alt MJ7O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Adobe Reader Pro DC because the tool 'EDIT PDF' is only for the Pro version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is actually no product called Adobe Reader Pro DC. It is Acrobat Pro DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! Sorry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies! Can copy and paste from Word but is time consuming. I've just discovered character map on my laptop from which I can get the symbol, still no joy with a keyboard shortcut but this is relatively quick so will do for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The keyboard shortcut Alt+0176 works fine for me on Windows. Things to bear in mind

1. Hold down ALT throughout the typing (do not release it between digits); the sign appears when you release the ALT key.

2. You must use the numeric keypad NOT the regular digits

3. Sometimes the Num Lock has to be on or off (not sure about this one)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. But Ive just discovered on Word its

Alt + 248. Still doesn't work on adobe but using the character map is ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

katen72  wrote

Thanks. But Ive just discovered on Word its Alt + 248. Still doesn't work on adobe but using the character map is ok.

Where did you see that a degree symbol is Alt + 0248? That's the code for Ø.

Check that you are using the Numeric keypad and that Numlock is on.

This is a screenshot from Word for Alt + 0248. (You have to add the leading zero.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back in the DOS days it was easy to find a list of these codes. One way to do it now is to go to Word  and choose Insert Symbol.

In the bottom right, choose ASCII Decimal and get the Character Code that will work in all Windows programs (plus DOS, of course).

• Enable Numlock.

• Press and hold Alt and on the Numeric keypad (in the case of your degree symbol ° , type Alt + 0176).

• If it doesn't work, confirm that you are on the Numeric keypad. The numbers on top of qwerty do not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On an English language system Alt+0176 and Alt+248 are equivalent. Not Alt+0248.

Details: Alt+number without leading zero gives a number in code page 850 (Code page 850 - Wikipedia )

Alt+zero+number gives a number in code page 1252 (Windows-1252 - Wikipedia )

History and more choices: Alt code - Wikipedia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay—good to know the 248 and 0248. (Not one I use, but good to know!)

And now that I'm sitting in the waiting room at the doctor's office, I see that I basically duplicated your earlier post, and I apologize, @Test_Screen_Name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better two posts than none! I do that all the time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, so many times I carefully craft a message and by the time I post, someone has done so just ahead of me. Or vice versa.

And once again Jive is not picking up names with spaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines