• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open Acrobat Pro DC in Scan Mode from VB.NET

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our company has upgraded to Acrobat Pro DC from Adobe Pro X and the following line of code no longer functions to open Adobe in Scan mode:

AdobeAcro.MenuItemExecute("Scan")

Can someone direct me to help files for coding with Acrobat Pro DC with VB.NET?  

Thank you,

Anthony

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Items removed from the menu have no replacement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This line of code opens an instance of Acrobat in Scan mode.  Is there a way to do that with DC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty sure no. It’s just sheer luck that there was once a menu item that entered scan mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Scan menu gone from Acrobat DC why is MenuItemIsEnabled("Scan") still returns a True?

A False return value would make more sense since there is no menu item with that name anymore.

Regards,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The menu item "Scan" exists in Javascript. It is the name for following entry:

File > Create > PDF from Scanner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats good to know. Thank you.

But when I call MenuItemExecute("Scan") from a C# app nothing happens except a true return value.

When I tried app.listMenuItems() in the JS console I'll get

oChildren:[[cName:NewDocFromFile] [cName:Scan] ..

so it looks like the scan name is part of NewDocFromFile which would make sense.

So the question would be if and how NewDocFromFile and Scan could be used as a single argument for MenuItemExecute().

Regards,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you execute
app.execMenuItem("Scan");
in the Javascript console you will get this:

Bild1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For some reasons this does not work from a language like C#. But I will give it another try. But thanks for trying this out (I was just about to try this myself;)

Regards,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the company has moved to DC from X and our application with X opened Adobe ready to scan.  Are you saying that this method was never intended to be included in X or that it was an accident? 

Is there documentation on how to code for DC in .NET code?  Would you send me more information so I can work on a solution?

Thank  you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Acrobat SDK contains supported interfaces. There isn’t one to do this. Notice that you were executing a menu item - it was never a special function to enter scanning from your app. There just happened to be a Scan menu item, which you found useful. Now notice most menus are removed in DC. That’s why it no longer works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now have DC installed on my machine so I can actively work with it.  I see that the menu items are gone and I understand that my code as it worked with X will not work with DC.  I am trying now to open DC from my application so that it is connected to my application so when a file is scanned through the DC interface it will be stored in my system.  Does this make sense?  

This was my code:

Dim sPDFFileName As String = Path.GetTempFileName.ToLower.Replace(".tmp", ".pdf")

AdobeAcro.MenuItemExecute("Scan")

AVDoc = CType(AdobeAcro.GetActiveDoc, Acrobat.AcroAVDoc)

If AVDoc IsNot Nothing Then

If AVDoc.IsValid Then

'continue

PDDoc = CType(AVDoc.GetPDDoc, Acrobat.AcroPDDoc)

m_PDFPageNumbers = PDDoc.GetNumPages

PDDoc.Save(1, sPDFFileName)

PDDoc.Close()

End If

AVDoc.Close(CInt(True))

End If

AdobeAcro.CloseAllDocs()

AdobeAcro.Exit()

KillAdobe()

If File.Exists(sPDFFileName) Then

'open it for editing

Dim pInfo As New ProcessStartInfo

'Start the correct version of acrobat from the existing path

pInfo.FileName = StartUp.DetectAcrobat

pInfo.Arguments = "/A ""zoom=45&pagemode=thumbs"" """ & sPDFFileName & """"

launchProcess = New Process

launchProcess = Process.Start(pInfo)

launchProcess.WaitForExit()

' Other processing before returning sPDFFileName to the calling object.

End If

So, I wonder if I can open DC from my application in a similar fashion so whatever is scanned is returned to my application.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to open an instance of Acrobat DC from a .NET application with the intention of scanning a document and saving said document to the .NET application?   The idea is to keep the scanning within our application, but use Acrobat as the scan tool.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the SDK and all the tools come with the purchase of Acrobat DC Pro?  I would like to investigate using Windows IAC to get the functionality that we are looking for.  Is it possible to use that to run Adobe from within our VB.NET windows form application to scan, edit, view PDFs?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find the SDK here:

Acrobat DC SDK Documentation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the SDK is free to download. There are no tools that I can think of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines