• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word Search in PDF not working as expected

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new computer using Windows 10 & Office 2016. I just edited an old PowerPoint file and saved it to PDF. I then did a word search in the newly created PDF which did not work as large blue boxes appeared. I tried this using both Adobe Reader DC & Adobe Acrobat X with similar results. I sent the document to a colleague and she cannot do a word search either. I then did a similar word search using older PDFs and it worked as expected. Any help would be appreciated.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Hello Jackc,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. As per the description above, I can understand that you are not able to search a Word in a PDF which was converted from a powerpoint document, is that correct?

Are you getting any error message while searching any word? Are you using the Find function CTRL + F or the Advanced Search Feature Shift+Ctrl+F?

Have you tried searching any word in another PDF file? If not, please try. Make sure that you have the latest version of Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jackc,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. As per the description above, I can understand that you are not able to search a Word in a PDF which was converted from a powerpoint document, is that correct?

Are you getting any error message while searching any word? Are you using the Find function CTRL + F or the Advanced Search Feature Shift+Ctrl+F?

Have you tried searching any word in another PDF file? If not, please try. Make sure that you have the latest version of Adobe Reader DC installed, check for any pending updates of Adobe Reader DC from help>check for updates, reboot the machine after updating the Adobe Reader.

Navigate to Adobe Reader's Preferences once and disable the "Enable Fast Find" and Click on "Purge cache Contents", Click OK, close Adobe Reader and try again.

If it is specific to one PDF file, Is it possible to share the PDF file with us so that we can test it at our end? To share the file, please use Adobe Send feature, upload the file, share the link to files via private message only, How Do I Send Private Message

What is the dot version of Adobe Reader DC installed? To identify, please refer to Adobe article Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue. No matter what I put in the search, it tell sme nothing is found even when i put something obvious that i can see in the document. 

I seem to recall that in other versions of adboe, a box would auto pop up asking to edit the document so that text was searchable but it is not giving that option anymore.

I tried to Purge Cache and removed fast find option. Still no results found. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact you can see something doesn't mean it's really there... Can you select that word with the mouse? If so, can you copy and paste it to another application (like Notepad)? If so, how does it look like when you paste it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't text yet. In prior verions, Adobe would convert the image to text so that words were searchable but I can't figure out how to do that in DC Pro. And thus my PDF file is not searchable and it's driving me batty. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Acrobat DC or Reader DC? This is only possible in the former. And if it doesn't happen by itself you can trigger it manually by running the Recognize Text command via the Tools panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DC, not Reader. 

I am in the Tools panel but don't see anything that says Recognize Text - which subcategory is it under? 

I feel like a total nitwit but this is seriosuly driving me nuts because I know I have Writeable access to Adobe adn have searched documents for Text before (but not in this version). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G I think i found it - in SCAN/OCR - it is running now. Fingers crossed!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the solution! thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with the newest version of Adobe Reader. My colleague in Silicon Valley who is a senior manager at Oracle says that Adobe is intentionally restricting the functions in the free Adobe Reader to force people to buy the subscription. I believe this is the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Utter nonsense. Adobe has nothing to gain by doing that. People will just move to another free PDF viewer if they purposely crippled their application. One would hope a serious company such as Oracle would hire better people than that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know @try67 , it doesn't seem too far fetchedc to me. Throughout my entire Master's and PhD research I read hundreds, maybe thousands, of papers. I was able to easily search for key words and highlight text. Now I can't do either. Sounds like it is a very recent, pervasive problem. Either Adobe is trying to make a $ or they need to hire better people who can make software that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Feb 2023, it's not working on Acrobat Reader on v2023.008.20470.    I can do same seach on advanced search, thanks adobE. Moving out of it. Tested on every browser, copy/pasted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

horrible product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I just

installed another Reader and it is working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the problem was the Adobe Reader. I just

installed another PDF Reader and it is working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Nederlands [AAR DC NL] (version 20.012.20048, with all updates installed) on Windows 10 (with latest automatic updates installed) with MS Office Home 365 (all updates installed).
During the last weeks I am unable to search in all my PDF files. Always same message: " .. has searched document ... no corresponding word were found ..." even for words that appear in the title of the pdf and that appear 50 times in the whole pdf document. CTRL+F and Shift+CTRL+F do not work. 
In preferences I have disabled  "Enable Fast Find, purged cache, clicked OK". does not help.
In preferences I have increased max cache size from 100 MB to 20000 MB: same message (after searching in more pages of large document) that nothing was found. Is max cache size thereason? Do I have to increase max cache size to 100000 MB or more? 
There seem to be several issues with this version (Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Nederlands, version 20.012.20048). E.g. Copying a few marked sentences of the pdf into a Word document in order not to have to retype them does no longer work either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when you select that text on the page, copy it and then paste it in Word it comes out correctly or not?

If not, there's your problem... The font encoding of the file is incorrect, making it impossible to search it, even though it appears correct on the screen. You need to report this issue to the authors of the file so they could fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the issue

I see in the pdf file: "V54W1235" but when i past it to notepad I see:  "4/A,(+4."

The problem is that the author of the document is a machine supplier they are not willing to change the document for me :(. Is there another way for me to solve this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not with the free Reader, no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if the software was for free. I have the following software on my PC.

Anton5C3F_0-1607686040105.pngAnton5C3F_1-1607686078344.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Acrobat X Standard you can do it, I think. Export all the pages as images, then create a new PDF from those images and run Text Recognition on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue now, upon saving as PDF from Adobe FrameMaker.
How can I change the font encoding? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that is not my issue. I'm using WordPerfect I am needing to combine a total of 5 documents into 1 searchable pdf and cannot.  I'm sorry I could not understand you...as I told you your call was breaking up and crackling - I have a deadline and could not wait any longer for you to get back on the line. I'll find another way.

Cari Duda

Zollie C. Steakley PLLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem where I try to search a certain word in the pdf file ,but it always crashes when i press ctrl+f .So what I did is that I pressed help then repair installation,and it is working perfectly fine now .

Hope that's what your looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines