• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

adobe acrobat DC will not open. A message comes up that said Woindows cannot find it

Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried several fixes from the forum.  So far nothing works.  All my other apps are fine.  Please see attachment to see what message comes up.  Thank you.

LP

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Hi All

We are sorry to keep you waiting. Please try the steps below and see if that works for you.

1.Close the Adobe Acrobat DC

2. Hold down Windows key and press R on your keyboard, this will bring up Run dialogue box.

3. Type regedit in the run dialogue box and hit Enter

4. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options, delete the key Acrobat.exe

5. Relaunch the application and check.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. Please try to reboot the computer once and check for any missing/pending updates for the computer OS.

If it still doesn't work, please try to create a new test user profile on Windows with full admin rights and try using the application there and check.

If it still doesn't work, please try the following steps
1. Remove the application using the Acrobat Cleaner Tool https://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html
2. Reboot the computer
3. Reinstall the application using the link https://helpx.adobe.com/in/download-install/kb/acrobat-downloads.html

Keep us posted with the results.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed these instructions and am still getting this message:

golfpromal1_0-1591749739374.png

What the heck is going on here?  I have been messing with this problem for a couple hours now.  I have used this product for years with zero issue.  What is up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never had an issue with Acrobat DC until this morning, I have the exact same issue and same message also.

Have followed Amal's instructions with no success. Have updated windows 10, created a new admin profile, have run the cleaner and reinstalled still no success.

Decided to download and run the Reader to see if that works - yes that works.

Please advise further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, I am having the exact same issue and same message.

I did do updates and then uninstalled and reestalled Acrobat DC Pro, and it still exists.  Do I have to run the cleaner first?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Windows10 62bit ver1903" from Japan
-------Message-----
"Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files(x86)\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."
-------------------
I have exactly the same symptoms.
Even if I delete it with "Acrobat Cleaner Tool" and reinstall it, it doesn't recover.
"Acrobat Reader" can be used.
To my surprise, it starts up from "acrobat.exe" in another drive of 32bit version that I used.
I'm suspicious of administrator privileges or "Creative Cloud Desktop tool".

I'm worried that it went wrong after I tried to install the "zoom" app. Is there anything to do with it?

frypanman

fryPM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

We are sorry to keep you waiting. Please try the steps below and see if that works for you.

1.Close the Adobe Acrobat DC

2. Hold down Windows key and press R on your keyboard, this will bring up Run dialogue box.

3. Type regedit in the run dialogue box and hit Enter

4. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options, delete the key Acrobat.exe

5. Relaunch the application and check.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat DC is working again.

Thanks you Amal for the fix.

Thank you frypanman for the potential cause.

Have disabled sleep mode for Acrobat DC to prevent any further issues with software updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is fixed for me as well, thank you all involved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, Amal.
solved.
"Avast Cleanup Premium" was the cause in my case.
It seems that the data remains in the registry you pointed out because the software was deleted (updated?) in the "Sleep" state in "Speed Up" of "Avast Cleanup Premium".
It was a sleep state forever.

fryPM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problems 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, this seems to be working so far

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Amal,

Your fix worked perfectly - THANKS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marty

We are glad to hear that the solution worked for you and the application is up and running.

Feel free to contact us for any assistance required in the future.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

++Adding to the current solution,

This doesn't look at all like a problem related to  Adobe Acrobat.

Unless, there is something that Acrobat does during an initial install or during updates that we are not aware of, anything that you do to a Microsoft Windows registry is basically too advanced for the average computer user, specially if you don't even have a clue of what is the root of an error message, and where to start looking for clues in your own computer.

Before self-proclaiming yourself as a victorious registry "hacker", always consult with additional official Microsoft guidance.

I suspect this issue is not exactly an error, but a security layer that was added with newer versions of Windows 10, in which the operating system will only allow to install or find programs to handle specific files and documents, but ONLY if such programs are trusted and  offered through the Microsoft Store.

If this would be the case, and before you decide to fool around  with registry hives, also check if your version of Windows 10 has S mode enabled.

To disable S mode, refer to the steps described in the following link:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines