• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen tool automatically switches to the cursor / hand tool

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When first using the pen tool on a document, the pen tool is automatically switched to the cursor/panning tool. On subsequent markups this doesn't happen. This wastes time every time I mark up a new drawing in Adobe Acrobat DC Adobe Reader DC.

Steps to reproduce bug:

1. Select the pen tool under Comments

2. Use the pen tool on the PDF

3. Watch as the pen tool is automatically deselected and the cursor/pan tool is now active

4. Re-select the pen tool

5. Use the pen tool on the PDF

6. Watch as the pen tool is no longer automatically deselected, and you're able to make multiple markups at a time, for now..

7. Open a new PDF document

8. Select the pen tool again.

9. Use the pen tool on the PDF

10. Watch as the pen tool is automatically deselected and the cursor/pan tool is now active

Results: Pen tool is automatically deselected and cursor/pan tool is selected, preventing a second markup.

Expected results:Pen tool should remain selected until OPERATOR decides to select a different tool.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

THIS HAS BEEN DRIVING ME UP THE FLIPPING WALL!

I have been using this to do synchronous online classes and its been the bane of my existence. 

Super easy to fix.  Just click the thumb tack icon to the right of the comment tools at the top of the screen (it will be directly left of the paint can where you change the color. This "locks" the tool you are using. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SandB:

By "Pen" you mean the Drawing tool (red, below)? I can't reproduce this, but there are many versions of Acrobat DC (Versions, Mac/Windows, Continuous/Classic, and patches). What version and OS are you using?

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 8.43.42 AM.png

Also note that this is a user-to-user forum (I'm a user like you) and we help explain features. Log bug reports here: Acrobat for Windows and Mac: Top (2534 ideas) – Share your feedback on Acrobat DC

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pen tool issue.png

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Continuous Release Version is: 2019.010.20069

I'm using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC on Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sandb:

I just tested this again on Reader DC with no issue—same version but I am on a Mac.

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 9.24.22 AM.png

Since this is a Reader issue, I'll move this over to the forum Acrobat Reader for you. (This is the Acrobat forum and they are different products.) Maybe someone there can help or at least confirm.

But since this is so consistent, I'd recommend logging in the bug report and reference this thread.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found with the iPad I could make freehand notes (pen tool) without much trouble.

I got "upgraded" to a Microsoft Surface Pro and haven't been able to make notes with this method.

I make 1 or 2 strokes of the pen and the pen turns off and the next touch of the stylus pen selects the strokes I have made instead of continuing to make notes.

One reader said to click the "lock" for the pen but I don't know where that icon is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS HAS BEEN DRIVING ME UP THE FLIPPING WALL!

I have been using this to do synchronous online classes and its been the bane of my existence. 

Super easy to fix.  Just click the thumb tack icon to the right of the comment tools at the top of the screen (it will be directly left of the paint can where you change the color. This "locks" the tool you are using. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds great, but I don't see the thumb tack icon anywhere.  Where could I find it? 
(I'm on win10 / Acrobat Pro DC, can't find exact versions) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

if you have the draw tool selected, press CTRL + E, and properties of the drawing tool appear in a new small (kinda old-school) window. There you can select a box "Keep this tool selected".

Hope it works for you as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! It really helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could kiss you right now!  Thank you.  What an annoying bug that just started after a month of using Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Best answer. Solves the problem immediately

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AcroRd32_znOWmkz1G8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines