• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reading PDF Files with Arabic Charaters on Windows 10

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7, the Arabic characters in the PDF file sent to me from my bank appear as small square boxes and so does the debit sign. I am using Adobe Reader version XI, and my Arabic language settings on Windows 10 is correct. I appreciate your help in resolving this issue. Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

So, Simplified Arabic font is a restricted font by Microsoft Windows, this font as well as some other Arabic fonts used to come with Windows OS in XP and later, but apparently they stopped shipping them with newer OS such your Windows 10.

In order to view the content of bank statement properly, you must get this font by copying them from an older Windows OS. perhaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mnmasri,

You may try the steps suggested in the following link:

error in adobe reader for Arabic font appears in windows 7 and vista, however not appears on windows

Could you please confirm the Adobe Reader version installed on the computer?

To do that, launch Reader>click Help>select About Adobe Reader XI

Have you tried opening other pdf files to check if this is not a file specific issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I can confirm that I have Version XI of the Adobe PDF Acrobat Reader. Yes the problem is only with files sent from my bank; I do not have such a problem with files sent from other institutions

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm that, as you see the problem, you also see (at the same time) the window title abovecthisvoage saying Acrobat Reader? Or do you see something else? For example does the PDF fill the screen, or is this a tab in the Chrome browser, or ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That gobbledegook should have said "above this page", sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is clear that you don't have the fonts used in original document. You may go to the menu File > Properties and click on the "Fonts" tab to see which fonts are there. The fonts used in this PDF were restricted by Operating System at the bank end, that's why Arabic font in question nor its subset was embedded in the PDF.

I use a Mac, I received a number of such PDF in the past, the solution is to obtain the font in question, install on your computer and you should see content properly from there onward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF file fonts properties as sent by my bank are as follows:

Simplified Arabic Fixed

Type: TrueType

Encoding: Custom

Actual Font: Simplified Arabic Fixed

Actual font Type: TrueType

Now I have looked for these fonts in Microsoft library/store but I could not find them; I have also checked with various other fonts vendors ( Cool text / Lino Type / Mono type / My fonts ), but to no avail; they only have the "Open Type " fonts, not  the "True Type "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, Simplified Arabic font is a restricted font by Microsoft Windows, this font as well as some other Arabic fonts used to come with Windows OS in XP and later, but apparently they stopped shipping them with newer OS such your Windows 10.

In order to view the content of bank statement properly, you must get this font by copying them from an older Windows OS. perhaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines