Highlighted

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC: Highlight tool changes from freehand to text select.

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to backcheck some pdf drawings and to do so, i highlight my original markup if its been picked up. While doing this, ive noticed there are two forms of the highlight tool. Both come from the same tool button the "highlight tool". One form is a circular cursor that does freehand highlighting. The other is a vertical bar like a capitol letter "I" that only highlights text. I cant determine why, but the version of the tool that i get to use varies between pdf's. Is there a way to set the freehand tool as default?

Thank you for the help!

You probably have worked this out by now, it took me a while to figure it out as well. If it is a scanned pdf then you need to do/run a text recognition/image recognition on the page (or you can also choose the entire document).  Once you do that it recognizes the individual sentences and then the text cursor appears.  I use the Comment tool, select with the text cursor then click on the highlighter symbol to highlight the selected text.

TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC: Highlight tool changes from freehand to text select.

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to backcheck some pdf drawings and to do so, i highlight my original markup if its been picked up. While doing this, ive noticed there are two forms of the highlight tool. Both come from the same tool button the "highlight tool". One form is a circular cursor that does freehand highlighting. The other is a vertical bar like a capitol letter "I" that only highlights text. I cant determine why, but the version of the tool that i get to use varies between pdf's. Is there a way to set the freehand tool as default?

Thank you for the help!

You probably have worked this out by now, it took me a while to figure it out as well. If it is a scanned pdf then you need to do/run a text recognition/image recognition on the page (or you can also choose the entire document).  Once you do that it recognizes the individual sentences and then the text cursor appears.  I use the Comment tool, select with the text cursor then click on the highlighter symbol to highlight the selected text.

TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 23, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you hover with the mouse above text it will automatically switch to the text selection mode. If you want it to always be in "free form" mode hold down Ctrl while using it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2017 1
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a scanned document, so there is no text. Also i tried holding control when highlighting and it did not make it the freehand highlight tool.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Mac or PC? I tried using that trick, but I can't get it to stay in freeform mode. I am on a mac.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2017 1
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on PC running windows 10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2017 0
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I am sure someone will provide this workaround. I am aware that i can change the drawing freehand tool to mimic a highlighter. I would just prefer to have the freehand highlighter instead of a workaround.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2017 0
Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there's no text in the file then the text selection option will never appear... Maybe someone ran Text Recognition on it at some point?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2017 0
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think my issue just might be an outdated software. Is this correct?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2017 0
Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be... It's usually a good idea to have the latest version installed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2017 0
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell that to our IT... Well ill see if i can get them to push an update out. Thanks again for the help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2017 0
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe pro dc. I received a pdf file of 200+ pages. I want to highlight some entries. All I can find is the freehand O shaped icon that makes it look like a 5 year old or a drunk highlighted it. So how to I mark text and then color it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 25, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Tools > Enhance Scans

Then you can select text and highlight it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2017 1
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope that don't work either. No it seems to be only on this document I downloaded. It is OCR, I have edited and saved as a different file. I optimized it stil only the O and the selection tool the cross

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2017 0
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on the highlighter pen.  Click on Show Properties.  Click on keep tool selected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 19, 2018 0
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope it still creates an Oval rather than just highlighting the area/text you select. Any other ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Stephanieh,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the Oval shape highlighter? To share the screenshot, refer to https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-7043#jive_content_id_How_do_I_attach_a_screenshot

Have you tried with another PDF file or is it specific to this PDF file?

Also, check for any pending updates of Acrobat from help>check for updates, reboot the machine after installing the updates and see if this brings any difference.

Also, what is the dot version of Acrobat installed on your computer? To identify refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,Anand Sri.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 1
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anand Sri - I'm having the same text highlighting problem you addressed here. I want to keep the highlighter tool as a text highlighter NOT freeform. I didn't see you give a specific answer, though. Help?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 08, 2019 0
New Here ,
May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2018 0