• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making the selection tool default in Adobe Reader DC

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2016 Jul 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though I click the selection tool, every time I open Adobe Reader DC, it reverts back to the hand tool. When I am viewing pdfs in Firefox and I switch to a different tab from the one that has the pdf, the cursor becomes a flashing hand tool. I was once able to get around this issue and make the selection tool default, but I no longer remember how I did it. Does someone have a solution for this issue? If I make the hand tool selection text and images, it still makes the cursor become a flashing hand tool when I am in Firefox and on a different tab from the one containing the pdf. I am using Win 10. This is very annoying because I often use the cursor to highlight and copy text and use the arrow keys to scroll, making the hand tool largely redundant. If there is a solution to this issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 24, 2016 Jul 24, 2016

Hi donaldc44485744

Please try to use the cleaner tool  Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs  and then restart your system.

Then try to install the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC from here: Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution 

Let us know if you still experience the issue.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi donaldc44485744

Please uncheck the box for "Make hand tool read articles" under Edit menu>Preferences> General.

Click OK to save settings and relaunch the application.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already tried that as well as unclicking all the "Make Hand tool..." options. I have also tried clicking the "Always display the keyboard selection cursor" under "Accessibility" and none of these worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi donaldc44485744

Please also mark the box for "Restore last view settings when reopening documents" under Edit menu> Preferences>Documents.

Could you please let us know if you experience this issue only when you open the PDF on Firefox.

Please share the dot version of Adobe Reader application you are using on your system.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the "restore last view settings..." feature selected.

This happens when I open pdfs within and outside of Firefox.

I am using Version 2015.016.20045.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also specify that restoring last view settings does not address this issue. It restores the pdfs to where I last view them but does not retain any of select tool setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 23, 2016 Jul 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi donaldc44485744,

Do you experience the issue when you directly open PDF in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC application?

If not, then it does not seems to be application issue.

Try to update the application to the latest patch released and check if resolves the issue.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2016 Jul 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi,

This issue occurs when I directly open a pdf in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. I noticed it first occur when I switched from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2016 Jul 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi donaldc44485744

Please try to use the cleaner tool  Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs  and then restart your system.

Then try to install the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC from here: Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution 

Let us know if you still experience the issue.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2016 Jul 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solved the problem. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To meenakshin83966505:

Dear Meenakshi,

Your advice appears to have worked for Donald, but it hasn't worked for me.  I've tried everything you've suggested in this thread and the hand tool still appears by default.  Do you have any more suggestions I might try?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Please try once to reset the preferences of the application.

You may refer the steps provided here How to reset Acrobat Preference settings to default. to reset the preferences.

Check if that helps.

If you still experience the issue, please let us know the dot version of the Adobe application and the OS you are working on.

Since when you experienced that the hand tool appears by default. Did you make any changes to the application?

Also check, if you get the same tool for each PDF. Try to open different PDFs and check.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meenakshi,

Thank you for your reply.  I reset the preferences according to the instructions and checked with multiple PDFs.  Still no success.

Technical info:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

2017 Release Version 2017.012.20098

Version File Version: 17.012.20098.44270

AGM Version 4.030.00071

CoolType Version 5.014.00023

Core Version 17.3072

JP2K Version 1.002.00002.38798

Windows 10 Pro

Version 1703

OS Build 15063.674

Hardware:

Lenovo Thinkpad T530

64-bit OS, x64-based processor

Sincerely,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AdamRMonteith,

Please try to uncheck the box for "Restore last view settings when reopening documents" under Edit menu > Preferences > Documents.

Click OK at the bottom to make the changes.

Then try to change the Hand tool to the Selection tool.

Check if that works.

If that works, you can then check the box again for "Restore last view settings when reopening documents".

It will remember the last tool selected in the document.

Let us know how it goes.

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  Your most recent suggestion of unchecking the "restore last view settings when reopening docs" did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me is:

1. EDIT
  2. PREFERENCES
  3. ACCESSIBILITY > UNCHECK ALWAYS DISPLAY THE KEYBOARD SELECTION CURSOR

Give it a shot?

brianteed​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!  That has worked for me as well.  I've been following this thread and trying everything.  This fixed the problem.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this a joke, the whole thing of having the select tool to be default is a hassle. A HASSLE, beause it continues to default to the to the select. whatever the answer here is needs to be cleansded up.  THERE IS NO VIABLE SOLUTION to this problem that was created for no giod reason. this is the answer I was linked to as the solution. THERE IS nO SOLUTION. FIX THIS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Meenakshi! That got my arrow keys working like they always used to work in the previous versions of Reader.

Kirk from California

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kirk,

You are welcome.

Glad to know it helped.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the instruction. The default to hand remains but starting MSWord generates an 0X0000142 error. Going through MS Office repair now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having same issue at donaldc44485744but mine is the selection tool is the default, and it doesnt matter what i select in the preferences.The cleaner program link below is not valid either. I recently upgraded to the 64 bit version, not sure if it is related to the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the Hand tool is annoying.. and to use the "Selection tool" as default - please follow the below steps:

1) Look under Preferences --> Acessibility
2) Check "Always display the keyboard selection"
3) Now Goto Preferences --> General and Uncheck all the 3 options that starts with "Make Hand tool...."
4) Close the program and restart it again
5) The Selection tool will now be default

Hope this helps !!

Thanks,

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't work.

Using Acrobat DC Pro Version 2022.001.20117

No matter what I do, hand tool is default.  Up until I got a new laptop a week ago, selction tool was always default and the change is super annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was driving me a bit crazy because I, too, wanted my documents to launch with the selection tool enabled, not the hand cursor. I tried all of the suggested setting changes but nothing worked. Then, I noticed that when I first launched documents, it was in text selection mode for about a second before switching to the hand cursor. I uninstalled and re-installed, and on first launch noticed a brief onscreen message that said something about touch mode being turned on. I use a laptop with a touch screen, so I guess it auto-detects that and defaults to some mode for that. Here's what finally resolved the text selection issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/disable-touch-mode-in-acrobat.html

I had to turn off touch mode, to get rid of the hand cursor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines