• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader doesn't recognize installed font

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a PDF file that contains a font (DavidD) that did not embed.  When Reader opens the file it announces "Unable to find/create font DavidD" even though that font is installed in my computer.  How can I get Reader to recognize this installed font?

Thanks for any assistance.

--Howard

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Hello Howard,

Sorry for the trouble, as per the description above, Adobe Reader is not displaying a font as you are getting an error message, Is that correct?

Please navigate to Adobe Reader's Preferences from Edit>Preferences>Page Display>Select "Use Local Fonts">Click OK>Close the PDF and Adobe Reader.

Does the change in the settings brings any difference in the PDF? If the issue persists, most likely the problem is that the PDF file does not have "DavidD" font embedded in the PDF file.

To confirm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Howard,

Sorry for the trouble, as per the description above, Adobe Reader is not displaying a font as you are getting an error message, Is that correct?

Please navigate to Adobe Reader's Preferences from Edit>Preferences>Page Display>Select "Use Local Fonts">Click OK>Close the PDF and Adobe Reader.

Does the change in the settings brings any difference in the PDF? If the issue persists, most likely the problem is that the PDF file does not have "DavidD" font embedded in the PDF file.

To confirm that the font is not embedded within the PDF file, open the PDF file and press Ctrl-D. Open the Fonts pane and scroll down looking for "DavidD". Next, to the font name, it should not say (embedded). That would confirm that the problem is due to the font not being installed on your system.

You might have to contact the author of the PDF and have to ask to embed the font in the source file or the in the PDFMaker application.

let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I was not clear.  I already know that the font is not embedded in the PDF.  But it is installed in my system. 

Isn't Reader supposed to be able to display an installed font even if it is not embedded in the received PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preferences > Page Display > Use Local Fonts did the trick!  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it's working now and you are back on track. Feel free to update this discussion for any further assistance.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anand,

For me the 'use local fonts' does not resolve the issue. Agfa Rotis Semisans is installed on my PC but it does not show up on the pdf. Even if I print it as graphic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, how do you use fonts that are not from Adobe fonts? I had CS6 before getting new computer and now I can't use those fonts. I get that embed notice and changes it to another font--not cool. I have other fonts that I love to use. How do you use other fonts beside the Adobe font family ones? Since moving from CS6 to Creative Cloud I am seeing that most of my previous fonts can't be embedded when exportig to PDF. 😞 I tried that method at top--"use local fonts" was already checked. 

Any suggestions??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are those “previous fonts” installed on your “new computer”? You cannot assume that fonts you had on an older computer under the CS6 applications are also available on a new system after you install CC applications.

Are the problems with PDF files created on the old system that you are trying to display on the new system or are you creating new PDF files on the new system and the fonts are not embedding?

More detailed information including OS and version, how you created the PDF files (and options), etc. would help assist you.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a problem with embedded fonts and Acrobat.  I created a document in MS Word and embedded the fonts and saved the file as a pdf, however, when I open the document in Adobe Acrobat, some fonts do not appear embedded; all of the not embedded fonts are of the ANSI encoding type.  I used only Times New Roman (and bold/italics versions of TNR) and Arial and a true type math font.  The fonts that did not appear embedded in the pdf version in Adobe Acrobat included Times New Roman PS - BoldMT, for example.  In other cases, the same font was listed twice with one being embedded and the other not (the ANSI encoding type version was not embedded).

Please help.  This is an important document, and I need to embed all fonts from the Word document.  The Word document was created from a template provided to me which had existing headings in Times New Roman font.

How can I ensure all fonts are embedded in the pdf version of the Word document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have 1 pdf which uses Myriad Pro and doesn't embed any fonts. In my windows 10, I have installed Myriad Pro. When I open acrobat reader, it doesn't show Myriad Pro font, Edit>Preferences>Page Display>Select "Use Local Fonts is ticked. but if I open the pdf by PDF-XChange Viewer, it shows Myriad Pro. Why this will happen? How can I fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why gujarati font not display in Adobe Reader in Android Mobile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, where the font appears when I use a program like Microsoft Word on my computer but when I try to apply the font in Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, it does not work. It jumbles up the letters (see image). I checked Preferences and "Use Local Fonts" is checked off. Any advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines