• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to debug plugin in Visual Studio 2013?

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed all the necessary steps as descripted in the Plugin Apps Developer Guide document to debug a plugin into Visual C++:

Specify the Acrobat plug-ins directory under the link | output tab in the Project settings dialog box.

● Specify the Acrobat or Adobe Reader executable under the executable for debug session in the Project settings dialog box.

● The first time you build a plug-in, do a Rebuild All.

● Set breakpoints in your source code by selecting the line and clicking the hand icon or pressing the F9 key.

● After setting breakpoints, press the F5 key to have Microsoft Visual Studio launch Acrobat or Adobe Reader.

However I received the following message when a press F5 key:

Capturar.PNG

Of course I don't have PDB file of Acrobat's executable. So what do I have to do? Other question, the plugin have a lot of callbacks, can VS handle that?

Thanks,

Rodrigo Gonçalves.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

‌Stop trying to launch Reader. Lauch Acrobat. Build plugins to the Acrobat plug_ins folder not Reader. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just click on "Yes". You cannot debug Acrobat, but you can debug your own plug-in. The debugger has all the information it needs to allow you to debug your own code. Just set a breakpoint in e.g. the handshake functions and you should be able to see what's going on. If you don't get to the handshake functions, chances are that your plugin is not being loaded successfully. In that case, check that all libraries your plug-in depends on are available in directories where they can be found. And yes, all the callbacks should be handled correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I've tried press "Yes" but the breakpoint could not be hit. I set the breakpoint in PIHandshake function for test and it doesn't work. I tried also to open the Modules window to load the modules and the only module that does not load is the AcroRd32.exe. Because of this I think that was the problem.

I've googled and I tried a lot of combination of settings by changing the working directory, the command to load Acrobat Reader executable, the post-build event command to enable plugin into Adobe directory, etc. As well as attach to process. None of these attempts were successful.

In my case I want to debug the DocSign sample, therefore I presume that libraries is all available and can be found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you are creating your own plug-in and have RIKLA (Adobe Reader Integration Key License), you cannot load or debug a plug-in in Reader. You will need Adobe Acrobat to play around with the sample plug-ins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I want to create my own plug-in and I have RIKLA. I am getting started with SDK developing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to develop and debug your plug-in in Acrobat. See here for more information about what the process of developing a Reader plug-in is:

http://help.adobe.com/livedocs/acrobat_sdk/9.1/Acrobat9_1_HTMLHelp/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp...

This was written for Acrobat/Reader 9, but still applies to newer versions of Acrobat/Reader as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said, I have RIKLA, the keypair file and I've done all the development and contractual tasks. My plug-in is loaded by Acrobat Reader DC normally.

Unless I'm missing some step, I don't know what else can be done to be enable the debug.

There is a sample project of Visual Studio for download that can debug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Message at the breakpoint: "The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Are you seriously trying to do this without owning Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by owning Acrobat? How do I do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can buy, or subscribe to, Acrobat Pro or Acrobat Standard. You should not expect to be able to make Reader plug-ins unless you have first tested and debugged them in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

& of course you can only debug the Debug build, not the production build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I do own Acrobat, but VS doesn't launch Acrobat after press F5. Only appears that message that I showed earlier. Setting of my project bellow:

Configuration Properties > Debugging > Command  => C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

Configuration Properties > Debugging > Working Directory  => C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\

However, the Acrobat process appears in Windows Task Manager as background process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Stop trying to launch Reader. Lauch Acrobat. Build plugins to the Acrobat plug_ins folder not Reader. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Acrobat Reader DC is a Reader and not a Acrobat? I can only use the debugger owning and launching Acrobat? Indeed, I don't have Acrobat folder here, only Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Yes Acrobat Reader is not Acrobat. Yes you need to buy it or subscribe to Acrobat. Haven't we been clear enough? Do you now follow the difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your support.

More one question. Can you tell me why it is only possible to debug in Acrobat? The Reader should not work as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I don't know, I have never tried, I do not make Reader plugins, the strict license terms are too limiting . I do know the expected workflow is to create a plugin (with Reader options) and fully test and debug it in Acrobat before applying the Reader key And testing with Reader. All other developers have started with Acrobat, which is why I am surprised by your chosen path and why I doubt we can help you. Have you tried with Acrobat yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Guide says:

● Specify the Acrobat or Adobe Reader executable under the executable for debug session in the Project settings dialog box.

So I had not seen problem using the Reader. Anyway, I downloaded the trial version of Acrobat today and nothing seems different.

Configuration Properties > General > Output Directory => C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins

Configuration Properties > Debugging > Command  => C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\AcroRd32.exe

Configuration Properties > Debugging > Working Directory  => C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌So using Acrobat you cannot debug? Correct? I am not interested in the Reader case.

Is this the debug build?

Did you copy the plugin after building?

Does the plugin load normally in Acrobat without debug?

Did you start with a sample project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey...you are still running Acrord32.exe. Stop doing that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mistake! I change AcroRd32.exe to Acrobat.exe and now it works! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to do Debug the Acrobat Sdk dc Plugins in visual studio 2019.

I tried so many ways to debug the project, still no hint.

I kept attached path in command section also,not working
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Please guide to me

facing issue:

Chenchaiah5C1E_1-1633081065366.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your message seems clear. You are trying to "run" BasicPlugin.api. As the message says, this is not an application. The application you need to run is acrobat.exe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, My output need to come .api only. Based on api I'm pasting that in to plugins folder output will display.

I need to debug that plugin application, Please guide. If any need change setting please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines