Highlighted

Word Search in PDF not working as expected

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new computer using Windows 10 & Office 2016. I just edited an old PowerPoint file and saved it to PDF. I then did a word search in the newly created PDF which did not work as large blue boxes appeared. I tried this using both Adobe Reader DC & Adobe Acrobat X with similar results. I sent the document to a colleague and she cannot do a word search either. I then did a similar word search using older PDFs and it worked as expected. Any help would be appreciated.  

Hello Jackc,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. As per the description above, I can understand that you are not able to search a Word in a PDF which was converted from a powerpoint document, is that correct?

Are you getting any error message while searching any word? Are you using the Find function CTRL + F or the Advanced Search Feature Shift+Ctrl+F?

Have you tried searching any word in another PDF file? If not, please try. Make sure that you have the latest version of Adobe Reader DC installed, check for any pending updates of Adobe Reader DC from help>check for updates, reboot the machine after updating the Adobe Reader.

Navigate to Adobe Reader's Preferences once and disable the "Enable Fast Find" and Click on "Purge cache Contents", Click OK, close Adobe Reader and try again.

If it is specific to one PDF file, Is it possible to share the PDF file with us so that we can test it at our end? To share the file, please use Adobe Send feature, upload the file, share the link to files via private message only, How Do I Send Private Message

What is the dot version of Adobe Reader DC installed? To identify, please refer to Adobe article Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Word Search in PDF not working as expected

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new computer using Windows 10 & Office 2016. I just edited an old PowerPoint file and saved it to PDF. I then did a word search in the newly created PDF which did not work as large blue boxes appeared. I tried this using both Adobe Reader DC & Adobe Acrobat X with similar results. I sent the document to a colleague and she cannot do a word search either. I then did a similar word search using older PDFs and it worked as expected. Any help would be appreciated.  

Hello Jackc,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. As per the description above, I can understand that you are not able to search a Word in a PDF which was converted from a powerpoint document, is that correct?

Are you getting any error message while searching any word? Are you using the Find function CTRL + F or the Advanced Search Feature Shift+Ctrl+F?

Have you tried searching any word in another PDF file? If not, please try. Make sure that you have the latest version of Adobe Reader DC installed, check for any pending updates of Adobe Reader DC from help>check for updates, reboot the machine after updating the Adobe Reader.

Navigate to Adobe Reader's Preferences once and disable the "Enable Fast Find" and Click on "Purge cache Contents", Click OK, close Adobe Reader and try again.

If it is specific to one PDF file, Is it possible to share the PDF file with us so that we can test it at our end? To share the file, please use Adobe Send feature, upload the file, share the link to files via private message only, How Do I Send Private Message

What is the dot version of Adobe Reader DC installed? To identify, please refer to Adobe article Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jackc,

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue. No matter what I put in the search, it tell sme nothing is found even when i put something obvious that i can see in the document. 

I seem to recall that in other versions of adboe, a box would auto pop up asking to edit the document so that text was searchable but it is not giving that option anymore.

I tried to Purge Cache and removed fast find option. Still no results found. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact you can see something doesn't mean it's really there... Can you select that word with the mouse? If so, can you copy and paste it to another application (like Notepad)? If so, how does it look like when you paste it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't text yet. In prior verions, Adobe would convert the image to text so that words were searchable but I can't figure out how to do that in DC Pro. And thus my PDF file is not searchable and it's driving me batty. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Acrobat DC or Reader DC? This is only possible in the former. And if it doesn't happen by itself you can trigger it manually by running the Recognize Text command via the Tools panel.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DC, not Reader. 

I am in the Tools panel but don't see anything that says Recognize Text - which subcategory is it under? 

I feel like a total nitwit but this is seriosuly driving me nuts because I know I have Writeable access to Adobe adn have searched documents for Text before (but not in this version). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G I think i found it - in SCAN/OCR - it is running now. Fingers crossed!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that is not my issue. I'm using WordPerfect I am needing to combine a total of 5 documents into 1 searchable pdf and cannot.  I'm sorry I could not understand you...as I told you your call was breaking up and crackling - I have a deadline and could not wait any longer for you to get back on the line. I'll find another way.

Cari Duda

Zollie C. Steakley PLLC

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
osaydmq LATEST
New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem where I try to search a certain word in the pdf file ,but it always crashes when i press ctrl+f .So what I did is that I pressed help then repair installation,and it is working perfectly fine now .

Hope that's what your looking for.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Trending Issue & Solution
Edit PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC