Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insufficient data for image

Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received an update to version 10.1.4.  My previous version was 10.1.23.  After the upgrade , I started to receive an error message insufficient data for image.  This is the first time this error appeared so it has to be related to the new version.   I unistalled this version and installed version 9, the problem went away.  Is anyone else having this issue or is there a fix for this issue? 

Thanks...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Hi all

Acrobat engineering would like to inform users facing this issue that the latest Reader XI release (available for download from http://get.adobe.com/reader) fixes this problem. Users are requested to download the latest version at the earliest to avoid encountering this error going forward. As mentioned earlier, the team is working actively towards fixing the problem in earlier versions (10.x and 9.x) as well and expects to deliver a solution by Q1 2013.

For more information, please see ou

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

That's really interesting.

What release do you have?

Can you try the test I described on 9/20 and not use trhe workaround of using the Optimizer (see 9/28)?

As far as I can tell, Adobe had not had their "Tylenol moment" on this and are doing all they can to avoid it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just followed the procedure you posted on 09/20, and I did not get any error.

This is with Acrobat XI on Windows 7.

I did not do the second part of the procedure (indexing), as it seems that Acrobat XI does not have that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

Excellent.

Thanks for that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2012 Oct 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an Embed Index Feature,

Click on the tools gizmo, go down to Document Processing, and there is Manage Embedded Index

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2013 May 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has not been resolved.  Please see my post in http://forums.adobe.com/message/4736019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2014 Mar 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that there has been alot of talk about this being resolved for Acrobat Reader 11 but we are currently using Acrobat Professional XI and I can confirm that this does not work for 11.0.2 or 11.0.6.

Can you please confirm which version of Acrobat Professional XI this issue is fixed in ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2014 Apr 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is easy to assume, but still wrong, that this message is always a bug, and that it has only one cause. In fact, it is designed to catch damaged or corrupted PDF files, and the vast majority of the time that's what it is telling you. There was one specific issue with JPEG2000 images, where there was a real bug and it reported good images as bad. This particular bug, the only known bug related to this error, has indeed been fixed.

If you are still getting it, your PDF may be bad. I have seen examples even of bad PDFs that some software managed to open, but Adobe software rejected; doesn't mean Adobe Reader is broken. But it could be. To actually decide would need to look at PDFs, so if you can share them (NOT in email and NOT on the forum site) it could be interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2014 Apr 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice cryptic reply, as we have maintaence I have also logged a call with Adobe to see what they have to say about it. In relation to the issue that we are seeing if you open the document in Acrobat and do a "save as other" > "Optimised PDF" change the compatibility to "Acrobat 5.0 and later" then the output from this is fine.

Its worth mentioning that the document is already Acrobat 5 standard.

Plus the file opens correctly in Acrobat Standard 8.1.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2014 Apr 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

benreay -- Would you be so kind as to post any resolution or work around that works for you?  Our company has just started randomly experiencing the "insufficient data" error issue this week and I am pulling my hair out trying to find a solution.  We're  using a variety of XI Pro, 9 Pro and Reader XI.  Some pdfs open fine -- others with "insufficient data" error and missing pages.  It's maddening!!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My advice remains - if you share them (NOT in email and NOT on the forum site) some people might want to examine them and might be able to diagnose the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Test Screen , my concern is that these documents open correctly in previous versions, its not until we moved to XI that we are having issues. I have confirmed that these documents will still open in vesion 8.1.3. I can see your point that there may appear to be something within the document that is triggering the issue but it would appear that this has been caused by the changes to there engine and is due to no fault of the actual document. By changing the document I can resolve this issue but we receive 100's if not 1000's of pdf's a week so it is not really viable to spend time modifing documents that have an issue, we need this resolved within the Adobe engine for version XI.

Adobe admitted that there were issue within the 9 and 10 engines and it would appear that they have accidently re introduced this issue into XI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2014 Aug 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We seem to be having the same issue using Adobe Acrobat Pro X  v10.1.10.18 and Adobe Reader XI 11.0.07. 

Does Adobe have a fix yet?  (I've tried re-sizing and re-saving, neither work.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reply still seems appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt I will be allowed to share stated files due to confidentiality. 

This is the first occurrence of this issue to our knowledge (according to first level support) so by in large the product is working.  We are encountering the issue when using the archive to email feature on a fax machine.  We've tested this and received multiple faxes in PDF format properly.  However some of the faxes come up with this error.  Is there any way of checking the file?  That is not grossly time consuming that is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need an expert to check the file. Acrobat is already checking it, and rejecting it, hence the message.

If you are making the files perhaps you can make one with test data.

If someone else is making the files you can ask them about their experience with the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's offical response to me was that they do not support files that are created by other PDF engines. In our case we use Big Faceless Org to convert files on the fly to PDF. These files open correctly in earlier version of Adobe and other vendors products. Adobe have also stated that a strengthing of the security in Acrobat XI is causing this issue and that the issue is due to the file.

When they tell you that there are no other reported incidents of this issue get them to look up case #0185370561: XI error insufficient data for an image

I spent a couple of months trying to get Adobe to do something about this but I was not able to get past 1st level support. According to them second level support rejected the ticket when they attempted to esculate it. Sounds like its a really big problem and as usual Adobe do not want to spend any time resolving issues when they are working on a new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

benreay wrote:

Adobe's offical response to me was that they do not support files that are created by other PDF engines. In our case we use Big Faceless Org to convert files on the fly to PDF. These files open correctly in earlier version of Adobe and other vendors products. Adobe have also stated that a strengthing of the security in Acrobat XI is causing this issue and that the issue is due to the file.

When they tell you that there are no other reported incidents of this issue get them to look up case #0185370561: XI error insufficient data for an image

I spent a couple of months trying to get Adobe to do something about this but I was not able to get past 1st level support. According to them second level support rejected the ticket when they attempted to esculate it. Sounds like its a really big problem and as usual Adobe do not want to spend any time resolving issues when they are working on a new version.

I guess my question would be, why would you or anyone expect Adobe to support pdf's made by third party software companies that are competing with their own pdf creator? If the third party wants to sell software that creates pdf files, they should make them compliant to Adobe standards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clear that one up , the day that Adobe create a product that does what we do with the BFO product we will buy it.

I think you have really missed the point , we are a corporate entitenty and are licensed for over 1500 computers and we paid maintenance. This worked in previous versions and due to changes that Adobe have made and admit to in there product it nolonger works. Hey but guess what , they are not willing to do anything about it.

If Adobe want to be a leader in the PDF space they really need to get on board with the whole support your client stragety.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to Test Screen Name, I cannot share the files as they are very much confidential so that isn't an option unfortunately.

I have sent test faxes to said printer and the image does come through properly (including colored background) but we have issues with the faxes coming from the hospital.  So it's the same process every time.  The printer converts the fax to PDF and we get this issue.  If it never worked I'd assume it's the printer or some other issue. Seems odd that the fax goes through, the file isn't corrupt, yet the newest version (and older versions for that matter) of Adobe products cannot open them all.

If I had to base Adobe support off of this thread, I'd assume this issue is a Microsoft's, "Working as intended" type issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, we haven't heard from Adobe support in this thread. Perhaps you could send yourself a test fax and have that approved for sharing.

It is certainly the case that Adobe now validates image data more strictly than it used to be, so non-conforming PDFs (perhaps those which have a little too much image data) might now fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, the files open fine using Foxit Reader.  Which would imply they are not corrupt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming the profile fixed the issue... implies that this has something to do with Profile Management.

What type of profile are you using (ie. Roaming)..  Please expand and ellaborate.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a sufficent work around for those of you with Adobe Acrobat 9.5.2 Professional and Standard

The following issue started with the Adobe Acrobat patch 9.5.2 This message will be displayed if the PDF has an embedded JPG image.

Adobe does not have a patch to resolve this error message yet. The solution below is a workaround until Adobe releases a fix.

When opening a PDF the following message is displayed: "Insufficient data for an image".

In order to view these PDF's, the user may "optimize" the file. The process is shown below.

As another alternative, the user may go to Citrix and open the PDF.

1. In Adobe Acrobat, Click OK.

2. Click Document> Optimize Scanned PDF> and Click OK.

3. The document will display properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help on this but, if I understood your workaround, it did not help at all.

The environment is Acrobat X Pro 10.1.4.

Here is my example changed to use optimization:

at

http://archive.org/details/pioneersongstert00thom

select PDF and save it

Open the downloaded PDF: pioneersongster00thorn.pdf

edit > preferences > page display

Zoom: Fit Page

OK

tools > recognize text > AA In This File

Recognize Text:

Pages: All pages

Settings: Primary OCR Language: English (US); PDF Output Style: Searchable Image; Downsample To:600 dpi

OK

Upon completion get "Insufficient data for an image"

OK

**now**

File > Save As > Optimized PDF

"The PDF document needs to be saved before it can be optimized. Do you want to save and continue?"

YES

The PDF Optimizer panel appears. It is complicated and with lots of options.

Two I have tried that don't seem to matter:

Check or uncheck "Optimize images only if there is a reduction in size"

Settings: "Custom" or "Standard"

Quality is "Medium"

OK

Now, review PDF page by page: every page except the front and back cover is blank.

Let's assume that the problem is the optimization options.

If you can get my example to work please let me know the deatils of the workaround.

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At last I understand.

Sorry I was so slow.

By the time you see the "Insufficient data for an image" message it is too late.

Exit Acrobat without saving anything. If you save the PDF it is worthless; reget the original.

Note that when I tried this procedure just using the "Optimize Scanned PDF" tool instead of saving and working with an optimized PDF the procedure failed with the "Insufficient data for an image" message. As a result, though the following procedure seems to include some redundant steps they appear to be necessary in this context.

From here on I'll assume you have added "Recognize text in this file" and "Manage Embedded Index" to your Quick Tools.

Open the downloaded PDF

File > Save As > Optimized PDF

UNcheck "Optimize images only if there is a reduction in size"

OK

Save [at this point you may want to save it under another name]

(for my PDF for my machine this took 5 minutes)

(I got the following message:

Conversion warning: THe PDF document contained image masks that were not downsampled"

OK

)

Select the "Recognize text in this file" quick tool

On the Recognize Text panel

Mark "all pages"

"Primary OCR Language English (US);

PDF Output Style Searchable Image

Downsample To: 600 dpi"

OK

(for my PDF for my machine this took 15 minutes)

Select the "Manage embedded index" quick tool

On the Manage Embedded Index panel

Select "Embed Index"

"The PDF document needs to be saved before an index can be embedded. Do you want to save and continue?"

Yes

OK

Edit > Find > Hog [this edit test works] so this workaround did the job.

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines