• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very new to scripting in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really could do with your help on this.  I am reading posts around text fields auto populating based on dropdown box selection.  However, it doesnt seem to work fully.

I have a dropdown box (Level of Cover) with differing levels of Cover such as

£15,000

£25,000

£45,000

Each level of cover has a different claim limit which I would like to auto populate in a seperate text field (ClaimLimit)

I have added the following in Custom Keystroke Script within the dropdown box

if(event.willCommit == false) {

this.getField("Text1").value = event.changeEx;

}

And then added the followingcustom format script within the text box

event.value = this.getField("Level of Cover").value;

However, the text box does not seem to change when I test the dropdown box.  It puts in the first one I select, and then does not change when I select a different option

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks anyone, really appreciate the help on this. 

I have attached the document

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no field called Text1 in this file... And even if there was, you don't need both. The second code is sufficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that, I have now removed it, however, I am still getting the issue where the value in the text box is not updating when I make a selection within the dropdown box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try moving  code to "Custom Calculation Script"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nesa, that seems to have sorted it.

I might be back with more questions, later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How easy is it, to enable the one dropdown to populate 3 or 4 different text fields

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use a validation script for the dropdown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that, but being honest, I wouldn't know where to start with that.

My dropdown is as above, however, based on the level of cover selected, I would like to pre populate the following text fields

CoverDuration

ClaimsLimit

Premium

Reason (this will need to be a multiline statement)

Sorry to ask for so much assistance, but I am very much a novice on this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have tried the below javascript and getting the below errorerror message.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text that contains spaces must be placed in quotes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

This is what I have within Custom Keystroke Script

if( event.willCommit ) {
if(event.value == "") this.resetForm(["CoverDuration","ClaimLimit","Premium","Reason"]); else SetFieldValues(event.value);
}

& This is the javascript I have within the dropdown

function SetFieldValues()
{// Place all pre-population data into a single data structure
var DeptData = { "24 Month - Up to £15,000":{ Premium: "£299", CoverDuration: "24 Months", ClaimLimit: "Up to Purchase Price", Reason: "Becuase I can" }, "24 Month - £15,001 - £25,000":{ Premium: "£399", CoverDuration: "24 Months", ClaimLimit: "Up to Purchase Price", Reason: "Because I can" }};
function SetFieldValues(cDeptName) {
// Populate fields with values from the Department Data Object
this.getField("CoverDuration").value = DeptData[cDeptName].CoverDuration;
this.getField("ClaimLimit").value = DeptData[cDeptName].ClaimLimit;
this.getField("Premium").value = DeptData[cDeptName].Premium;
this.getField("Reason").value = DeptData[cDeptName].Reason;
}}

Still nothing working...help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does you define the function SetFieldValues inside the function SetFieldValues ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know, I just pretty much copied this from https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/change_another_field/

To be honest I dont have a clue what I am doing, just copying and pasting to see if something works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really would appreciate some help and advice on this as I want to learn

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you are not actually copying the code correctly or following instructions. However, this is on the more advanced side of programming and it takes a little background knowledge to get it right. 

First the "SetFieldValues()" script is a Document Level script.  You can read about this type of script and how to enter it here:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/Document-Level-Scripts.cfm

In order to re-use code someone else has written, you will almost always need to modify it. To do this properly you'll need to understand a little bit about how programming works. You would also benefit from some basic Core JavaScript training. You find plenty of  free tutorials online, although you need to be careful because pretty much all of them are based on HTML programming.  Try to stick to learning just the core material.

You can read about Acrobat specific JavaScript and about List fields here:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/List-Field-Usage-and-Handling.cfm

Now, after you've moved the "SetFieldValues()" script to the document level, remove the first line.  A function can only be defined once. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the advice and links, will definitely start to learn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I couldn't find "Reason" field in file so I made one, can you test this  file and see if it's close to what you need?

Move reason field to where you need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nesa, once again, you have come to the rescue.  Really very much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nesa

I am pulling my hair out.  I copied and pasted what you did into actual document and updated the levels of cover etc

Now for some reason I am getting a Syntax Error missing : after property id 7: at line 8.  

You can see the actual document and scripting I have tried to use here Document 

I really dont understand as to why it is not working.  I have tried to read up on syntax errors by way over me

Sorry to be a pain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Code writing 101: Word is NOT a code editor. Use either a plain-text editor (if you're on Windows I recommend Notepad++), or some other application that was built for code editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're missing the closing bracket for DeptData. If you edit the code in Notepad++ (and use JavaScript as the language), it will be very clear as the color of a non-matching bracket is different to the color of a matched one when placing the caret next to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no document level script in that file. Only code in the file is one in dropdown field (if you want to reset fields you need to write your default choice that you want to reset other fields in this case replace "Level of cover" with "Please make a selection".

You need to make document level script in my file you can find it if you go to "prepare form" mode and press SHIFT+D or choose "Javascript" tool and select document javascript. Look at my code and adapt it to your needs if you have trouble let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They couldn't apply the code because of the syntax error in it (see my previous reply). The editor won't accept it in its current state. That's why it's posted as a separate file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had some free time so I looked into your file and here it is, hope everything works for you now.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1-4U-b5W3PImvfJmKmigZ0ppIYgT1ZK1I 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much, I cannot believe how quickly you did that.

You have saved me hours!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines