Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert multiple files (word docs) to multiple pdf

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2008 Oct 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there a script I can use in batch processing to convert about 1500 word documents into pdf? I know it's possible to convert multiple files into one pdf, but this is no good to me. Doing these conversions one by one is going to take forever!

I've tried selecting a few documents at a time and then selecting "convert to pdf" from the right-click menu, but each one requires that you tell it where to save, and then opens the file when it is done.

I need to convert Word files on a regular basis for work, and could really use a batch process for this with so many to do!

I have Acrobat 7 Pro (version 7.1.0) on XP Pro SP 2 at work, and Acrobat 8 Pro (Version 8.1.2) on XP Pro SP 3 at home.

If there is anyway it's possible to do this via a batch process I would really appreciate knowing how!!

Apologies if this has been covered in another thread, I searched but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance :)
TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Acrobat Professional you can use a batch sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was asking how to do this - as there doesn't appear to be a batch process for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fran, I think this might be possible using a JavaScript and a Batch sequence. For more details contact me by email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new batch sequence. Select 'Run commands on Selected Folder'. In the source file options enable 'Microsoft Office Word'. Then let run the sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying the same function in Acrobat Pro 9, but there is no function listed in my option to enable wrod docs...

What can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2009 Apr 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your advice but I don't have "Microsoft Office Word" as an option in my source file options. Do you know what would be missing - I have Office 2004 for Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd, we are searching for a way to convert multiple Word files as well, but can you clarify with more steps how we 'create a new batch sequence'?   Was not able to figure out how you do this.  We have Adobe Acrobat Standard 9.   Really appreciated if possible!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Batch sequences are not available in the Standard edition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2013 Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, could you tell me how to batch convert multiple word documents to pdfs in acrobat pro 9.5.3? It doesn't seem to recognize word as a supported source file. Thank you for any help you can give! Jamie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem- I have Acrobat XI pro- and i haven't been able to figure out how to batch convert word files to PDF. I actually need to convert them to PDF/A, but I would be happy to at least get the first step of converting them to PDF, because I think I could figure out from there how to use the preflight option to convert the PDFs to PDF/A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create an Action without any commands and run it on the folder with the Word files. They'll be automatically converted to PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea. I tried to create the action, thought, and if I don't add any tools to it it won't let me save the action-?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I see... They changed how it works. Just add a Save command, then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just me nattering here; but --

Something is different with Acrobat XI Pro and Office 2013.
Open Acrobat XI Pro's Preferences. Select the Category "Convert to PDF". Note that you may not have any MS Office applications listed.
Without that you cannot create an Action to operate on a "supported" file (format) as Word, Excel, etc won't be present.
As a data point:
--| Windows 8 (64-bit)
--| Acrobat XI Pro (via a TCS v4 subscription)
--| Office 2013 applications (via an Office 365 Home Premium subscription)

Acrobat's PDFMaker is present and functional for:
--| the Excel install
--| the Word install
--| the Outlook install
--| the PowerPoint install

For MS Access, reports can go to PDF or XPS via the MS publish to PDF routine (or exported to a Word rich text file or printed via the Acrobat installed Adobe PDF virtual printer).

For One Note Print to PDF using the Adobe PDF virtual printer. 

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2013 Dec 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I have a semi-solution for the problem, i hope you will like it!

If you use Adobe Acrobat Pro, then you have a printer named Adobe PDF.

Go to the Devices and Printers menu in the Start menu, then right click on the Adobe PDF printer.

Then click on the "print setup" or "print settings"*.

On the Adobe PDF Settings tab set the output folder and click out the "View Adobe PDF result" and OK.

Then go to that folder, where the doc files placed, Ctrl+A and right-click->Print.

I takes pretty long time, but after that the single PDFs created.

Enjoy!

Andras

*Sorry for that guys, just I use a hungarian version of win7 so I dont know the exact english form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2013 Dec 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The conversion of MS Office documents to PDF goes through a number of steps and helper programs. You may need to check the PDF converter within Word for the option to prompt or not prompt for file name, Distiller for the same option,and the Adobe PDF printer for the same option. Also make sure the option to display the resulting PDF is turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2011 Aug 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bernd, your instructions worked for me. I was a little confused at first as I was trying to work out what command to use - but there is no command! You ignore point 1. and just do 2. and 3.

For those who find this forum through Google if you want to merge a number of Word Documents into a single PDF go to file - create PDF - from multiple files. This will convert seperate Word docs into one PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no batch sequence for converting files to pdf... otherwise I would have done this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try67,

why didn't you post your solution in this forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still don't have a solution to this, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the batch sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I already posted - there is no batch sequence to convert multiple Word documents to Multiple pdfs without opening them all - that was the first place I looked. I need a JavaScript to do this with the batch sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I need to clarify a bit here - I need to convert around 1500 documents from Word format to pdf format. I need a batch process that will do this WITHOUT opening each Word document, and WITHOUT opening each completed pdf document.

Using a new sequence in the batch processing, it is possible to convert documents, but for every document you do, you have to keep clicking on "OK" when it tells you that "whatever" can't be saved because it is open elsewhere (Acrobat is opening the thing in the first place) and I would end up with about 1500 open Word documents (which would crash my computer).

I need to run a batch process, unsupervised (so I can get on with the rest of my work on a separate computer) that won't open each document as it processes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Using a new sequence in the batch processing, it is possible to convert documents, but for every document you do, you have to keep clicking on "OK" when it tells you that "whatever" can't be saved because it is open elsewhere (Acrobat is opening the thing in the first place) and I would end up with about 1500 open Word documents (which would crash my computer).

Looks like a problem with your installation. I don't have any problem using such a batch sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines